• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I don’t get the hysteria with this???? The FLU has already killed thousands of people and it doesn’t get any press?
    In the US, flu has killed 0.056% of people infected since October 2019 to February 22, 2020 (latest reported data).

The WHO, hours ago, revised the worldwide mortality rate for SARS-CoV-2 upward to 3.4%. Most of these numbers are from January 2020 onward.

This new virus in humans spreads more easily than flu. It just hasn't spread as far as yet. It is thought that it will eventually be endemic, like flu and other human coronaviruses that cause mild colds, and infect a larger proportion of the population.

Countries are scrambling to restrict its spread so we can have the same tools in place that we have for flu (like widely available diagnostic capability, antiviral drugs, and hopefully a vaccine) that helps limit the spread of flu and the mortality. Otherwise, maybe not this spring, but in fall when respiratory infections kick up again, there will be a lot of deaths and hospitals overwhelmed with very sick individuals.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don’t get the hysteria with this???? The FLU has already killed thousands of people and it doesn’t get any press?

Not to mention the very significant morbidity.

5% of people who are diagnosed with Covid require artificial respiration. Another 15% need to breathe in highly concentrated oxygen - and not just for a few days. The duration from the beginning of the disease until recovery is 3 to 6 weeks on average for these severe and critical patients (compared to only 2 weeks for the mildly ill).

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Salesforce (a tech products and services company with 50,000 employees, many of whom are salespeople and account reps and spend a lot of time flying) just announced it is suspending non-essential travel for all employees; is making upcoming March customer events digital instead of in-person; and encouraging employees to stay home if they are experiencing illnesses of any kind...

Edited to add: United also waiving change fees for airline travel through the rest of March...

Last edited:

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Salesforce (a tech products and services company with 50,000 employees, many of whom are salespeople and account reps and spend a lot of time flying) just announced it is suspending non-essential travel for all employees; is making upcoming March customer events digital instead of in-person; and encouraging employees to stay home if they are experiencing illnesses of any kind...

Edited to add: United also waiving change fees for airline travel through the rest of March...

The IMF Spring Meeting will now be “virtual” waiting to find how much joy that will bring me

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Wonder how many companies will continue to do more “teleconferencing” once this virus has calmed down. Will the cost savings make up for face to face lost sales?

mickeyk9

Member Lives Matter
    Aug 18, 2011
    quantum spins
    I flew to Denver early Sunday morning for the American Physical Society annual Spring conference which was set to start Monday but exhibitors typically setup the day before. Landed in Denver to find out the conference was cancelled and word went out as I was in-flight. Smh.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Monday night the Walmart in Georgetown, DE had no bleach. The Dollar Tree next door was fully stocked. 96oz for $1. 1 gal of "cleaning bleach" for $1.

Both had plenty of rice. DT had 2lb bags of white or brown for a $1. I didn't check the prices at WM.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia

Now if I could do math I would’ve gone to med school but the way this non expert sees it it’s bigger deal than the seasonal flu. IIRC seasonal flu infection rate is around 3-10%. This is more infectious. Say a 20% infection rate, with a 3.4% morbidity rate then you are talking over 2.25 million deaths in US alone. Fidelity and Teratos be nice if I’m way off base. It’s early.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Now if I could do math I would’ve gone to med school but the way this non expert sees it it’s bigger deal than the seasonal flu. IIRC seasonal flu infection rate is around 3-10%. This is more infectious. Say a 20% infection rate, with a 3.4% morbidity rate then you are talking over 2.25 million deaths in US alone. Fidelity and Teratos be nice if I’m way off base. It’s early.

LOL. Slight correction.

Morbidity is the rate of being diseased. In this case, 5% end up on ventilators, 20% need hospitalization/supplemental oxygen. It takes 3-6 weeks to get over it.

We are looking at a roughly 3% mortality (death) rate. Quite high when compared with influenza.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Thanks! Stupid insomnia. I see I confused morbidity rate with mortality rate. So you’re saying 3.4% morbidity rate ( the frequency of the population that the disease appears in) and of that 3% will die (the mortality rate)?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks! Stupid insomnia. I see I confused morbidity rate with mortality rate. So you’re saying 3.4% morbidity rate ( the frequency of the population that the disease appears in) and of that 3% will die (the mortality rate)?

3.4% mortality rate. That was revised today.

A lot falls under morbidity:
    At least 20% hospitalized
    5% in ICU on ventilators.
    Basically, morbidity is any illness/complication related to the disease. So just being unable to work will be a morbidity and will include a large percentage of people.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Fellas...two words...deer cart.

I thought about keeping my eye out for guys pushing shopping carts full of stuff down the street and then taking the full cart from them. But, that just makes you a target for the next guy. It is hard to move in and out of the shadows when you are pushing a cart. And, that squeaky wheel is going to be a siren call to all of the others looking for easy pickings.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I thought about keeping my eye out for guys pushing shopping carts full of stuff down the street and then taking the full cart from them. But, that just makes you a target for the next guy. It is hard to move in and out of the shadows when you are pushing a cart. And, that squeaky wheel is going to be a siren call to all of the others looking for easy pickings.

Think Ninja outfit and a can of WD-40. :D

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I just need one more case of Spam (low sodium if I can find it) and another case of Stag Chili. I should be set.

chrisflhtc

Jan 28, 2010
    Hagerstown
    I have 60 day supply of food for all family members more now that my oldest is away at school. I also have camp stoves portable propane heaters and potassium permagnate for purifying. I have 6- 7 gallon jugs and a water filter that I can pump from the stream down the road a ways it I have to. I have a well with a 1500 gallon storage tank so I think I'm good

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    LOL. Slight correction.

Morbidity is the rate of being diseased. In this case, 5% end up on ventilators, 20% need hospitalization/supplemental oxygen. It takes 3-6 weeks to get over it.

We are looking at a roughly 3% mortality (death) rate. Quite high when compared with influenza.

3% mortality rate is comparable with the 1812 Spanish flu

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    LOL. Slight correction.

That’s worldwide correct? And if so then the rate in the USA is still quite low and still around the .02%. Correct me if I’m wrong please. I also found these interesting especially the recovery rates. The actual vs logarithmic stats.

Attachments

• B38F2C10-7A56-4E5D-BA90-3AA8EE1A45BB.jpg
      B38F2C10-7A56-4E5D-BA90-3AA8EE1A45BB.jpg
      25.6 KB · Views: 189
    • BA731FA5-3AF6-44F5-B056-CFF30558EDCF.jpg
      BA731FA5-3AF6-44F5-B056-CFF30558EDCF.jpg
      26.2 KB · Views: 188

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009