• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BayouBengal

May 12, 2020
    Montgomery County
    Hey Everybody!

I got into collecting C&R rifles back in 2010...there's just something about wood and steel. I used to shoot field precision rifle and enjoy the sound of bullets plunking steel gongs, along with the occasional shattering of airborne clays.

Anyway, I moved here from Louisiana a couple years ago for work. I didn't bring anything up here with me since the apartment building I was living in frowned on such things and I wasn't sure I'd stay here past my two year contract. It's been a long two years with only the occasional visit to some property down south to shoot and oil the guns. I wasn't aware one could feel withdrawal from a hobby until experiencing it first hand!

I've been perusing the forum off and on for some time. Reading posts on here helped me plan out what to finally bring since the laws up here are so restrictive. I ended up accepting an offer that'll keep me here for the foreseeable future so...I'll just have to learn to navigate the differences. (I had looked at commuting from WV but dawgone that's a lengthy commute)

Looking forward to absorbing info and picking out a range to join once things start settling back down. I gotta admit, y'all have some beautiful land here. I'm still getting used to things not being flat :D

Geaux Tigers!! :)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Welcome!

I"m more of a transplanted Cajun :)
    Born in Lafayette but being a Military brat, did not make it back till going to college @ USL in the home town before moving back up east.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome back![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]You probably already know about most of this.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Take a look at these helpful links – LOTS of amazing info!

FORUM RULES
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    Range Etiquette and Staying Safe

Admin News and Announcements

Gun Rights and Legislation

Industry Partners

MD Shooters Firearms Map

Acronym list[/FONT]

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've been perusing the forum off and on for some time. Reading posts on here helped me plan out what to finally bring since the laws up here are so restrictive. I ended up accepting an offer that'll keep me here for the foreseeable future so...I'll just have to learn to navigate the differences. (I had looked at commuting from WV but dawgone that's a lengthy commute)

Eastern panhandle of WV to western Moco is not a terrible commute for this area. 270 is kind of a bitch but if you get on it early enough it's not hideous.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    What drug your coon-ass up here?

(Not a racial slur...a Cajun thing).

Bienvenu. Laissez les bons temps rouler!

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Welcome aboard. Make the most of it you can. Louisiana feels flat? Noooo Sir. Nebraska is flat!

BayouBengal

May 12, 2020
    Montgomery County
    Thank you all for the warm welcome! Also, a big hello to all my fellow Louisianians that’ve made their way on up to MD.
    I’m looking forward to being a member here. I was a member on Bayoushooter and they recommended this community when I relocated :)

I’ve been looking at a list of ranges and it’s hard to pick which one I want to try out first once things settle down.

I don’t mind doing my homework but maybe y’all can recommend one after you hear what I’m used to? (In case there’s one exactly like it) I always appreciate recommendations.

In LA I belonged to a rifle and pistol club with an outdoor range where you paid an annual membership that allowed sun up to sun down access to a 25 yd pistol range, dedicated 100 and 200 yd ranges with shooting benches and a 600 yd range with a target pit and prone firing points at 200, 400, and 600yds.

Does anything similar jump out?

What drug your coon-ass up here?

(Not a racial slur...a Cajun thing).

Bienvenu. Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Laissez les bons temps rouler indeed!

Well you’ve probably heard a similar story: I came up here after accepting an incredible job offer and am staying because it lead to adventures worth continuing.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Thank you all for the warm welcome! Also, a big hello to all my fellow Louisianians that’ve made their way on up to MD.
    I’m looking forward to being a member here. I was a member on Bayoushooter and they recommended this community when I relocated :)

I’ve been looking at a list of ranges and it’s hard to pick which one I want to try out first once things settle down.

I don’t mind doing my homework but maybe y’all can recommend one after you hear what I’m used to? (In case there’s one exactly like it) I always appreciate recommendations.

In LA I belonged to a rifle and pistol club with an outdoor range where you paid an annual membership that allowed sun up to sun down access to a 25 yd pistol range, dedicated 100 and 200 yd ranges with shooting benches and a 600 yd range with a target pit and prone firing points at 200, 400, and 600yds.

Does anything similar jump out?

Laissez les bons temps rouler indeed!

Well you’ve probably heard a similar story: I came up here after accepting an incredible job offer and am staying because it lead to adventures worth continuing.
    My old former boss from Houma came and stayed for an adventure, too.

No 600 yards near by. Look at a place called Peacemaker in WVa for that. My Isaac Walton chapter reaches out to 300. Closest thing that far nearby.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    The closest thing to what you described is a range in glengary west Virginia. It's a long drive but certainly a nice range. There are certainly closer ranges but most go to 100 yards rifle, some go to 200 and 300 yard range.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    I'm in crawfish mode at the moment boiling every weekend. I've never been to LA but I'm up for pointers if you got any feedback or like drinking beer

BayouBengal

May 12, 2020
    Montgomery County
    My old former boss from Houma came and stayed for an adventure, too.

No 600 yards near by. Look at a place called Peacemaker in WVa for that. My Isaac Walton chapter reaches out to 300. Closest thing that far nearby.

The closest thing to what you described is a range in glengary west Virginia. It's a long drive but certainly a nice range. There are certainly closer ranges but most go to 100 yards rifle, some go to 200 and 300 yard range.

Thanks to everyone for all the recommendations! I'll look them up and figure out which one I'll check out first. I'm probably so rusty at this point it'll be a bit before I feel comfortable past 300 again so 100-300 would be completely fine.

I'm in crawfish mode at the moment boiling every weekend. I've never been to LA but I'm up for pointers if you got any feedback or like drinking beer

That's awesome! I have never boiled crawfish myself but have been to a couple good boils since moving that were held over at Fort Hunt in VA. I'm definitely up for a good time but this pandemic sure has put a dampener on outings. Stay safe and enjoy in good health!

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Welcome.
    I grew up in Belle Chasse. I moved up here in 2001. I still get down to visit my mother(Kenner) and sister (Prairieville) a couple of times a year.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I have a milestone birthday coming up in late summer. Going to do a destination party, and won't go where any family and friends usually go. Don't want folks hankering to do their same-old same-old.

I choose NOLA. Most have never been, and the few who have, not much. I've only been there twice in 25 years.

Big draw is great food.

Suggestions?

BayouBengal

May 12, 2020
    Montgomery County
    Welcome.
    I grew up in Belle Chasse. I moved up here in 2001. I still get down to visit my mother(Kenner) and sister (Prairieville) a couple of times a year.

Nice!

I have a milestone birthday coming up in late summer. Going to do a destination party, and won't go where any family and friends usually go. Don't want folks hankering to do their same-old same-old.

I choose NOLA. Most have never been, and the few who have, not much. I've only been there twice in 25 years.

Big draw is great food.

Suggestions?

Hmm...I'd say Drago's and Commander's have some of the best food I've had in New Orleans...all the critics rave about GW Fins but I've not been there yet.

I wouldn't pass up Hansen's Sno-Bliz if you're going in the summer. The line might be long (in a pre-COVID-19 world) but... the experience and taste of those treats is worth it in my opinion.

Regardless of which places you go, I sincerely hope you have a blast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom