VA (Western)
    Looking for experiences with a wrapped or dipped AR {Upper & Lower}

Wear Vs Tear and durability

My plan is to design a AR 10 with some "Flair."

Good day.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Need to be more specific on which dip coating you are trying to compare. And what you are coating? What is your desired outcome or what do you want it for?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    For ease of application, moly resin takes the cake. Looks good, and is reasonably durable. For durability, Cerakote.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a rifle with Duracoat and another with Cerakote. Rattle can spray paint is easy but wears off quickly. Brownells Alumahyde is fairly easy to apply. I also have a rifle with a Fudd cammo pattern which I guess is essentially a dip pattern. Duracoat, Cerekote, and Alumahyde are all pretty tough. The Fudd cammo dip and rattle can not so much, IMO.

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    I have a rifle with Duracoat and another with Cerakote. Rattle can spray paint is easy but wears off quickly. Brownells Alumahyde is fairly easy to apply. I also have a rifle with a Fudd cammo pattern which I guess is essentially a dip pattern. Duracoat, Cerekote, and Alumahyde are all pretty tough. The Fudd cammo dip and rattle can not so much, IMO.

Would you be so kind as to share a picture of the Cammo Dipped rifle?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've painted two ARs using Duracoat and an air brush. It's not as durable as Cerakote but I don't mind a little wear. I suspect dips are probably the hardiest of them all, having had multiple guns and bows that were dipped and show virtually now obvious wear through the years.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I suspect dips are probably the hardiest of them all, having had multiple guns and bows that were dipped and show virtually now obvious wear through the years.

I think you are probably a better "data point" than me for the dips (i.e. dip pattern finish :) ) since you seem to be an avid hunter.

I would think you would want a pro to apply a dip pattern; I don't know who does that kind of thing, perhaps someone can chime in on that.

That being said; there are some rattle can / Alumahyde / Duracoat paint jobs done by the members here that look great. Sometimes simple is better.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Looking for experiences with a wrapped or dipped AR {Upper & Lower}

Wear Vs Tear and durability

My plan is to design a AR 10 with some "Flair."

Good day.

I've had waterfowl hunting shotguns that were dipped and I've also had one cerakoted. The dipped ones have held up for many years and still look great. The cerakoted one I had done about 5 years ago is also still in pretty good shape.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm kinda ignorant where Cerakote is concerned.

I tried dipping and it was a complete failure.

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    I've painted two ARs using Duracoat and an air brush. It's not as durable as Cerakote but I don't mind a little wear. I suspect dips are probably the hardiest of them all, having had multiple guns and bows that were dipped and show virtually now obvious wear through the years.

I did see the Rifle that You had posted in the AR Picture thread.
    I did like the way it was done. Did you spray a flat sealer on the Rilfe or just the paint?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I did see the Rifle that You had posted in the AR Picture thread.
    I did like the way it was done. Did you spray a flat sealer on the Rilfe or just the paint?

It's just the paint. It was what they called 'self lubricated' or something like that. It's kind of an eggshell as opposed to matte finish. Makes it easier to clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom