• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Got an e-mail from Del Smigiel today. He's asking us to bombard the committee with letters, e-mails and phone calls as he really thinks we can make an impression. Let's make some noise gents.

Just sent this -

Dear Chairman Vallario –

During the hearing on H.R. 52 the topic turned to how the MSP decides who among us gets a handgun permit.

MSP said it looks for a “good and substantial” reason, but couldn’t define the concept for Delegate Smigiel.

Another delegate asked if it would help MSP to have committee guidance and Captain Herman said yes.

Sir, this question has been bandied about for almost forty years now and the solution is simple; amend Md. Ann. Code art. 27, § 36E(a)(6) to include self-defense.

You have the power to correct the problem and I ask you to do so.

Don Pollock
    Bowie, MD

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Usually I'd agree with this premise, however yesterday it was pretty blatant.

"Our" folks stayed until the end (and I know they had meetings as well) while the other side pretty much bailed out.

Do you think they bailed because they knew they'd be in the distinct minority vís-a-vís the public or because they don't get give a shit?

My Delegate's absence, the delightful Rosenberg, leaves me just as shocked as Captain Renault in Casablanca.

One look at delsandy.com and you get an idea of his persuasion. I feel sorry for anyone taught by him at University of Baltimore or UofMD.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Just sent this -

Dear Chairman Vallario –

During the hearing on H.R. 52 the topic turned to how the MSP decides who among us gets a handgun permit.

MSP said it looks for a “good and substantial” reason, but couldn’t define the concept for Delegate Smigiel.

Another delegate asked if it would help MSP to have committee guidance and Captain Herman said yes.

Sir, this question has been bandied about for almost forty years now and the solution is simple; amend Md. Ann. Code art. 27, § 36E(a)(6) to include self-defense.

Don Pollock
    Bowie, MD

When did Del. Smigiel have a chance to ask the Captain for a definition? The fact they could not provide one and the indication they want guidance suggests to me they take their orders from the top. If they were told, in no uncertain terms, to issue permits for self defense they would. Of course a law compelling them to would help. From just the tidbit you provided, it sounds like they take the path of least possible resistance.

You know, the one that pleases MoCo anti-gunners and their ilk?

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Dear Mr. Pollock

I support this bill, but I honestly do not think it will be allowed out of the Chairman's drawer.

Susan McComas -District 35 B

Horseu

Aug 31, 2008
    Dear Mr. Pollock

I support this bill, but I honestly do not think it will be allowed out of the Chairman's drawer.

My interpretation of this is: "I'll vote for it if it comes up, but I won't lift a finger to insure it gets brought to a vote."

citizen x

Dec 15, 2009
    your momma
    Here is something to chew on and a point for 2nd ammendment rights.
    The police are NOT legally obligated to PROTECT YOU.
    In the book Dial 911 and Die,attorney Richard W. Stevens writes: It was the most shocking thing I learned in law school.when I came across the case of Hartzler v. City of San Jose,I discovered the secret truth:THE GOVERNMENT OWES NO DUTY TO PROTECT INDIVIDUAL CITIZENS FROM CRIMINAL ATTACK.not only did the california courts hold to that rule ,the California legislature had enacted a statute to make sure the courts couldn't change the rule.

But this does not only apply to Kalifornia.Stevens cites laws and cases for every state-plus Wash. DC,Puerto Rico,the Virgin Islands and Canada

Don't look to the Constitution for help."In its landmark decision of Deshaney v. Winnebago County dept of Social Services," Stevens writes ,"the US Supreme Court declared that the Constitution does not impose a duty on the state and local goverments to protect the citizens from criminal harm."

All in all,as Stevens says ,youd be better off owning a gun and learning how to use it.

Citizen X..

300RUM

Custom Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    North East
    " Maryland is gun phobic and I am very concerned that we are going to have problems getting this bill out of the Committee."

Susan McComas – District 35 B

I received a similar email, but more convincing.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    My new mantra:

Dear Chairman Vallario –

Don Pollock
    Bowie, MD

__________and this is the rest of the debate:
    Dear Mr. Pollock

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I received the following email this afternoon from House Member J. B Jennings on HB52:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to thank you for your letters and your concerns on the current gun bills in the House Judiciary Committee, of which I am a member. This letter is to specifically update you on the status on H.B. 52 - Regulated Firearms - License Issued by Delaware, Pennsylvania, or Virginia – Reciprocity.

With the final day of Session quickly approaching, and H.B. 52 being held by the Committee Delegate Smigiel and I decided to take action. We intend to use a rarely used procedure to bring this bill directly to the House Floor for a vote.

The Maryland Constitution allows for a petition to be circulated bringing certain legislation to the House Floor if it receives at least 47 signatures by delegates favoring the legislation. My colleagues and I believe we have enough support for this bill, and I will be heading the petition to bring this bill to the House Floor.

Again, I would like to thank you for your steadfast support of this bill and bills which support the rights of gun owners. If you have any questions or concerns please contact me at JB.Jennings@house.state.md.us or my office at 410-841-3698.

Sincerely,

J.B. Jennings
    Member, House of Delegates

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I emailed my reps about HB52, asking them to support the motion to bring HB52 to the House floor. Delegate Boteler was the first to respond, uncharacteristically with a form letter. I followed up immediately with a direct "yes or no" type email, and he indicated that he would support the motion.

Get on your reps, ladies and gentlemen.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Update:

Cool...okay here's Mike's posting as of about twenty minutes ago (on Facebook):

Michael Smigiel Update on HB-52 petition. We have all the republicans signed up and one democrat Del. Weir, so please direct all future calls to the democratic members we need 10 more to have enough to petition the bill to the floor. This is working because I heard one democratic delegate saying to Chairman Vallario "please, vote out HB-52 so they will stop!"

He's on the floor of the House so I can't follow up with him but WOOO HOOO! Tell everyone they are doing GREAT work!

CyberFed

Baltimore Idealist
    Mar 14, 2010
    Charm City
    Sent to all the MD Delegates:

Honorable Delegates,

My name is [CyberFed] -- I am a Baltimore City resident, a graduate student at [a school], and a lifelong Democrat. As such, I am also an ardent supporter of constitutionally-protected rights.

As a previous resident of Virginia, I am aware of several occasions when friends would not visit Maryland due to its lack of reciprocity with any other state's firearms permits. Despite completing NRA and state-sponsored courses, being found not to possess a criminal background, and being found to be of sound mental state, simply crossing a state border removed any and all right to carry a firearm for personal defense. Instead, they would stay in the Dominion, or make way through West Virginia to Pennsylvania. Criminals in the state seem to have no qualms with carrying guns illegally, and I hesitate to add that Maryland's (unfair) stigma as being an "unsafe" state is in no small part an effect of people being unable to carry any form of personal protection.

Now, regardless of your take on personal firearms, the fact that people make an effort to avoid the state of Maryland based-on one simple provision is troubling, no less to me as a fellow Marylander. If someone has completed the process to carry a concealed firearm in a neighboring state, let them come to Maryland and preserve their personal safety and rights. This can only increase tourism and visitors and a much-needed influx of money spent in the state. I highly doubt that anyone is going to stop visiting on account of passage, and, as already mentioned, it doesn't take too long living in Baltimore City to realize that criminals are in no part hampered by further restricting the law-abiding public.

As such, I urge you to support Delegate Smigiel's petition to have HB52, "Regulated Firearms - License Issued by Delaware, Pennsylvania, or Virginia - Reciprocity," put to a vote on the floor. If not for personal rights, then for taxes and tourism. Whatever your reason, the people of Maryland, and the states surrounding it, ask for you to be bold, to be fair, and to uphold the Second Amendment right of US citizens, both Marylanders and their guests.

Thank you very much for your time and support on this matter.

Regards,
    [CyberFed]
    Baltimore City, MD

I'm hopeful...

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    Just sent another round of e-mails
    got 4 replys in less then 5 minutes
    keep up the pressure, they must be getting flooded with mail/calls

Knuc

Apr 1, 2009
    Allegany County
    message sent to all democrats

Please sign the petition to bring HB52 to a vote and then vote for HB 52 the people are speaking to you and telling you what they (the people you are supposedly working for) want. We want this bill to be voted on and PASSED! We are asking you to vote for us in this matter. Just keep that in mind when you ask us to vote for you this fall.

Short, sweet and to the point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom