Can someone outline the TX course to MD Hunting License process for me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    to those bahumbuging on online classes:

tenor.gif

bg71361

Apr 30, 2012
    Just got a pop up window at the above site. Looks like we are good.
    Thx

Attachments

• 62F6BA14-AC22-4D8F-94B3-F87520E2CE93.jpg
      62F6BA14-AC22-4D8F-94B3-F87520E2CE93.jpg
      48.1 KB · Views: 215

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    With the Texas Hunter Safety Course, does this exempt the training requirement for HQL?

I know passing the MD Hunter Safety Course will exempt you from the training requirement of HQL.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    With the Texas Hunter Safety Course, does this exempt the training requirement for HQL?

I know passing the MD Hunter Safety Course will exempt you from the training requirement of HQL.
    Good question. I don't have the answer though.

It should, but you know Merryland.

HSCs and certifications are pretty much reciprocal to every state. No reason for it not to be accepted in Md for what it is.

bg71361

Apr 30, 2012
    Cut and paste from Maryland.gov, did not look up the article referenced.

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component

1. Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
    2. Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
    3. Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    4. Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    5. Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    6. ​​Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Cut and paste from Maryland.gov, did not look up the article referenced.

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component

1. Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
    2. Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
    3. Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    4. Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    5. Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    6. ​​Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

THANKS for posting, passed onto my daughter.

Cut & pasted from your link, did you have to take the field day?

As the next step, schedule and attend the Field Day to obtain the Hunter Education Certificate.

You can schedule the Field Day at https://tpwd.elementlms.com/course-category/hunter-education-field-course/.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I meant to follow up on this.

Thanks OP

and thanks Matt for answering my question.

My buddy was able to get his MD hunting license via this. Then BLM planned 1st amendment assemblies cancelled our trip lol. Oh well he got it and this thread helped him!

Edit——Oops I’m thanking in the wrong thread

bg71361

Apr 30, 2012
    THANKS for posting, passed onto my daughter.

Cut & pasted from your link, did you have to take the field day?

As the next step, schedule and attend the Field Day to obtain the Hunter Education Certificate.

You can schedule the Field Day at https://tpwd.elementlms.com/course-category/hunter-education-field-course/.

We haven't made a move yet, the Texas version states that if you are 17 or older no field day required. Md at 17 you must have the field day. But if Md accepts any hunter safety course I'm thinking we should be good doingtheTexas version, someone feel free to correct me if you have first hand information to the contrary.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Yes an in person education is better. Open the schools.

For the naysayers, at least OP didn’t lie and say he had hunted prior to 1977, and didn’t need no stinking papers.

I did mine back in 83, it was easy then too if you read a little and paid attention.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hey , I really did hunt before 1977 !

And I actually took Hunter Safety circa 1974 . But unfortunately for me , the State didn't keep records of it until 1977 , the Club where I took it is defunct , and the original wall certificate is long since lost . ( No cards in the early days, they came later .) Signing the Affidavit works where I usually go , but eventually I'll do the Texas to have ( another ) piece of paper .

Added - With time marching on , not many people can plausibly claim the exemption . If you were say 14 in 1976 , you're pushing at least 58yo now .

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Hey , I really did hunt before 1977 !

And I actually took Hunter Safety circa 1974 . But unfortunately for me , the State didn't keep records of it until 1977 , the Club where I took it is defunct , and the original wall certificate is long since lost . ( No cards in the early days, they came later .) Signing the Affidavit works where I usually go , but eventually I'll do the Texas to have ( another ) piece of paper .

Added - With time marching on , not many people can plausibly claim the exemption . If you were say 14 in 1976 , you're pushing at least 58yo now .

I pushed 58 as far as I could, its long gone :sad20:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I pushed 58 as far as I could, its long gone :sad20:
    I just finished the course Friday. I'd had licenses since I was 16(1974ish), but I'll eventually be moving out of this great state and the wife has been after me to do some hunts in other states as well(where they don't give a crap about Md's exemption).

I did it in three days. It's boring as hell but fairly easy. It's taught to the test, so you might want to read the whole way through.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    My son is 11 and is going to the woods with me this year. There aren’t any classroom sessions close or suitable timing with open slots. MD online hunter safety course is for 13 and over, TX can be for 9-17. What I’m figuring, he can take the TX online and sign up for a field day if one is available. Then he should be good in the state of MD after passing both.

For those more knowledgeable, can an 11 year old get an apprentice license this year and then go through hunter ed next year for a junior license? I don’t see anywhere where the apprentice online hunter safety course is housed.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My son is 11 and is going to the woods with me this year. There aren’t any classroom sessions close or suitable timing with open slots. MD online hunter safety course is for 13 and over, TX can be for 9-17. What I’m figuring, he can take the TX online and sign up for a field day if one is available. Then he should be good in the state of MD after passing both.

For those more knowledgeable, can an 11 year old get an apprentice license this year and then go through hunter ed next year for a junior license? I don’t see anywhere where the apprentice online hunter safety course is housed.
    Says hunters of any age, a one time deal...

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2017/...time-hunters-opportunity-to-experience-sport/

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

https://dnr.maryland.gov/nrp/Pages/Apprentice-Hunter-License---No-DNR-ID.aspx

https://webapps02.dnr.state.md.us/dnrApprentice/frmMain.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom