• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Interesting. I never knew such a tool existed to remove handguards. Usually I'd just cuss at one if I had to struggle with it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a few rifles where the handguards are very tight. The tool comes in handy.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Wait. The handguards came off????

:shocking:

You only need to do that if you have to clean something like spilling your MRE food onto that little holes along the top of the handguard. If you dropped your rifle into the mud, you need to do that too. However, you will be called all kind of name from your platoon.

Homesick Texan

Dec 15, 2012
    Middle TN
    USAF Security Forces 82-05, never knew a tool existed. Like others stated, some were loose some were not. If so, two person job or make do and pry it with something handy and hope no one saw you......

Cpt. Karma

Sep 13, 2019
    I don’t think there was a tool for that. I was in “81”-“86”. I remember being taught to use your knuckle to bust out the pivot/takedown pin.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    No tools when I served. But with some new stuff I've built I wonder why it used to be so much easier. I guess due to the well broken in weapons we had in the Marines.

kbarrett220

Jun 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Hand guard removal tool

Maybe in the Air Force. In the US ARMY a solid surface to brace the buttstock against and strong grip strength to wrestle the slip ring far enough down to get the top or bottom out just far enough to to hold it in place the work the other out and finally remove the first

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Did you you guys use a handguard removal tool to get the handgaurds off? When I was in, we had the M16A1 and those hangaurds were easy to take off compared to the new ones on my non free-floated AR's. Of course those old A1's had more mileage than the workers in the Red Light district. :innocent0 The delta ring springs were pretty loose.

We never used a tool to remove the handguards. I have one of the older M-16, with the three prong. It wasn't a problem. It was hard to keep the armors from taking my bolt and replacing it with another. But if you couldn't do it by yourself, we got a fellow teammate to help. I think like anything the more wear and tear the easy to remove. When we got the new model M16-A2, they were hard a first to get off. But most people avoided taking them off. Wear can be a good thing, like breaking in a new pistol. It took about 500 rounds to break in my Sig 226 Legion. It was a really pain to release the slide, use the de-cocker and such at first.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    USAF '73-78. Never used a tool and can still get the grips off of my A2 build with just my old arthritic hands, and no buddy!

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Army 84-90, A1, no tool that I can remember ever using, never needed it that I can remember. Now my brain hurts from trying to remember.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    M16A2 during Desert Storm. We never had tools to remove the hand guard. The tools you see for sale were made for civilians who were new to the AR-15 and had trouble removing the handguard. The tool is not needed.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    M16A2 during Desert Storm. We never had tools to remove the hand guard. The tools you see for sale were made for civilians who were new to the AR-15 and had trouble removing the handguard. The tool is not needed.

I know this is not completely germaine to the topic, but it runs parallel

...I'm still trying to wrap my head around slathering a AR bolt in grease and then dipping it in motor oil. :lol2:

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    ...I'm still trying to wrap my head around slathering a AR bolt in grease and then dipping it in motor oil. :lol2:

ut oh...I got bashed when discussing this topic. You know how I feel about it. Just a little CLP is all you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom