• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Didn't see a thread yet, so I figured I'd get it going.

Not much going on yet around my way. Eagerly waiting to hear the first gobble of the year.

Autocorrect jacked the title up...

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    I have the bug bad .Driving wife and dog nuts calling . Going this weekend for a sit and scout. Son and I going pattern shotguns . Bought 2 Stephens a 20g and 410. We will see. Seems they are popular nowadays. Said before ole 12g does fine but if I can get performance without lugging big boy around why not. Love Turkey season . Friend got me into bird hunting well a while back now just something I didn’t do but damn it’s addictive. Rather turkey hunt than rockfish. Well hopefully be a productive weekend nothing like a gobble in the morning I tell the wife.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    Being virtually deaf in one ear I had to change hunting tactics. I could hear birds but wouldn’t have the foggiest idea which direction the gobbling came from. Scouting was a must, got pretty good finding a flock and learn their daily patterns.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Not a sound today , just the wind . Spent a few hours this morning looking listening, nothing . Went and put some softball size holes in some targets. Very impressed with the Stevens 301 they where fun to shoot (410 & 20g) Also had to shoot my 12g 935 which has been my turkey gun for years. Put a 3 1/2 Winchester in her for my son to shoot , ya it rocked him . But proved my point about the ole 12g .Try again next weekend . Anyone else hear any birds this weekend ?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Not a sound today , just the wind . Spent a few hours this morning looking listening, nothing . Went and put some softball size holes in some targets. Very impressed with the Stevens 301 they where fun to shoot (410 & 20g) Also had to shoot my 12g 935 which has been my turkey gun for years. Put a 3 1/2 Winchester in her for my son to shoot , ya it rocked him . But proved my point about the ole 12g .Try again next weekend . Anyone else hear any birds this weekend ?

Kind of windy here today. None talking yet that I heard.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Dead quiet here. Been doing some scouting, but no sign that they are in the spring pattern just yet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Finally...something!
    c3b2ca226466667c2524c2f227c69a09.jpg

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Nice , didn’t make it out last weekend so nothing to report but been seeing pictures being posted. Definitely want to get out this weekend .

ultraplanet

Shooter
    Jan 10, 2013
    Swanton
    We've got a pretty good flock around the house. 4 mature gobblers, several jakes and 20+ hens. Here's a shot from my driveway this morning....

Attachments

• PXL_20210325_113645653.jpg
      PXL_20210325_113645653.jpg
      194.6 KB · Views: 388

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I heard my first gobble for the year this morning in Carroll Co. The neighbor across the street has a bunch of turkeys on his property. Cant hunt there....I asked

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Driving to the new Rural King in Hanover this morning, saw two different flocks of gobbler along 216. Both big groups.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I went shed hunting in NE Nebraska and only found one small spike shed. I did here a nice gobbler on the way back tho'. I will be back at that spot this week bow in hand.

There was a pickup with Kentucky plates parked on the road when I left. I don't think he's hunting the same spot tho'.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Gobbling Saturday morning on the farm behind my house. That's always fun to hear (when it isn't from my domestic turkeys, which never shut up)

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I’ll be going to Pendleton County, WV to a friend’s property in April. Never been spring turkey hunting. I’m usually either getting the boat ready, or fishing in the spring. With the rockfish season pushed back to May 1, I have some free time.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I’ll be going to Pendleton County, WV to a friend’s property in April. Never been spring turkey hunting. I’m usually either getting the boat ready, or fishing in the spring. With the rockfish season pushed back to May 1, I have some free time.

A lot of times if they fly down with hens its hard to pull them off them. If your in a spot where you know where they're heading that's where you'll want to be right off.
    Once they go to sit, those gobblers will start to roam/respond to calling better.
    Patience just like anything, is key.
    A bird can also cover a lot of ground quickly especially on a woods edge or in a field so never write them off entirely if you get a response to some calling. Around here in the spring, right up until noon they'll be active and on the move.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md

You still have time to save yourself....Don't go!!!

Just kidding.Turkey hunting is frustrating/fun/frustrating/exciting/frustrating/boring/ thrilling/ and very addictive.
    Good luck!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom