• Other?

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Just don't send it to S&W. A good friend of mine did that with his model 29 and it came back with a 6" barrel instead of the original 6 1/2". There was nothing wrong with the barrel! Someone must have wanted the original barrel and took it.
    I'm sending it to a company called Precision Bluing in NC. They are endorsed by S&W and I'm sure they'll treat it right.

For an N Frame - I like these Pachmayr grips :party29:

eUl9zYD.jpg

I voted Other. I never shot any grips more comfortable on a S&W N-Frame than these Pachmayr Target grips, especially if you're shooting the hot stuff. They're not much to look at but they make it a lot more bearable.
    I've never liked the look of Pachmayr grips except for on a stainless pistol, or the wrap-around medallion grips like the ones Dad had on a satin nickel Combat Commander 1911. I'm sure that they're functionally superior, but I just don't care for the aesthetic on a classic blued S&W revolver.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Altamont reproduction grips that I put on my pre-27. Bought it with some black, possibly Pachmayr, grips iirc (should be in a drawer upstairs). It's such a smooth shooting gun. The other two revolvers in the pics have factory grips.
    d24f773f923a1fe5df4173cf9356d938.jpg
    53675942e21a539e040331f96092bad9.jpg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    First year production S&W 44 Magnum with family heirloom status. Awesome piece, trickg. That revolver has your Dad’s, your and now your children’s character marks on it. Good set of grips is a definite, those broken grips will eat youwhen you shot it with heavier loads.

Whether you refinish it or not, great gun.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Altamont reproduction grips that I put on my pre-27. Bought it with some black, possibly Pachmayr, grips iirc (should be in a drawer upstairs). It's such a smooth shooting gun. The other two revolvers in the pics have factory grips.
    d24f773f923a1fe5df4173cf9356d938.jpg
    53675942e21a539e040331f96092bad9.jpg
    Those are some purty pistols - is the Python original?

How do you feel the Altamont grips fit? They look nicer there than in their website photos.

First year production S&W 44 Magnum with family heirloom status. Awesome piece, trickg. That revolver has your Dad’s, your and now your children’s character marks on it. Good set of grips is a definite, those broken grips will eat youwhen you shot it with heavier loads.

Whether you refinish it or not, great gun.
    Thanks! I definitely enjoy it, and I’ve never really noticed that chip being out, but I also keep my loading pretty light. It still lets you know it’s a 44 Magnum, but it’s not unpleasant.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Among the S&W Collector community , IF they decide to re- blue, Ford's has the reputation for being the mainstream outfit that comes closest to w hat S&W factory did back in the day .

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Among the S&W Collector community , IF they decide to re- blue, Ford's has the reputation for being the mainstream outfit that comes closest to w hat S&W factory did back in the day .
    Interesting - Precision Bluing is actually endorsed by S&W. Is Fords? Their gallery does look nice though - a bit more expensive than PB.

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    I've got this old Smith & Wesson 44 Magnum, and the grips on that old thing have seen better days - the left one is missing a chunk right by the trigger guard, Dad tried (operative word, "tried") to re-cut the checkering at one point and kinda messed it up, but they are original "Coke bottle" S&W grips.

With that in mind, I'm looking at a few options:

1.) VZ grips, G10 - black cherry
    https://vzgrips.com/products/tactical-diamond-s-w-n-frame-square-bottom.html

2.) KN Replica Coke Bottle Grips
    https://www.nill-griffe.com/Replica_grips_for_revolvers_72.html

3.) Altmont N-Frame Grips Coke Bottle Target
    https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/smith-and-wesson/n-square/

4.) Eagle Grips N-Frame Grips
    https://www.eaglegrips.com/heritage-series/50-sw-n-frame-square-butt-rosewood-heritage-grips.html

5.) Other? I'm open to suggestions.

(On my screen the selections are showing clockwise from the upper left)

IF you want to shoot it get some rubber grips from hogue or pachmayr, you'll be able to control it better & shoot it longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom