• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Heard the my first gobbles of the morning this year. One of our horses got out and we were trying to wrangle him around 0630. The rooster started crowing and a gobbler was sounding off on roost each time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Things are starting to get going
    9b996f4fe2e4ed6a11bb44f7425e93b7.jpg

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    My GF and I moved to a mountaintop community in rural Tennessee...we have one Tom who strolls through the yard almost every day, I'm gonna have to name him and adopt him lol. Here are 2 pics of him and 1 pic of 2 other turkeys near our mailbox...

fAB04b.jpg

R04Fyt.jpg

7Lo5JG.jpg

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    So last night at dark I was practicing some calls. Figured worst case I might get a gobble on a roost somewhere. Nothing, no big deal, just wanted to shake off some rust.

So this morning I'm leaving for work and I like to take a quick detour to check a field that's close. As I'm on my way, I see this gobbler tearing across the neighbors lower field heading straight to my house. Two minutes later the upper field camera gets a picture.

Now my wife is sending me videos, he's out behind the house gobbling at our chickens...

a66323b104e80e30dd1b05b6b75d7583.jpg

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Y'all hearing many gobbles during the day? I'm in Southern MD and don't hear jack after dawn, private or public, can't get a shock gobble. Typical for these Eastern birds? When I used to hunt in Missouri they'd thunder all morning it was fantastic.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    Y'all hearing many gobbles during the day? I'm in Southern MD and don't hear jack after dawn, private or public, can't get a shock gobble. Typical for these Eastern birds? When I used to hunt in Missouri they'd thunder all morning it was fantastic.

I heard one, "unsolicited", at about 11 am the other day walking through the woods. I tried to get him to shock gobble again just with some poorly done owl calls (I'm not a true hillbilly...can't get the right sound without a reed call). He never made another gobble. But it was still good to hear!

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013

I've been seeing a ton of birds, but there has been little gobbling. Occasionally one will gobble when my rooster crows. But not much has been going on otherwise.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    The Early Junior hunts were some of the best times I've ever had in the woods with my son! From the extra frosty mornings during the rut and watching a nice buck
    chasing a hot doe, to the Thunderous Gobbles of a tom coming into my old box call, And seeing the excitement build in my sons eyes. I miss those days.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I took my neighbors son out. We had four birds gobbling, but unfortunately he didn't make it long enough for me to call one in. He's only 10, so he's got some time still.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I've heard what I think is one gobbler 3 times in the last 2 weeks but I didn't have my hunting stuff with me either time. Every time I've been hunting...NADA.

Tonight I heard a gobbler about a half mile away.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've heard what I think is one gobbler 3 times in the last 2 weeks but I didn't have my hunting stuff with me either time. Every time I've been hunting...NADA.

Tonight I heard a gobbler about a half mile away.

Be in your hunting area as the sun begins to set. Listen. As the turkeys head for their evening roosts, you'll hear them carrying on. They'll be there all night. Set up in the predawn somewhere near 100-150 yards away from where they roosted the night before. As daylight breaks, you'll hear them gobble and tree call. At some point, give them a couple yelps to let them know you are there(if they hear you, they'll gobble at you yelp). Then stop calling and sit and wait...

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Well good luck to all going out tomorrow. Probably won’t sleep well . First turkey hunt in a few years for me , health . Oldest son is up staying for 2 days I’m off for 2 days. I’m freaking excited! Look forward to the stories tomorrow and the one we will be making . Again enjoy and good luck to all.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    I hunted a small farm this morning in Virginia with a buddy. We saw a nice Tom Strutting and drumming in the hay field with a hen. They were about 100 yards away. We could not convince them
    to close the distance. He did not gobble once. I'm thinking the predator problem is keeping them quiet on the ground.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Chilly morning , fields and trails and the small streams had a lot of water. Very wet . 2 different gobbles 1 3 times the other 4 . Heard 1 shot . Talking with some of the people in area it’s been quite . Need nice sunny warm day. Cool wet cloudy days seems the birds just aren’t vocal. Try again tomorrow. Hope someone had a better day . As they say better than being at work.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    B**h of a morning in the rain. Had at least 2 toms hammering for an hour before fly down, but pretty certain they went the wrong way across the creek bed/property line.

Had one hen feed her way up the draw towards me, just like I hoped, but silent b**h and didn't bring any boys with her. Eventually she swung around inside 30yds and d*m if she didn't have a lil paintbrush sticking off her chest!! She doesn't see me, bang!, bird goes down. I stand up, so does she and takes off running perpendicular up the hill. Bang, bird goes down again, GETS BACK UP AGAIN, goes over the ridge into the brush across the property line and, despite looking, I'll never see that bird again.

Super bummed because this is the first time I've pulled the trigger ona turkey in 4yrs. Probably blew out the whole f**n area too. Next year I'm switching to magnum #4s and a turkey choke (shooting 3" coppercoated #5 full now)

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    Went out this morning and I heard what might've been a distant gobble once or twice and that was it. Walked around a bit after the rain and kicked up a juvenile. They did not make a peep. Same spot last year was much more vocal. Hopefully they will get a little more noisy as the season goes on. Heard only a single shot so it was collectively not great it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom