• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    If more citizens were allowed to carry, there would be fewer "mass" shootings. It is unfortunate that one of the victims of these shootings hasn't sued the government for their restriction of our Second Amendment rights. If someone in the grocery store, Fed-Ex office or wherever criminals attack was carrying the threat would be neutralized swiftly. Call me crazy, just my perspective.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    As our nation descends into widespread violence, I would expect the chances that a CCW holder will be forced to draw their weapon to increase. If you are a CCW permit holder, you might spend a moment pondering that, if you haven't already. Obviously the odds will vary depending on where you live and where you spend your time.

Obviously as a citizen of communist Maryland, I do not hold a CCW permit. I did perform limited military police work and force protection work for the entire second half of my Navy career so I have some tangential experience in this area. Unfortunately the passage of time is obscuring those experiences since I retired from the service so I'm not as sharp as I once was.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    "Gun violence" = moving responsibility from individuals making a choice to be violent to an Object. Thus blaming objects and not violent people.

"Moving responsibility."

These two words serve well to describe the direction of this country generally.

We are living a time of the most methodically and widely orchestrated scheme to deflect blame in American history.

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC

oberyn

Apr 19, 2021
    Interesting article and interview, do we know if everyone was alright or if the shooter was confronted?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thanks for sharing this article. The article mentions firearm detecting dogs.

I noticed at the Columbia mall the sign says they also use this enforcement method.

What do we know about that ? Must the dog be up close and personal or can they track that smell ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I suspect that it all depends on the level of training and the ability of the K9 handler to effectively motivate and interpret the dog’s reactions. I did an quick google search and found this document discribing a test used to determine if a K9 team can effectively identify a firearm, ammunition or spent shell casings. http://eswda.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Firearms-Detection-Test.pdf

This test has the handler walk past a group of people standing in a line. The dog must be able to identify the one person carrying the test item and repeat the test successfully 3 times to pass.

Then I stumbled across this company who claims that their trained K9’s can detect potential firearms or explosives within huge crowds. https://homeofvaporwake.com/vapor-detection-dog/.

In practice the more you pay the better your results. I suspect the mall owners probably outsource their k9 operations with the same Paul Blart mall cop service that does everything else for them. If I’m correct their k9’s and handlers would be considerably less effective than the TSA trained K9’s that quickly screen airport passengers.

Lastly, what do you think would happen if mall cop k9 and handler did seem to indicate you were carrying a firearm? These are the same guys specifically told not to confront actual thieves openly steeling merchandise. Maybe carry some bacon flavored dog snacks in your pocket in the event you were approached by the K9 unit.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    As our nation descends into widespread violence, I would expect the chances that a CCW holder will be forced to draw their weapon to increase. If you are a CCW permit holder, you might spend a moment pondering that, if you haven't already. Obviously the odds will vary depending on where you live and where you spend your time.

Obviously as a citizen of communist Maryland, I do not hold a CCW permit. I did perform limited military police work and force protection work for the entire second half of my Navy career so I have some tangential experience in this area. Unfortunately the passage of time is obscuring those experiences since I retired from the service so I'm not as sharp as I once was.

I picked up carry insurance just in case. I spend a lot of time in New Orleans, and a guy was shot within eyesight of my condo yesterday. I fully understand the sad reality that the chances of me having to defend myself have risen. And keep in mind, I'm in a 'safe' part of town.

NOLA is especially bad - I'm a believer that if you only carry a hammer, well, you're really only prepared for nails. I carry a combo of mace, taser, and Shillelagh as well depending on circumstances.

I've had a few aggressive pan-handlers get very close, and it's disconcerting to say the least. They could produce a knife and stab you before you know it, but you don't have enough cause to draw, let alone fire. That's the advantage of a distance strike weapon. A screaming drunk advancing on you could be a call for mace. Tazers, in my opinion, are really only good as an effective deterrent - that zapping sound seems to sober up even a crack addict and make them back off.

Drugs and alcohol are a crazy thing - I'm 6'4", 225 lbs, and young, but I had a 5'8" 140 lb panhandler demand $20 once. Basically a weaponless mugging. The tourists just pay them. Needless to say, he got nothing from me, but it goes to show how much societal tolerance for anarchy there is. I don't let my small, disabled wife go out alone. At the very least she takes our large and protective dog, and is always armed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom