• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    This all applies to non CCW holders:

When I got my first handgun when I was 21 I took it to Ontarget to try it out. I went in with preloaded mags in my bag. The counter guy got a bit loud, just a bit, to make an example of me as he was going to explain how that was all wrong etc. and how I could be in big trouble with the police if I was pulled over with loaded mags. So I said ok damn now I know.

Later on as time went on another individual 'in the business' said the law really prohibits ammunition feeding devices from being in a weapon under transport. I think he meant that you can have the loaded mags in the car but separate from the firearm. It might have been a LEO that I was shooting with that I told about the above story to. But that's not important now as:

I just leave it all empty to and from the range so I don't need to figure out or test the exactness of the law or an officer's interpretation should an opportunity arise. I generally put the ammo in a different container during my trip and put it into my bag when I get to the range.

You should get a range bag for numerous other reasons than based on what you should do with the ammo and firearm during transport.:D

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

When I got my first handgun when I was 21 I took it to Ontarget to try it out. I went in with preloaded mags in my bag. The counter guy got a bit loud, just a bit, to make an example of me as he was going to explain how that was all wrong etc. and how I could be in big trouble with the police if I was pulled over with loaded mags. So I said ok damn now I know.

The counter guy was misinformed or just lying. The law does not forbid loaded mags, and there is an AG letter stating his interpretation is that loaded mags are legal to transport in a vehicle. The letter is dated 15 Jan 2010... I have a copy I saved from someone posting it here but can't repost at the moment.

That being said, a range is a privately owned business, so if they want to make a rule that you can't enter with loaded mags, they can do that.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I put my unloaded pistols in the same range bag as my loaded magazines. Sometimes, a pistol or two may be in the same compartment as the magazines, but usually in another case or wrapped in some padding.

Either way, as long as the gun is not loaded, I have always considered myself to be in compliance.

The bag always rides in the trunk of my car where it is not accessible. In a truck, perhaps other arrangements are necessary.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I put my unloaded pistols in the same range bag as my loaded magazines. Sometimes, a pistol or two may be in the same compartment as the magazines, but usually in another case or wrapped in some padding.

Either way, as long as the gun is not loaded, I have always considered myself to be in compliance.

The bag always rides in the trunk of my car where it is not accessible. In a truck, perhaps other arrangements are necessary.

Yep. That's what I do. The next step is to get a nice guitar bag and use it for range bag. ;)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Federal regulation regarding transport.

Interstate transport. FOPA really covers transport from an initial state, THROUGH a second state, and ending in a third state.

When I would go to pistol shoots in Pennsylvania, I figured Maryland law applies to the border, then Pennsylvania law took over. FOPA did not apply.

Maryland doesn't forbid loaded magazines. My pistols are in a holster or rug in the range bag with loaded mags and extra ammo. My Utah permit gives me extra protection while transporting in Pennsylvania, although it is no longer valid for carry there.

I think the OP is transporting a pistol to an indoor range in Maryland.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    The counter guy was misinformed or just lying. The law does not forbid loaded mags, and there is an AG letter stating his interpretation is that loaded mags are legal to transport in a vehicle. The letter is dated 15 Jan 2010... I have a copy I saved from someone posting it here but can't repost at the moment.

That being said, a range is a privately owned business, so if they want to make a rule that you can't enter with loaded mags, they can do that.

The guy might have been addressing if I had it in my car like that since it was all together in the one bag, but not accessible, like in the trunk. I can't recall exactly the whole conversation but he was using a lot of 'conviction' to make his point. This was in '93 probably. It was definitely a power trip thing at play to some degree, partly to just make an impression on a young shooter, and I just kept quiet and 'dove under the wave' so I could go on and shoot. Inside I was obviously annoyed I was put on the spot. From that day forward I vowed to never be on the spot again.:lol2:

Some people want to create big stir while others can simply just explain what they want you know without a lot of drama.

So later the discussion I had was with someone who was actually 'better informed'.

This below is less comprehensive than I recalled other times reading it
    From MSP website FAQ:
    "How can I legally transport firearms within / through Maryland?

​They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division​."

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    From MSP website FAQ:
    "How can I legally transport firearms within / through Maryland?

​They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division​."

Interesting choices of words on their part.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I think after that first sentence it's no longer clear. Should and must are indicative of a directive such as the law. But 'would be best' is kind of non committal and the rest is just catch all guidance.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I think after that first sentence it's no longer clear. Should and must are indicative of a directive such as the law. But 'would be best' is kind of non committal and the rest is just catch all guidance.
    Welcome to regulatory interpretation in the state of Maryland...when the statutes are written with open pitfalls, this is the type of regulatory guidance available to the state agencies. It's Maryland's Attorney Reinvestment Fund. :sarcasm:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

Here's that letter. I keep it pretty handy.

Attachments

• AG on transporting loaded magazines.pdf
      41.4 KB · Views: 446

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I must admit, I'm a little new to handguns(getting re familiarized after a long time off).

No slight intended Outrider-- I fretted over this very thing and it was one of the reasons I found the MDS forum... just trying to "do the right thing" as far as transporting in MD. I just find it fascinating that each time this discussion comes up it ALWAYS runs this course-- the MD BGOS is real. A good headshrinker could probably make his/her fortune counseling MD gun owners!

ALeGatore

Feb 25, 2017
    New Shooter, go take a gun safety course. Read MSP website for more information. Put Gun in case; Put everything else in another bag. Go to range and shoot.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No slight intended Outrider-- I fretted over this very thing and it was one of the reasons I found the MDS forum... just trying to "do the right thing" as far as transporting in MD. I just find it fascinating that each time this discussion comes up it ALWAYS runs this course-- the MD BGOS is real. A good headshrinker could probably make his/her fortune counseling MD gun owners!
    No slight taken at all River02. I'd rather be corrected than wrong. :thumbsup:

The rest is just the nature of the beast. Different states, different rules, then add in going through one state to get to a third...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Later on as time went on another individual 'in the business' said the law really prohibits ammunition feeding devices from being in a weapon under transport. I think he meant that you can have the loaded mags in the car but separate from the firearm. It might have been a LEO that I was shooting with that I told about the above story to. But that's not important now as:

I just leave it all empty to and from the range so I don't need to figure out or test the exactness of the law or an officer's interpretation should an opportunity arise. I generally put the ammo in a different container during my trip and put it into my bag when I get to the range.

You should get a range bag for numerous other reasons than based on what you should do with the ammo and firearm during transport.:D

On target has its own rule about bringing in loaded mags, that has nothing to do with the state of MD.
    You may have loaded mags in the same bag, just not inserted into the firearm.

Also it’s best to not get legal advice from law enforcement (or gun shops for that matter) many times it is incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So even if you couldn't have mags in the same bag, would you just carry your range stuff in plastic grocery bags?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    What is your favorite range bag and why?

Larue range bag. It's strong and has adjustable compartments. I've had close to 50lbs in it and it's stayed strong.

My other cheaper bag had all the zipper pulls break and or become unusable. I've had it close to 10 years and it's still in 100% condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom