• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I’m considering an over/under and wanna see how they feel/fit. Has anyone seen a Silver Pigeon or Cynergy local to Baltimore county without driving to PA? Looking to drive about an hour or so from Baltimore county to handle either of these.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Both are excellent. See how each shoulders. If you see one...take a look at the Weatherby Athena as well. CZ makes some nice shotguns as well but I'm not sure they can be considered in the same class as the Browning, Beretta or a Weatherby.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    I know you don't want to hear it, but make the drive up to Joel Etchens in PA. They have dozens of many different makes of shotguns on hand and you really can't beat trying them one after the other. It's remarkable how different guns feel when compared to each other. No place in Maryland has as many guns as Joel's does. Plus, they will fit the gun to you when you pick one out. Really can't beat them.

We made a weekend trip of it and went hiking and visited Falling Waters which is nearby. There's also Ft. Ligonier to check out if you like history.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I know you don't want to hear it, but make the drive up to Joel Etchens in PA. They have dozens of many different makes of shotguns on hand and you really can't beat trying them one after the other. It's remarkable how different guns feel when compared to each other. No place in Maryland has as many guns as Joel's does. Plus, they will fit the gun to you when you pick one out. Really can't beat them.

We made a weekend trip of it and went hiking and visited Falling Waters which is nearby. There's also Ft. Ligonier to check out if you like history.

Yup! I was avoiding the drive. I was hoping a member could offer some obscure shop that might have one that I could try that was closer.

Blazer

Oct 29, 2020
    Cove Creek Outfitters in Bedford also has a good selection of shotguns. I bought my Blazer F16 Sporting from them. As a bonus they have free shipping and will mail it to your FFL and avoiding PA and MD tax. The key is finding one that fits or nearly so. Although I am a Beretta guy, having several, the Blazer fit me better. In normal times, I'd say got to the PG Shooting Center in Glen Dale. They will help you find the best fitting Beretta and you could even rent a gun and try it out. COVID has stopped that option for the time being. We all have our preferences and I always liked the svelte lines of Berettas, Brownings remind me of 2 by 4s.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    In order of preference:
    1. Beretta
    2. Citori
    And way down the list at 100 is everything else that’s cheaper

As noted above another strong vote for Etchens. They are experts in target shotguns. They’re the biggest Beretta dealer in the country because they take care of the customer. They understand this is a big purchase for people whether you’re spending $1500 or $15,000. They are NOT high pressure. If I was in the market for a new gun that’s where I’d go. Maybe if I win the Powerball.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    In order of preference:
    1. Beretta
    2. Citori
    And way down the list at 100 is everything else that’s cheaper

As noted above another strong vote for Etchens. They are experts in target shotguns. They’re the biggest Beretta dealer in the country because they take care of the customer. They understand this is a big purchase for people whether you’re spending $1500 or $15,000. They are NOT high pressure. If I was in the market for a new gun that’s where I’d go. Maybe if I win the Powerball.
    I got sucked into trap while trying to find more trigger time for 3gun.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I got sucked into trap while trying to find more trigger time for 3gun.

That’s not uncommon. I know a number people that were serious diehard rifle and/or pistol shooters that once they started shooting shotgun they cut back/stopped shooting rifle and pistol. I’ve been shooting shotgun (mostly Skeet) for 35+ years all around the mid Atlantic. Sporting Clays and 5-stand weren’t around when I started.

Where do you shoot trap? Loch Raven, Carney…?

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    You can meet me tomorrow at Baltimore County Game and Fish and shoot my Browning Cynergy CX. I like it.

$5 per round of trap and bring your own ammo. I can sell you box of my reloads if needed. Its a private club but we can bring guest currently for Trap night.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I am far from an expert clay shooter, but I have a Browning Cynergy CX and absolutely love it. I scored it for around $1300 at Bass Pro in 2019 after a rebate.

Shot three rounds straight last time I went shooting with it (personal record).

I was at Bass Pro yesterday and they had a ton of over/unders in stock, many I believe are Brownings and Berettas.

In my experience it's all about fit. The Citori has a taller receiver vs the cynergy and the cynergy uses a striker mechanism and mechanical triggers, so no worries about it not going bang on the second shot.

The Cynergy got a bad rap when it first came out because of the original ugly recoil pad and some had nasty triggers. My trigger is superbly crisp and fully adjustable.

Given how it fit and felt at the store, I felt no reason to spend extra on the Citori.

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    Both are excellent, it comes down to how they feel to you. Find a place to hold both, look at the price tag and make your choice. You will have a long happy relationship with either

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    OP, one factor is how comfortable you are “going into” your gun to perform your own routine and preventative maintenance and tuneups.

Our family had always been “BnB” (Beretta and Browning w some Benelli thrown in) but, over the last decade and a half its pretty much Browning , Browning , Browning and Citoris 325, 425, 525 and 625, specifically. This has evolved as a result of how darn easy peezy it is to get in and out of the Citori internals to do everything from routine cleanings to wholesale parts swaps. And all ^that^ is consequential to a gracious member (Mr. Bill Wood) of the ShotgunWorld.com “Gunsmithing and Restoration” forum who posted this seminal step-by-step photo tutorial on “How To DIY Perform a Citori - Complete Receiver Tuneup - With Pics” : https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=261153

Since Bill posted that gift to all of us I now have a parts chest brimming with multiple replacements of all the Browning factory parts internal to 12ga and 28ga Citori‘s to last me several lifetimes so, it’s kinda natural that’s the way I lean when I have $ to buy a new o/u ... I wouldn’t know how to perform a complete overhaul or even the most rudimentary tuneup of a Beretta (without the potential for voiding any mfr commitments) to save my butt and I doubt I’d try to “learn on the wife’s gun.”

You cannot go wrong with either a Beretta or a Browning but, if your a DIY kind of shooter, and not knowing how easy or not it is to obtain and DIY swap-in parts for Berettas, the ease of maintaining a Citori will always be a factor to consider, for me ...

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I am far from an expert clay shooter, but I have a Browning Cynergy CX and absolutely love it. I scored it for around $1300 at Bass Pro in 2019 after a rebate.

Shot three rounds straight last time I went shooting with it (personal record).

I was at Bass Pro yesterday and they had a ton of over/unders in stock, many I believe are Brownings and Berettas.

In my experience it's all about fit. The Citori has a taller receiver vs the cynergy and the cynergy uses a striker mechanism and mechanical triggers, so no worries about it not going bang on the second shot.

The Cynergy got a bad rap when it first came out because of the original ugly recoil pad and some had nasty triggers. My trigger is superbly crisp and fully adjustable.

Given how it fit and felt at the store, I felt no reason to spend extra on the Citori.

I opted for the Cynergy Composite. It was very hard coughing up another $5/600 dollars more for a S Pigeon I. I went to Clydes and tried a Citori to get an idea of fit.

I went to the range yesterday and went through 3 boxes. I have no complaints. The gun came with 3 chokes but I will pick up additional chokes in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom