• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 25, 2021
    Are they truly worth the cost or have they just been made so popular that they’re pricing has gone through the roof because of the popularity?

GMCometh

Jan 20, 2010
    Fallston
    Are they truly worth the cost or have they just been made so popular that they’re pricing has gone through the roof because of the popularity?

Before the limited availability and price gouging began, I probably wouldn't have bought a Daniel Defense. However, I'm now seeing low and mid-tier rifles going for a few hundred dollars less than DD.

If you're in need of one quickly, might as well spend the extra money....just my .02 cents.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    I was on the fence about them at one time also. Friend has one and we would argue about it . Well I own one now. It’s all in what you want . The tolerances on these rifles are tight . Fit and finish are extremely high quality in comparison to a Delton, M&P or one you can piece together. Which I know last one can be argued. Barrels are amazing . There was a time I didn’t think they where but have since changed my mind. I love mine . Have other rifles with quality parts but if you want top tear out of the box with no worries and not having to take time to build your own get one. Also are you plinking , punching holes in paper on weekends or are ya going to use it and put some serious round counts down range .its piece of mind for me that I can get it and know it is going to work every time and look good doing it. There other rifles just as good .get hat ya pay for. JMO

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    DD, BCM, Wilson and Larue are probably the best defensive builds. Everything built right, built tough, upgrades where they make sense, and they can be worth the cost if you want something reliable and solid. Much depends on what you want in a rifle, and what parts are worth what cost. Might have a different builder suit your needs better if you want one for competition, precision or for a budget range run.

MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020
    DD, BCM, Wilson and Larue are probably the best defensive builds. Everything built right, built tough, upgrades where they make sense, and they can be worth the cost if you want something reliable and solid. Much depends on what you want in a rifle, and what parts are worth what cost. Might have a different builder suit your needs better if you want one for competition, precision or for a budget range run.
    Knights Armament would be in those categories also.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Knights Armament would be in those categories also.

Definitely, and a few others.

There are also "boutique competition" like Fortis, JP, Cobalt, V7, Rainier etc. they don't have the combat record and mil-spec coatings in all the right places, but add some cool unique features, and in many ways are better at the range than the best of the combat oriented makes.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If we're making a list of great AR manufacturers, I'd add Centurion, Sionics and Sons of Liberty to it.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I have 2 DDs and an AR-15 I built (many DD parts)--- I enjoy them all. But... my DD Mk18 is my go to for the HD role--. DD customer service is one of their selling points...and the lifetime warranty gives you some assurance your not pissing money into the wind. In the end-- only you can judge for yourself if the juice was worth the squeeze-- for you. As far as I'm concerned---money well spent--no regrets.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I have a DDM4V7p (essentially the Mk18 with Mlok rail) that I SBR'd and a DD M4 Block ii clone upper that are both excellent and I feel well worth it.

As a previous poster mentioned, DD's are now only a few hundred more than mid tier AR's which are suffering from crazy price inflation. Is it worth spending $1500-$1800 on a DD? Maybe. Is it worth spending $1100-1200 on a Ruger 556 or S&W M&P Sport? NEVER.

Also, DD barrels are supremely accurate for what they are. My only AR that beats them in terms of accuracy is a custom Criterion build.

I also only run DD or BCM bolt carrier groups in my SHTF rifles.

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    DD is a unit well worth the price but don't overlook LWRC, they are starting to catch up and inventory is coming back to several stores

May 25, 2021
    Thanks all for the sound opinions. I’ve also been looking at LWRC, being local to MD and having shot my buddies and loved it.

Kazaam

Sep 24, 2021
    Yup. Can't go wrong. Got 2 DDs (DDM4 PDW & MK18) along with my LWRC DI. Daniel Defense anything is WELL worth the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom