• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    DNR sent out a survey last week. It sounds like it wasn't sent out to everyone but I could be wrong.

The main question is would you rather gave a 15 day season with a two bird/day limit or a 30 day season with a one bird/day limit?

I'd rather have 30 days to hunt. I enjoy hunting and bringing home game is a bonus. The one bird limit though can make for an awfully short hunt.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    They haven't done a survey the past two years due to the border being closed, so we don't really know what the numbers are and whether we really need to still be on this restrictive season. The breeding ground conditions were supposedly very good this year.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I didn't get a survey. I'd take 30 days at 1 per as well based on the last couple years.

Trappemann

Mar 26, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    USFWS published a paper several years ago that was not about this, but is actually all about this.

It stated that the early and late resident seasons, nationwide, have had no positive impact on reducing the resident flocks and that they didn't know what they were going to do about it.

States have enjoyed the increased revenue that resident seasons bring through license sales.

Our Flyway Council has put their collective head in the sand on this issue. Prior to the last moratorium on AP Canada Goose Hunting in Maryland, we were told that our birds did not "short-stop". I talk to many, many people throughout the year who hunt very long and liberal resident seasons in New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, etc. who say that after the first week of their season their resident "giants go into hiding and they begin to grind AP birds at a rate of 8-15 birds per person per day, depending n the area they are hunting. That phenomenon did not occur until the resident flock on the Atlantic Flyway was so large that it began to decoy the migrating AP birds. Their reluctance to euthanize Resident Flocks will continue to change the wild bird migrations across the continent.

When I was a child, we had large numbers of migratory geese in Maryland by late September. Now we don't have large numbers of geese in Maryland until December, if at all. When they do arrive, they are with Giants who have been pushed by weather. (Giants, Canada Maxima, are what the residents are, and are only pushed south by weather)

We may never have a decent September migration again. Too many broods have been introduced to parts North.

But if we are going to have a season at all, I would like 30 and 1.

RonRJA

Oct 29, 2014
    Anne Arundel County
    When I go out with my FIL and his friends I have to travel an hour to the Eastern Shore and 1 bird just isnt worth the travel time , decoy setup, etc for me. There were times even when the limit was 2 , the 4-5 of us in our blind would max out in a couple hours.

If I was just traveling 5-20min though I could see why most people would rather have the longer season. I hate to say it, but I always felt they should have just did a moratorium for a year or two instead of limiting to 1 and making the season so short. Then maybe after a couple years we would be in better shape to just go back to two. Im sure they dont want to give up the state duck stamp revenue though.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I did not receive a survey either. I am almost indifferent.

Somewhat ridiculous that the feds cannot figure this out. I remember the moratorium in the 90's. Looks like it hasn't gotten any better.

The new trend might end up being people traveling to western Maryland to hunt resident birds in the late season. That is what I was doing back in the early 2,000s.

bstanley

Dec 1, 2010
    Gambrills
    I would rather have the western part of the state on the same page, And our neighbors to the north all the way to Canada do their part.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I didn't get a survey. I would rather have no season for a year or two than 5 years of one bird seasons. If it's really that bad, just close it down. If it's not, we need to be able to hunt. This halfway thing doesn't make much sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom