• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I believe any abuse of our natural resources is bad but I could almost understand if it was by a poorly educated recent immigrant but abuse by non-citizens is an insult to our Country and intentional breaking of game laws by professional water men, or well educated "sportsmen" who know better is inexcusable. The people who may not have understood the law but appeared to be trying to comply, licenses etc. should have a token fine and reeducation. The non-citizens should be deported if here illegally (breaking laws on top of laws) legal non-citizens should be fined appropriate to the circumstances including license status and severity of the violation. The "professionals" and "sportsmen" should have the book thrown at them including suspensions, confiscations, and fines commensurate with their economic standing. A $50 fine stings a lot more to a Hispanic immigrant working a minimum wage job who is fishing to stretch his food budget than a $500 fine to someone with a six digit income living in a $1,000,000 house.

Attorneys and Judges did not notice corn floating around their blind? Come on Man.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Here we go, the list of commercial fishermen in Maryland that have had their licenses revoked/suspended this year for violations:

https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/Documents/Commercial_SuspensionsRevocations.pdf

Most sound like white guy names, and I guarantee you that these commercial fishermen are having a much larger impact on "our" resources than a bunch of Hispanics fishing from the shore or small boats.

Alas, some people on this board just do not understand the big picture and focus on the small optics that they understand and a certain set of people that they despise.

Also, they aren't having their licenses revoked for one or two fish here and there.

fabsroman, I agree with you on your cautions about racial profiling (indeed there is only ONE race, the human race) and on the disproportionate damage commercial fishermen are doing. However the list you cited was for convictions, not initial citations, and thus is not representative of the whole. People here in our country illegally, from any country, are not going to show up for a DNR court case anymore than they did for their catch and release immigration court case.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    fabsroman, I agree with you on your cautions about racial profiling (indeed there is only ONE race, the human race) and on the disproportionate damage commercial fishermen are doing. However the list you cited was for convictions, not initial citations, and thus is not representative of the whole. People here in our country illegally, from any country, are not going to show up for a DNR court case anymore than they did for their catch and release immigration court case.

Now we know why they'll walk past a group of Hispanics, and go right to someone else.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    The corn doesn’t float. It sits on the bottom. Come on, man.
    ......and it shows up in aerial photos like glow in the dark material!!! How do I know? We had a shore blind on a creek on Kent Island. Another group had one on the other side of the creek. One morning, not to long after setting up, a knock comes on the top of the blind.... The very nice, camo clad, badge and photo carrying DNR Officer, explained to us that hunting up the creek was a no-no (we were on a point at the mouth of the creek) and that we were ok, since they had the other group of hunters under surveillance, and were well aware of thier activities.

About an hour later, after a few shots across the creek, a veritable who's who of Wildlife enforcement agents descends by land, sea, and air (ok, they didn't descend, just hovered overhead). Never saw anybody hunt that blind the rest of the season.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I think you are missing the point.

I think YOU missed the point. Outrider is spot on...those names you posted are mostly watermen. Watermen are about 97% white. And I'm probably low-balling that number. Your charter boat list is similar...vast majority are white. So your point is moot. And yes, when you go down the list of general-public violations, they are predominately hispanic. That's not racist or biased, that's a fact.

Okay, I see the point(I think :D).

It's always been held that the commercial guys always get away with just a slap on the wrist and a '...don't ever do this again...".

I'm not seeing any fines on there(I admit not reading every dirty little detail), just around a year suspension? I realize they can't 'work' for a year, but still seems kinda lenient.
    Actually the commercial guys get hit harder because they're supposed to know better. A year suspension for them is HUGE. No income for a year. A second offense is revoking the license.

Nah, imagine not being able to earn a living for a year. That itself is a huge "fine". Now, for those that were revoked, they had better start looking for a new line of work, because they are not getting their license back for a long, long time, if ever.

You have gotten the point though. Those really worried about the resource wouldn't be irate about a couple Hispanics that caught a couple fish over the limit, they would be really, really irate about how badly the commercial fisherman exploits the resource. However, that does not fit the narrative of "Hispanics bad - Caucasians good".

I wonder how many Hispanic thieves it takes to equal a single Madoff.

Plus, races tend to hang out together. I usually hunt and fish with Italians and Greeks, couple "white boys" here and there. lol

Pretty sure if DNR rolls up on a group, the members of the group would probably be "alike".

Anyway, the largest damage to our resource is usually done by the commercial guys.

I could look up the court cases for those "white boy" cases I posted and figure out what their fines were, but that would take me forever. They probably feel like they are "entitled" to the resource because they were born in America. They are true Americans.

Wonder if the white man blamed the American-Indians for the near extinction of the Bison.

Regardless, there is usually one or two DNR links a summer here about Hispanic-Americans poaching fish.
    Sheesh....Lots of hyperbole in here.

The largest damage done to resources are people who act like commercial watermen, but actually aren't. They don't have licenses, but they have the gear. Take a look at the people who get caught harvesting thousands of pounds of undersize or out of season stripers. They generally don't have a license. They are also generally hispanic. Oysters are different though...most of the people breaking the rules are watermen, because non-watermen can't sell in the open market. Crabs are exploited by recreational guys taking advantage of the rules...two bushels per day per person that they then turn around and sell (especially at today's prices). Again, acting like commercial guys, but aren't. These guys are mostly white. Not that that matters, but them's the facts.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I think YOU missed the point. Outrider is spot on...those names you posted are mostly watermen. Watermen are about 97% white. And I'm probably low-balling that number. Your charter boat list is similar...vast majority are white. So your point is moot. And yes, when you go down the list of general-public violations, they are predominately hispanic. That's not racist or biased, that's a fact.

Actually the commercial guys get hit harder because they're supposed to know better. A year suspension for them is HUGE. No income for a year. A second offense is revoking the license.

Sheesh....Lots of hyperbole in here.

The largest damage done to resources are people who act like commercial watermen, but actually aren't. They don't have licenses, but they have the gear. Take a look at the people who get caught harvesting thousands of pounds of undersize or out of season stripers. They generally don't have a license. They are also generally hispanic. Oysters are different though...most of the people breaking the rules are watermen, because non-watermen can't sell in the open market. Crabs are exploited by recreational guys taking advantage of the rules...two bushels per day per person that they then turn around and sell (especially at today's prices). Again, acting like commercial guys, but aren't. These guys are mostly white. Not that that matters, but them's the facts.

Sheesh, lots of hyperbole in that right there.

I'll admit, I don't have specific facts other than the sound of the names I posted and the long list of commercial watermen that had their licenses revoked or suspended. Now, do you have any facts to show that the watermen are getting busted for only a single fish over the limit? Any facts to show that law enforcement does not turn a blind eye to small violations by commercial watermen? Any facts to show whether it is mostly Hispanics that are causing the most damage to our fisheries?

Now, maybe you can explain in plain English what the motive of the OP was. I would love to be able to read between the lines and be shown that it was not racially motivated. Believe I saw some reference within this thread itself to people with Hispanic names being illegals. Anybody calling a person an illegal just because said person has a Hispanic sounding name is well...................

Enlighten me.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The latest DNR poaching report just came out and true to form its white people committing various crimes and Hispanics poaching rockfish. Why are the crimes segregated? I don’t know.

The Maryland Natural Resources Police recently charged several individuals throughout the state for illegal activities including weapons charges at a state park, operating watercraft while intoxicated, illegal fishing, and more.

A Delaware man was charged with operating a personal watercraft while intoxicated and speeding June 19 on the Bohemia River in Cecil County. Officers on boat patrol observed the watercraft exceeding the 6-knot speed limit and stopped the driver, identified as Craig Logan, 25, of Dover. Police believed Logan to be impaired by alcohol and conducted a field sobriety test, after which he was arrested and additionally charged with negligent operation of a vessel, and exceeding the 6-knot speed limit on the middle Bohemia River. He faces up to $3,000 in fines and a year and four months in jail.

NRP charged a Cecilton man for impaired driving June 11 after he nearly struck a police car head-on. Officers on patrol near the fairgrounds in Cecilton observed a car driving negligently and after nearly being struck, they conducted a traffic stop. Officers say they detected a strong odor of alcohol on the driver, Perez Gustavo, 28, and that his eyes were reportedly bloodshot and glassy. After conducting a field sobriety test, police arrested Gustavo for driving a vehicle while impaired by alcohol. Additional charges included negligent operation, failing to display a license and registration, and reckless driving. He faces up to 3 years of imprisonment and $6,500 in fines.

A Boonsboro man faces multiple charges, including operating a boat while impaired, after fleeing an NRP boat patrol on June 18. Officers patrolling the Potomac River in Frederick County spotted a vessel traveling without its required navigational lights. When police instructed the operator, Joel Weaver, 38, to dock his boat, he replied that he had too much to drink and then fled. After a brief pursuit, officers observed Weaver on Meadow Island, where he attempted to board his boat and run again. Police say they detected an odor of alcohol on Weaver, his eyes were bloodshot and glassy, and his speech was slurred. After Weaver refused to take the field sobriety test, police placed him under arrest for operating while under the influence of alcohol. Additional charges reckless operation, negligent operation, and failure to display navigation lights. He faces up to $3,270 in fines and a year and four months in jail.

Police charged a West Virginia man June 11 with bringing a loaded handgun to a Garrett County state park, after he reported leaving it in a cabin. Officers say Brent Mallek, 30, reported that he left the gun in a cabin at Herrington Manor State Park; he informed staff about it after he had left and the cabin was occupied by new residents. Park rangers safely and immediately removed the gun. Officers learned that Mallek was prohibited from possessing firearms due to a prior conviction. After confiscating the weapon, police charged Mallek with felony possession of a firearm, illegal possession of ammunition, and possession of a weapon in a state park. Mallek could face up to 16 years in prison and $1,500 in fines.

Three men were charged with violating size and creel limits for striped bass June 13 at Kent Narrows in Queen Anne’s County. Officers on boat patrol say they observed the men fishing on a vessel just north of the Kent Narrows drawbridge and conducted a conservation stop. The officers say they found a plastic bag containing nine undersized striped bass hidden in a corner of the boat. The three fishermen were identified as Jose Remberto Pereira Lizama, 40, of Hyattsville; Jose Issac Mungui Panameno, 37, of Gaithersburg; and Walter Exavier Gonzalez Rivera, 37,also of Gaithersburg. All three were charged with exceeding the striped bass possession limit, striped bass size limit, striped bass while fishing. Each man faces up to $3,000 in fines.

NRP charged two Washington County men with illegal possession of smallmouth bass after investigating a case that began in May. On May 30, police received information that Kevin Murphy, 28, and Casey Shank, 26, were in possession of seven smallmouth bass that were caught out of season. Both men later admitted to catching the bass in a creek in Washington County and using them for bait in a catfish tournament in Pennsylvania several days later Police charged the pair on June 24 with seven counts of possessing smallmouth bass during the closed season; each man faces up to $7,000 in fines and suspension of their Maryland recreational fishing privileges.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    The real crime here is the poor WV Bastard who faces 16 years in prison for straying over into a Md. Campground with his WV Legal handgun. The fact that he left it behind was indeed a problem but not one that fits the "crime".

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The real crime here is the poor WV Bastard who faces 16 years in prison for straying over into a Md. Campground with his WV Legal handgun. The fact that he left it behind was indeed a problem but not one that fits the "crime".

Unless you’re the family who booked the cabin after him and your little kid finds the gun.
    I agree 16 years is a lot but he was extremely irresponsible. He’ll never serve time for that anyway.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Sheesh, lots of hyperbole in that right there.

I'll admit, I don't have specific facts other than the sound of the names I posted and the long list of commercial watermen that had their licenses revoked or suspended. Now, do you have any facts to show that the watermen are getting busted for only a single fish over the limit? Any facts to show that law enforcement does not turn a blind eye to small violations by commercial watermen? Any facts to show whether it is mostly Hispanics that are causing the most damage to our fisheries?

Now, maybe you can explain in plain English what the motive of the OP was. I would love to be able to read between the lines and be shown that it was not racially motivated. Believe I saw some reference within this thread itself to people with Hispanic names being illegals. Anybody calling a person an illegal just because said person has a Hispanic sounding name is well...................

Enlighten me.
    Watermen aren't limited by number of fish, so "one fish over" isn't a thing. But one bushel of oysters IS. And yes, when caught, they get punished. There are lots of checks and balances for watermen on the shellfish side (can't sell direct, must report harvests, must tag each bushel, etc). They are held to a higher standard.

As far as the intent of the OP was...I couldn't tell ya, I'm not him. But I can tell you that the fishing violations of "average people" are overwhelmingly hispanic, and it hasn't gone unnoticed at DNR/NRP. They won't come right out and say it, but they've noticed. As a result, there's lots of "education" programs to help stop it (often disguised as community outreach type programs). DNR does lots of spanish-speaking events at state parks to "help people to use the resources", but make no mistake...there's lots of education on the fishing rules passed on at these.

If you want to call the OP racist for pointing something out, go ahead, but you'd be no better than the virtue-signaling leftists out there who turn a blind eye crimes committed by minorities. Pointing out facts isn't racist.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Watermen aren't limited by number of fish, so "one fish over" isn't a thing. But one bushel of oysters IS. And yes, when caught, they get punished. There are lots of checks and balances for watermen on the shellfish side (can't sell direct, must report harvests, must tag each bushel, etc). They are held to a higher standard.

As far as the intent of the OP was...I couldn't tell ya, I'm not him. But I can tell you that the fishing violations of "average people" are overwhelmingly hispanic, and it hasn't gone unnoticed at DNR/NRP. They won't come right out and say it, but they've noticed. As a result, there's lots of "education" programs to help stop it (often disguised as community outreach type programs). DNR does lots of spanish-speaking events at state parks to "help people to use the resources", but make no mistake...there's lots of education on the fishing rules passed on at these.

If you want to call the OP racist for pointing something out, go ahead, but you'd be no better than the virtue-signaling leftists out there who turn a blind eye crimes committed by minorities. Pointing out facts isn't racist.

I posted just for the reason you stated. I see numerous DNR press releases with fishing violations, and yes, I have noticed the trend that people with Hispanic names are there frequently. I’ve refrained from coming back and posting in this thread since a member posted and tried to change the topic here instead of starting his own thread to bash waterman.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Just like when local crime is discussed on Facebook. If anyone dares to mention the race of someone involved in these crimes, and they're not Amish or Swedish, all Hell breaks loose and they are called 50 kinds of racist. It has become offensive to try and give an accurate description of crime suspects. It's crazy.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016

"Officers learned that Mallek was prohibited from possessing firearms due to a prior conviction" - Doesnt sound WV legal if he has a felony.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Yeah, admittedly, my comment was based on hearsay from mostly charter guys through the years. I understand what a year suspension can mean. I guess my main point was, it depends on the fisherman and his ability to find other means of work(I wonder if the suspension revokes his ability to work on another commercial boat as a crewman, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom