• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I had been working in the Building Automation field before I retired in 3/2020. I got thinking about infrastructure security and protection. The majority of the home security systems today are internet based and mainly by cable or fiber. The old land line systems are far and few between.

So how easy is it to defeat your home security system as both the fiber and cable are exposed on the outside of your home.

So my next project will be putting the cable in a mini duct bank. Where it turns up into the house I will be building a SST box bolted with security screws to the outside of my house. The mini duct bank will be 3/4 SST piping and will only need about 10 feet.

Ok maybe too far but retirement has me finding stuff to do. I di recently help a friend install a ZWave system in his house. No monthly fees he owns everything .

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Pretty sure some of the newer systems use a cell-phone SIM card so the system can send alerts via text messages. You'd need a UPS to be completely free of external connections.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Pretty sure some of the newer systems use a cell-phone SIM card so the system can send alerts via text messages. You'd need a UPS to be completely free of external connections.

Yes they do however, they can be easily defeated with a hand held cell jammer. There are approximately 38% of the homes in the US that have some type of security monitoring and less than .25% of them have cell monitoring typically the rich and famous.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Yes they do however, they can be easily defeated with a hand held cell jammer. There are approximately 38% of the homes in the US that have some type of security monitoring and less than .25% of them have cell monitoring typically the rich and famous.

Someone told me that. I laughed at him. :cool:

btw, loss of ping is a failure.

Raiderjack23

MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2020
    Carroll County
    If you have a need to protect against those who will go to the point of cutting power/phone lines or jamming cell service don't you have a different level of security needs than a typical home security or DIY security system are meant (or expected) to provide?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

And most of them use wifi cameras which can be easily defeated.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why do you think you would be targeted by an electronics genius thief as opposed to the standard run of the mill passer by burglar?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Rebels in SA are carrying cell phone jammers when attacking farm communities.

But, IMO, security systems are really only to convince the bad guys to pick another place. Not to actually react to a breakin.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Alarm systems, just like locks, keep honest people honest. As stated, and are a deterrent. The boys in the hood will go to the next house that looks easier. If someone really wants to get in, they will. Your big ass dog will bark and end up dead if you really a target.
    Cell backups are a few bucks a month. Not the expense of old.
    The only thing you can rely on these days is yourself.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Seems everyone here has a bit of thief in them. :D

Seems yall know how to beat security systems. I say prove it.;)

Hell, just move to California and loot at will. Or vote for more Democrats. It is getting easier to steal all the time. Why look for a challenge when you are not sure you can beat it. Internet and TV shows wont clue you in on a new system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom