• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • legendindisguise

MDS Supporter
    Jul 16, 2021
    I tip based on service. I usually don't tip if I'm picking up the food, however there are a few places I frequent and they are very polite, professional and show they care about the customer, so I will tip.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Digital Tip Jar

Attachments

• Digital Tip Jar.jpg
      Digital Tip Jar.jpg
      129.9 KB · Views: 251
    • Digital Tip Jar2.jpg
      Digital Tip Jar2.jpg
      120.3 KB · Views: 242

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    I usually pay by credit card, but almost always tip in cash. In the “tip” line on the receipt I write “taxation is theft”. It entertains me.

Right on Doc. I'm going to start doing that too. I'll make sure to give you credit as I imagine my friends are going to get a kick out of this!

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I can't stand tip jars everywhere. I generally tip 20% at meals, give my barber a 5 for a 20 dollar haircut. My wife is the one who orders food, so she adds the tip online. The whole Covid 19 social distancing thing has made tipping confusing too. We ordered from Olive Garden, and drove up and they walked it out and put it in the back seat. I reached down to get some cash for a tip and the person was gone. But, Dunkin Donuts has a tip jar. For sucky donuts, but my kids like them. Snowball stands, tip jar. Every place down at the OBX seemed to have a tip jar. Thing is I rarely carry cash. Mainly use cash for gun stuff, credit for everything else out of convenience. Also, WHO do you tip, and how much? Seems like everything. I recall at our wedding, it was chaotic, some people got drunk, and we were dealing with a situation. The DJ came up and asked us if everything was going well, and I said yeah. He did a good job. Turns out in all the chaos, I forgot to tip him, and he left a little upset. I guess I understand, but it completely slipped my mind.

I drive all over for a living, busting my ass for customers. Haven't gotten a tip in 20 years. Doesn't make me bitter towards them however, they all get great service to the best of my ability. I had a customer in Towson, awesome guy, he'd tip me. I told him it was against company policy (Xerox), and he said he didn't care, he's the customer, customer is always right. He said the company doesn't need to know. One time I refused, and he told me to go down to the cafe in the lobby and tell the guy who sent me. Went down for lunch, on the house. One customer was a lady who did a Hebrew school in her basement. Her husband owned a Kosher deli. She sent me home with a bag full of Kosher lunchmeats. Another old lady who ran an accounting business out of her home, kicked a few technicians out, so they sent me in. After that she requested me, and always had cookies or chocolates for me. The good ole days. Now I am lucky if 1 out of 10 customers fill out the customer survey.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    The only reason I carry cash is to tip. Except at Gun shows because those were always cash transactions. until this year it was always cash and carry in MD shows. Haven’t been to an out of state show in a few years.

Former bartender and worked in food service for most of my life. I know the taxes that servers have to claim with credit card payments. When paying at a restaurant, I always subtlety let the server know that the tip is in cash and will be in the folio when they bring my card back. Also, servers usually have to tip out the bussers and bartenders. Cash makes it easier for all around. And they really appreciate it.

If I’m picking up takeout, or ordering to go; no tip. If getting food delivered there is a tip for the driver.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I can't stand tip jars everywhere. I generally tip 20% at meals, give my barber a 5 for a 20 dollar haircut.

Back last July/August I’m not sure when the COVID restrictions were lifted for barbers. Anyway, I cut (butchered) my own hair a few months prior trying to cut it myself. I had been working late and I looked like a vagabond and smelled worse. I needed a haircut badly and It was almost closing time. My goto place was closed down, a victim of the shutdowns. So I went to a place I had never been. I could tell it was a nicer place than I was used to and catered to women and men. It had a sign on the door that said appointment only. So I turned around and started walking back to my car. A women opened the door and asked if I needed a haircut. I said I didn’t have an appointment and she said that was just a COVID thing but she was open and didn’t have any customers.

So I went in and apologized for my appearance. She said it was not a problem. As she was looking at my potato head I laughed and said well thats what happens when you try to cut it yourself. I asked her to just make it look nice. She spent maybe 40min fixing me up really well. It looked great. The haircut was $18 and I gave her a $50 and said keep the change. I justified it by saying to myself it was my first haircut in over 7-8 months and I was still probably way below my annual haircut budget.

She said it was too much but I insisted.

So now when I go back Rachel knows my name and if she is busy she just tells one of the other women to take good care of my hair.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I tip 20% or so, whether I eat there or takeout. But only at restaurants where there are actual servers taking the order. No tips at fast food or fast casual.

If I'm eating out, I've already made the decision to spend too much on food, so why not support the server, too.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    What did the leper say to the prostitute when they finished?

"Keep the tip"

Sorry, best I can do right now.

Carry on.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I have heard a girl I know talk about the Jimmy Johns sub shop in Bel Air where she works not paying their employees minimum wage. According to her the management claims they are "tipped employees" because there is a tip jar on the counter.
    I have told her both times I heard her talk about this to call the Md Labor Board and ask them how this is legit.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I tip for sit down service at a restaurant. Everywhere I go there seems to be an expectation for a tip on take out. I'm not doing that.

Cheap SOB or agreed?

Worst is a Chinese takeout with owner at the counter. Shove their tip jar. 22% at a Brazilian steakhouse earlier this week. They busted their asses for us.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I always leave a generous tip at the subshop where they make my sub exactly the way I want it. Left $5 on a $15 order last weekend. Do it right and get a reward.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I see a tip jar as a way to pool tips. If tips go in the jar, no one can pocket a tip and hold out on the other workers.

I see many jobs as ones where I tip. And others where I do not tip.

If you are in a job where you don't get tips, and want tips, change jobs. But also you have to accept the much lower wage paid.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a carry out down the road from me and its very quick to use app , pick up and come back to work.
    I tip $1.00
    I get GREAT friendly service from the people at the carry out counter.
    I did this pre covid, covid/now.

I don't tip most other carry out places except the ice cream places (Dumsers)on the boardwalk in OC.

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    I only tip for sit down service. Take out counter, no way. Especially considering how high state minimum wages are in this area.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    `

I now, always tip in cash directly to the server. If you put it on the CC, there is a damn good chance it will get pooled. Your server will only get a percentage of the total tips for the week. That percentage is based on the number of hours they worked. The less hours they work, the less tips they receive. So the $20 tip for the great service, your server may only see $2 bucks.
    The ice cream shop my daughter works for does this and everyone gets screwed on tips.

TIP IN CASH!
    You can do that, but pooled tips help grease the back of the house into running smoothly. What if the food comes out slow because the line cook DGAF because he has no extra incentive to be prompt? The busboys slow their roll clearing and cleaning tables. The dishwasher DGAF if the plates and forks are clean. All of these things impact the server in the FOH and how s/he is perceived by the customer.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I tip at a sit down restaurant that's it. Even then I don't like to tip as much as the wife does. I'd rather just charge X amount for the meal and don't expect tips.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Personally I do not tip for carry out unless I am getting sushi. I believe what happens in many restaurants is the receipt prints from the machine regardless if its in house or carryout and automatically adds the tip line. I always believe, carry out, no tip. Sitting down and served, tip. Hair cut - tip, valet - tip, i.e. anyone performing a personal service you tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom