• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A reminder of my post waay at the beginning of this thread. Handguns can be transported in md unloaded and in an enclosed case or holster to any firing range or gun store, with magazines loaded but not in the gun. Also a reminder that AR pistols are pistols. Food for thought.

Isn't it also legal to transport arms from home to work, and back again? Oddly enough, I was on my way from work to the range, with a brief stopover at home. Unfortunately, my guns were not very accessible. I'm definitely going to give this more thought smokey. :thumbsup:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A reminder of my post waay at the beginning of this thread. Handguns can be transported in md unloaded and in an enclosed case or holster to any firing range or gun store, with magazines loaded but not in the gun. Also a reminder that AR pistols are pistols. Food for thought.

Doesn’t help if they are closed or you are obviously not on a route to a range or gun store or you get searched with your vehicle
    Sitting in a parking lot. Enough stories of guys who got in to traffic accidents actually on the way to or from a range who had to deal with significant heat from officers legally transporting. Expect the 3rd degree. You’ll likely be in an affirmative defense PROVE you were. With that being hard to impossible if “on the way too”. Back from most ranges you could show the range log book to prove you were just there. Gun stores the same. Roll tape, oh there you are or ask an employee.

In Maryland is it a crime to lie to law enforcement officers? Because I’d imagine charges there if they can show you were. Carry a cell phone with you? ASA might subpoena cell phone location records and then you are really screwed.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Isn't it also legal to transport arms from home to work, and back again? Oddly enough, I was on my way from work to the range, with a brief stopover at home. Unfortunately, my guns were not very accessible. I'm definitely going to give this more thought smokey. :thumbsup:

Only if you own the business or have permission from the business owner to carry on the business premises.

Can’t run errands with handguns. You could likely get away with incidental stops like needing to get gas. Probably not get groceries and stop for dinner.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It is illegal to lie to LEO in MD. On the other hand, they may lie to you to attempt to trick you into self incrimination outside of the Miranda Decision. They should not be allowed to lie without the notification.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Only if you own the business or have permission from the business owner to carry on the business premises.

Can’t run errands with handguns. You could likely get away with incidental stops like needing to get gas. Probably not get groceries and stop for dinner.

I do.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    As I sat at a red light the other day, a young tatted-up gentleman in the car in front of me started giving me the evil eye through his side view mirror. Next, he moved on the flashing gang signs to me, again, through his mirror. Then, he degraded to a single digit salute, as before, through his side view mirror, all the while staring straight at me. I wasn't pulled up tight on him. I always leave myself room to get around the vehicle in front of me. I calmly sat there, sunglasses on, and acted if I didn't notice his kind gestures. I never reacted. As the light went green and we proceeded on our merry way, he pulled into the left lane and drove slowly forcing me to go bast him in the right lane(where I had already been driving). Again, I never acknowledged his presents and proceeded on my way home. He seemed to continue to lag back, so once I got good distance, I sped up to the posted speed limit and put distance between us. He never showed up at my house to my relief.

I never wanted a gun in my truck more than that encounter that day. I'm thinking more about the risk -v- rewards of keeping a rifle in my truck. At least for the trip to and from work.

A pistol grip shotgun fits in the jack storage compartment below the rear seat of an F150. It’s not readily accessible but it’s there.
    Some would say if you can’t grab it when you need it, it’s useless and some would say a decidedly conscience effort to access your firearm forces you to consider the ramifications and alternatives to lethal force.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I guess the sticky wicket is the "magazine or chamber" portion. Does that mean integral magazine or detached magazine? The statute is a bit foggy there.

Problem with that one is if you keep an empty magazine in the gun to clearly satisfy "magazine or chamber" while having other loaded magazines in the vehicle, someone may get more displeased about it vs if the mag well is empty.

ETA: A necro from 2017, holy moly.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Problem with that one is if you keep an empty magazine in the gun to clearly satisfy "magazine or chamber" while having other loaded magazines in the vehicle, someone may get more displeased about it vs if the mag well is empty.

ETA: A necro from 2017, holy moly.

They can be as displeased as they want but there is no law against having a loaded magazine in your vehicle as long as it’s not in the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    So--- I've read the entire thread an didn't see this question come up. I've wondered about this for awhile and can't recall ever reading about it here on the forums.

Question: Can a wear and carry permit holder transport or carry more than one loaded handgun/AR pistol/SBR in a vehicle or on his/her person at a time?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So--- I've read the entire thread an didn't see this question come up. I've wondered about this for awhile and can't recall ever reading about it here on the forums.

Question: Can a wear and carry permit holder transport or carry more than one loaded handgun/AR pistol/SBR in a vehicle or on his/her person at a time?

I have seen this question. Unfortunately, I can't recall the answer. Common sense would dictate there is no reason this would be prohibited, but this is Merry Land.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

The law is silent on number thereof. On your person or in the car is covered by your permit.

Dodgy issue: what happens when you leave the vehicle, and where, etc. Endless variables mean opinion/interpretation chaos on that front, if you’re leaving one behind while you, say, walk into the grocery store while carrying the other. I may or may not have decided I don’t much care what the answer to that is.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville

I tried to get an answer on this as well, thread. Good Luck

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's not explicitly addressed in Maryland Law .

Depending upon circumstances , and creativity of an ASA , they could conceivably try to articulate something more generalised like hazardous nuisance or reckless endangerment .

Saberwalk

MDS Supporter
    Aug 13, 2020
    Laytonsville, MD
    Yep, that is definitely one of Montgomery County's ordinances. I went and looked it up before I saw this post. Have to wonder what "readily available" means. Can I travel with a long gun in the trunk, or is that readily available.

Also, as already pointed out, this might be a preemption issue, but somebody is going to have to bring that up AFTER they get charged with this crime.

So, for those that have asked whether it is legal to carry a trunk gun in Maryland, it looks like things might be a little dicey in Montgomery County.

It just keeps getting better and better, and more and more confusing.
    Sorry for reviving this thread but I am a new MOCO W&C permit holder and have not seen any other discussion directly on point about MOCO 57-10. I read the entire chapter and cannot make sense of 57-10 unless the undefined term "explosive ammunition" and "lawful mission" have a specific meaning.

The provision seems to prohibit open or concealed carry of a weapon designed to use "explosive ammunition" except for the indicated exemptions which do not include the wear and carry permit.

In contrast, 57-11 prohibits possession of a firearm and ammunition within 100 yards of a place of public assembly but does not apply to: "apply to the possession of a handgun by a person who has received a permit to carry the handgun under State law." How are these two provisions reconciled or is it too much to expect sense here.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Sorry for reviving this thread but I am a new MOCO W&C permit holder and have not seen any other discussion directly on point about MOCO 57-10. I read the entire chapter and cannot make sense of 57-10 unless the undefined term "explosive ammunition" and "lawful mission" have a specific meaning.

The provision seems to prohibit open or concealed carry of a weapon designed to use "explosive ammunition" except for the indicated exemptions which do not include the wear and carry permit.

In contrast, 57-11 prohibits possession of a firearm and ammunition within 100 yards of a place of public assembly but does not apply to: "apply to the possession of a handgun by a person who has received a permit to carry the handgun under State law." How are these two provisions reconciled or is it too much to expect sense here.
    Explosive ammunition is just that. Sometimes they are called dum-dum rounds.

The projectile explodes upon impact.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    A dum dum is a hollow point, not an explosive round

It does not explode. It expands

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The DNR statute prohibits any loaded long gun carry in a vehicle.

MD 4-209 gives MD preemption over local firearm law

An unloaded rifle in a vehicle is legal in MD

There is no requirement for casing it like a handgun

I can put my silencer equipped SBR on my back seat with my Magpul 60 round drum next to it. Perfectly legal.

IMO a normal SD round is not “explosive” by its definition including hollow points

IANAL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom