• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 26, 2016
    Hi friends - first time poster - long time listener.

Was curious if anyone had first hand experience with an optic on their Glock 40 MOS? Was looking at Trijicon RMR or Leopuld Deltapoint. Primarily going to use this for hunting (hogs + deer). Not planning on shooting anything past 100 yards and the areas I hunt are more like 50 yard shots. I've got a Leopuld FX on my current deer/hog rifle and love the quality of the glass - but am open if anyone has experience with another manufacturer.

Thanks!

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Been using a Burris fast fire 3 on mine for the last few years, but recently picked up a holosun to give a try since it has a lot more features and is a reflex site so its a bit clearer to my eyes.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I have a G40 MOS as well and I’ve been procrastinating. Partly because I spend money on other “priorities” and partly because of the mounting options. I do know that at some point, I’m getting a Trijicon SRO for mine. I just ordered an FCD mounting plate and also want to try a CHPWS plate too. But more to your question, for my use of the pistol (target, hunting, plinking) I think the SRO is a great quality optic. I’m sure there are other budget optics depending on what you want to spend as well as your intended use. But I usually lean toward the higher end stuff.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    Check out Sage Dynamics torture tests on optics. Here is one on the RMR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzpJBrLU5U The RMR withstood multiple drops onto concrete with only cosmetic damage and never stopped working. The SRO, while offering a much bigger sight window, was shattered and non-op after the first drop. SRO might be abetter choice for comps, but maybe not so much if you need to depend on it. YMMV

454shooter

LARGE Caliber
    Jun 20, 2020
    Harford County
    I will second the CHPWS plate for any Glock MOS mount. I have one on my G17 and the quality is awesome. I am running a holosun 507C.

I am happy with the setup for the money spent.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Check out Sage Dynamics torture tests on optics. Here is one on the RMR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzpJBrLU5U The RMR withstood multiple drops onto concrete with only cosmetic damage and never stopped working. The SRO, while offering a much bigger sight window, was shattered and non-op after the first drop. SRO might be abetter choice for comps, but maybe not so much if you need to depend on it. YMMV

Since you brought up Sage Dynamics, I want to point out the they do a video on the SRO. And it is said several times, to the point of being comical, that the SRO is not for duty use. I wouldn’t say that you may not be able to depend on it, but it certainly isn’t as rugged as the RMR. That’s why I recommended it based on intended use. But I certainly wouldn’t discount it as a viable optic. But I couldn’t imagine the G40 being used in a “duty capacity” either. I see the G40/SRO combo more than adequate as a woods gun setup or competition, target, plinking setup or even HD if necessary. There are certainly better optics, even on the budget end of the spectrum, for a duty use type optic.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have a few red dots and use the DeltaPoint on my G34 which is I believe similar in size to the G40. I cannot compare it to the RMR but it is very solidly built. The frame which houses the glass is two layers thick. There is an inner frame which holds the lens and then a thicker outer frame which I believe is intended to absorb impacts. I’ve got some nicks on mine but It’s never been dropped on concrete.

I also have a Vortex Venom which was about 40% less expensive than the DP and it looks like it’s about 40% less rugged. The aluminum frame which holds the lens is about much thinner. While this allows for a wider sight picture I think it’s obviously less durable.

From a sight standpoint they are both pretty good and get the job done. Like others have mentioned if this is just going to be something you use 5-10 times a year then you may want to save money and go with the lighter duty optic.

Let us know which direction you end up going and take a minute to introduce your self in the new member introduction page.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    I was on the fence with the RMR and Deltapoint for a M&P CORE. The 5 year warranty from Trijicon versus the Lifetime from Leupold did it for me.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I have an RM09 on mine. The 1 MOA dot doesn’t obscure much and is easy to use for good overs and hold unders. I haven’t been able to shoot it past 50yd yet though.

ah4XQBT.jpg

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    Since you brought up Sage Dynamics, I want to point out the they do a video on the SRO. And it is said several times, to the point of being comical, that the SRO is not for duty use. I wouldn’t say that you may not be able to depend on it, but it certainly isn’t as rugged as the RMR. That’s why I recommended it based on intended use. But I certainly wouldn’t discount it as a viable optic. But I couldn’t imagine the G40 being used in a “duty capacity” either. I see the G40/SRO combo more than adequate as a woods gun setup or competition, target, plinking setup or even HD if necessary. There are certainly better optics, even on the budget end of the spectrum, for a duty use type optic.

Yes, Sage Dynamics does video tests of many different optics and those videos are very informative. As far as being able to depend on it, if it shatters on one drop test than it might not be something to depend on.

I agree with you that it is an option for Comps, target and plinking. I do not see it as being a desirable option for home defense. Since it is the same price or more than an RMR that clearly takes it out as a budget price point option. It is an optic marketed for a specific use, and as long as one intends to keep it in it's lane I believe it is worth looking into. Outside of that, maybe not.

I understand that the gun you have is better than no gun at all, but I would not put HD as a viable use for that optic. For that use Irons may be a better option than an SRO, but that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.

That being said, I would not hesitate to get an SRO for a fun gun. Large window makes for a quicker presentation, and it is a Trijicon.

And again, YMMV

Last edited:
    Mar 26, 2016
    Thanks Y'all!

Wound up going with the Deltapoint - I think the price had dropped a good bit since the last time I checked and it was $399 on Midway. Thanks for the dope on mounting plates - saw 1-2 videos on that - seems like most are sorted out for Trijicon & Holosun - Hopefully I can get a few rounds in before the stock plate cracks

Once the people's republic of MD adjudicates me to not been disqualified - I'll post some pictures.

Mar 26, 2016
    Leopuld DPP 6MOA

Well - finally got a second trip the range to zero the optic. Overall fairly happy with the 25 yard group - need to work tightening it up - but I think with some refinement - I'd be comfortable taking a shot out to 50 yards this fall. If there was one item I would change it would be the dot size - I think I'd rather have a 3MOA dot vs a 6 - but I'll need to send a few hundred more rounds down range and get some actual hunting time with it before I stand firm on it.

Please excuse if the image does not come through - working this one from my phone.

Attachments

• 6D8D655D-D6AC-4B83-BA3C-251F44673A7B.jpg
      6D8D655D-D6AC-4B83-BA3C-251F44673A7B.jpg
      94.8 KB · Views: 162
    Mar 26, 2016
    Got on a hog

The space cannon did not disappoint on a trip to Tioga last week. Buffalo Bore 180 JHP, through the shoulder and both lungs at about 20 yards.

Attachments

• B0DE0096-992E-4BFB-B1A7-669EAD47A55B.jpg
      B0DE0096-992E-4BFB-B1A7-669EAD47A55B.jpg
      201.7 KB · Views: 210

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads