• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firestorm89

Dec 30, 2012
    The gun store said that paperwork is starting to get quicker, not back to 7 days, but now averaging 3 weeks..

My last set of paperwork was submitted on Dec 26th, and cam back on Jan 21st, 26 days (17 business days). Last Friday I submitted another set, will post the return date.

wesser1

Dec 19, 2012
    Havre de Grace
    Submitted my last paperwork on 1/10 and got my response back on 1/31, exactly 3 weeks. One of the guys that was working there said he submitted his paperwork the day before me and still hasn't heard back. So it seems like it depends on varying factors. Mine was an AR-15 and I think he said his was a handgun so that might be a factor.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    Maybe this will help.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Maryland Firearm Dealers,

Thank you for the support and understanding you have graciously given to us over the last couple of months. It is truly a pleasure to have such a great working relationship with you.

I am confident everyone understands the recent increase in regulated firearms sales. We are seeing historical numbers across the country. Please know that the Licensing Division is working around the clock to conduct background checks and process your applications. The support of the current administration has allowed us to triple our resources for processing. We have also recently purchased new and updated equipment that is expected to be installed very soon.

We have received many e-mails and calls from dealers, requesting to find out the status of applications. I know many of the e-mails are necessary to support your business and I do not discourage you from continuing to send your requests. However, understand this compounds the issues and contributes to the delays. We know there have been problems with faxes returned. Because of the need for additional employees, we are staffing the Division with people who are still being trained.

As of today, Monday, January 28, 2013, we are processing applications that were received on January the 9th. This means any application you submit may likely have a wait time of up to 20 days. We are working diligently to correct this issue and return the processing time back to 7 days. I refuse to allow any delay in a firearm sale/transfer that is not absolutely necessary. I appreciate your patience as I too share your frustration.

I am hopeful that the Licensing Division will soon receive much deserved attention and funding that will allow us to develop a system to efficiently process any application within a reasonable time period.

One again, I thank you.

Captain Jack McCauley
    Commander, Licensing Division
    Department of Maryland State Police
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Is there a difference in turnaround time if you are versus are not a designated collector? The workup that the state did to grant collector's status may provide a head start on their not-disapproved process.

Loader

Jan 5, 2013
    Is there a difference in turnaround time if you are versus are not a designated collector? The workup that the state did to grant collector's status may provide a head start on their not-disapproved process.

Dunno. There was some speculation that first purchase may take longer than a repeat buyer. I filed for Designated Collector two days before I purchased and sent that paperwork in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom