• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    I purchased a receiver from Tactical Inovations. I arranged it to go to a local FFL here in southern Maryland. When I went to fill out the paper work I was informed that I had to pay $21.00 tax for the receiver I purchased on the internet in another state. Is that legal? This was my first internet purchase. Please comment and let me know.

I want to wait untill I get my receiver then I will post who it was. Believe me I will let everyone who sees this thread know who it is. let me say there is a reason why this thread is in the southern maryland category.

When I started this thread I just wanted to know if it was common practice or what the legalities were. I had no intentions of bashing AG&A. After seeing what Mark has gone through with the comptroller I don't blame him for charging the tax. I am sure nobody wants to get audited. After Mark posted the letter from Comptroller I did some research. I'm putting the letter on this post and I am going to try and explain what I've learned.

The letter reads, I understand your confusion. I should have explained the definition of a vendor. As I explained to you previously you are acting as the vendor's agent bydelivering his goods to the buyer in Maryland. You are acting as the vendor's agent whether or not it was your intent to do so. The out-of-state seller is eaqually responsible for the tax. If the vendor is located in Maryland we would pursue the Maryland vendor. If the vendor is not located in Maryland, but his agent is, we pursue the agent. The reason 11-701 was enacted with its wording is to make sure that the tax is legally paid for goods transferred in Maryland by out-of-state vendors. The definition of the vendor is defined in Maryland Tax General Article- Section 11-101(o). You clearly meet that definition.

I encourge everyone to google Bella Hess V Illinois and Quill V N. Dakota. I am not a lawyer but i think its very clear how the Supreme Court ruled in both cases. First you have the Interstate Commerce clause and the Due Process Clause. In Bella Hess case it was ruled that if the only connection between the customer and the seller is by mail and common carrier then the state has no right to inforce a company to pay tax to the state where the items will be shipped to. In the letter the comptroller states that the out -of -state seller is equally responsible for the tax. He does not meet the minimum requirement. He would have to have a physical presence. I don't see how the FFL is acting as an agent because the only connection between them is through E-mail and a common carrier delivering the product. Ther is no physical connection. Since I purchased the item it belongs to me and not the seller.

With the Commerce Clause Congress controls commerce both foreign and between the states. They ruled that if each state made companies to withhold taxes that it would be such a burdon that it would interupt the free flow of goods between the states. the commerce clause also has a requirement that a company would have to have a substantial economic presence to meet "a Constitutionally sufficient nexus to justify the imposition to collect the use tax". It is obvious that in the case of a couple guns from a company doesn't meet the requirement not even close.

The United State Senate will probably pass a bill very soon that will allow states to require internet companies to pay tax for goods entering into their state. The sufficient nexus is set at $1,000,000 annually. I hope this helps and I should have done the research to start with. It is my opinion that it's the buyers responsibility to pay the tax.

Last edited:

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    You aren't purchasing from your local FFL, so no, they can't tax you. Do what you've gotta do to get your lower, then let them know that the $21 cost them your business.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    This is only the second time that I have heard this happening and I would almost bet that it is the same FFL in both cases.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Hell no that ain't right. Please name and shame the ffl. That's a dirty practice and sadly this isn't the first time I've heard of it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It is uncommon but completely legal. MD's tax is "Sales and USE" Legally we are supposed to pay sales tax on everything we buy to USE in MD, whether we buy it in MD or not. It is just not commonly collected.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hell no that ain't right. Please name and shame the ffl. That's a dirty practice and sadly this isn't the first time I've heard of it.

I've heard the same as well. I'm guessing the guy is in SOMD within 15 miles of PAX and I'll leave it at that.

DING-DING-DING!

IIRC it is the same FFL in Southern Maryland that handled the Spikes Tactical AR lowers group buy last year.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    It is uncommon but completely legal. MD's tax is "Sales and USE" Legally we are supposed to pay sales tax on everything we buy to USE in MD, whether we buy it in MD or not. It is just not commonly collected.

How can MD force sales tax payment on an item bought and paid for out of state, online, over the phone, or out of state in person??? Maybe on the MD FFL service fee, but not on the price of an item purchased out of state. Sounds like a rip OFF. Someone name FFL's doing this, as I and others would like to avoid those preditors...:tdown:

Fred

Last edited:

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    I assuming it's the same dealer whose regulated transfer fee started at $40 when I asked him to fax his FFL paperwork and then became $100 + Tax when I came back to fill out the paperwork. Maybe he was mad I didn't buy his $350 DPMS stripped lower at the counter. But what could I do. Needless to say picking it up will be the last time I stop in there.

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Sad but true. But I agree MD probably never saw that money.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's BS, he has no right to charge you tax when he is not the seller, if he doesn't make it right, out the shop and let him figure if public shame for his practices are worth $21. I have no idea why people insist on protecting crooked shops, or keeping their mouth shut when they get ripped off, you have a right to speak your mind and share your experience, the whole "word of mouth" thing, the fear it seems some have of reprocussions from the con-artists in the industry has always baffled me.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    If you have a suspicion that the dealer is pocketing the tax you could follow up with the state. I was under the impression that it was the buyer's responsibility to pay the "use tax" on their yearly tax filing...not the dealer.

Post the shop so others can make an informed decision on whether to transfer there.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Sales tax can only be charged by a seller. The seller must also have a sales tax account with the state of Maryland. If you're buying online from someone who does not collect MD sales tax, the local FFL cannot since he is nt the seller. It is, however, your responsibility to pay 6% use tax. Turn the shop in to the state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom