• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    I have a plain jane Colt 1991A1 Series 80 that I've had for many years and I would like to swap out the plastic trigger with a metal trigger. I'm no gunsmith by any stretch...how difficult is this replacement to do? Any suggestions on any particular trigger to consider? Suggestions/tips would be appreciated...thanks..s

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I have a plain jane Colt 1991A1 Series 80 that I've had for many years and I would like to swap out the plastic trigger with a metal trigger. I'm no gunsmith by any stretch...how difficult is this replacement to do? Any suggestions on any particular trigger to consider? Suggestions/tips would be appreciated...thanks..s

Hand it off to someone who knows the ins and outs of 1911s.

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    It's not hard. If you need help PM me and I'll walk you through it. I think the standard 1911 has 49 parts the 80 series adds 3 or 4 more. Worst case bring it up in a bag.

Walt

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Not only fitting to install it in the frame of the pistol, you also need to check/adjust pretravel, half cock engagement, over travel and proper function of the Series 80 lockwork. Ensuring there is no hammer follow when dropping the slide on a dummy/snap cap is also a necessary safety check.

When proving the pistol after trigger fitting and installing, test fire with only two rounds in a mag a few times to prevent mishaps in the event of hammer follow.

Wilson, Harrison, Nowlin and several other major brands are all good. Grieders have been know to have a little long trigger bow which would effect pretravel and half cock.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Simply replacing a trigger isn't a "trigger job", right? I didn't think simply swapping out a flat, plain trigger out with one that is skeletonized, etc.. doesn't involve expert adjustment, does it?

You just want to take an old plain trigger out and put something neat in? Not lighten up pull and stuff like that?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    John Carduner (trikshot) or Scott's, either one can do a trigger upgrade and do it professionally.

Talk to them.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    1911 triggers can be tricky. A slight change in geometry/ dimensions may alter how your gun operates. Please have a competent gunsmith do this for you. Your safety and that of others is worth much more than a few dollars saved. Many parts need fitting and anything concerning the fire control group( safety ) must be done by someone experienced in this field.

Not to long ago.. A fatal accident resulted from s similar diy upgrade. The gun went full auto and resulted in a runaway situation. 230 grain slug under the chin.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "Over-travel adjustment is up to you, or you may just not install screw to make it simpler...."

Not using that screw (or improper adjustment) on some guns could cause hammer follow. What is typically done by the lug just underneath the grip safety blocking arm is fine tuned with the overtravel screw. Get a short bow, over ground or under sized lug, even tolerance stack could lead to hammer follow.

As indicated someone familiar with the 1911 trigger should perform or at least check the work before firing.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Am I allowed to resurrect a 2014 thread four years later? Because ... the OP's plight is mine, too. I've got a lightly used 1991A1 that shoots just fine. But damn if that plastic trigger doesn't just give me hives. It's irrational, but it nags at me. More than it should.

I don't want to try this myself, and I don't want to drive all over the state to pursue just the right 1911 person if this is something a nearby LGS's smith (near to me would be Engage, or Atlantic for example) should be trusted to handle without a worry. Any guidance, anyone? Should I just suck it up and stick with the stock trigger? And if I DO change it out, should I let the LGS order the part, or choose something specific and bring it with me when I drop off the patient?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Your choice on whether to buy yourself or have them order it.

Swapping a trigger on a 1911 is not a huge deal. Yes, a couple of things need to be checked.

You can probably find an online tutorial on how to do it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The area of concern isn’t getting the trigger fit to the gun. The issue is if the dimensions cause other lockwork related changes.

I see you are in Montgomery County. Go to a steel or pin match at Monocacy pistol club. I am sure someone there will know of a local who can do the trigger fit.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Thanks for the input, both. Beyond relieving myself of the waking aesthetic nightmare that is that plastic trigger, top concern is reliability/safety. Will definitely hunt down a pro.

Have never been to a pin match. Guess I need to go spectate so I can see what’s involved. Thx!

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Once upon a time, I replaced a trigger myself . Had no issues , BUT I did know what to check on it , and if I ran into issues, I would have put back in the OEM trigger .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Once upon a time, I replaced a trigger myself . Had no issues , BUT I did know what to check on it , and if I ran into issues, I would have put back in the OEM trigger .

This.

Tutorials online can help with what to check.

MOST quality triggers are pretty much drop in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom