• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I took my TiRant out for the second time this weekend.

I have a 1/2x28 9mm piston in it and had it on my M&P 9L that has a storm lake threaded barrel on it. Same gun I had it on last time I shot it, though I only shot it a few times last time and let friends shoot it.

The first few shots were fine. Then it was hitting 6" low at 20 feet. It also was cycling a little funny. So, I stopped shooting it. When I got home, I notice that there was rattling from inside the suppressor. I shook out a few tiny bits of copper jacket. I looked through it and could not see any damage etc.

It's pretty obvious that the bullet was touching something inside the suppressor.

I'll call AAC in a little while when I can pull away from work for a phone call.

Thoughts on things I should check?

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    1. You said "1/2x28 9mm piston." If you're using a booster from a TiRant 9, that's your problem right there.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/Ti-RANT-45-Piston-_p_585.html

2. What kind of ammo are you using? Reloads? I've heard people having a lot of problems with shedding jackets when using plated bullets...something you wouldn't see without a suppressor.

ETA: If you were using the right piston, was it lubricated? It almost sounds like the piston became "stuck" in the compressed position?

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I was using the Tirant 45 9mm piston.
    http://www.advanced-armament.com/Ti-RANT-45-Piston-_p_585.html

I was shooting 145gr commercially reloaded ammo. Not factory loaded but not real handloads. I can try some factory stuff.
    I will pull it apart and see if the booster is moving freely. How would you check that before taking it apart so I don't free it up taking it apart?

With the can mounted, you should be able to pull it out and rotate it in orientation - this is the POI adjustment feature mentioned in the manual. Really...you should only need to make sure the booster is clean and the o-ring properly lubricated.

What was your accuracy with the ammo without the can? What are the chances the reloader is using plated bullets?

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    https://www.jackrossammo.com/9mm-147-gr-Competition-Ammo-Case-of-1000.html

This is the ammo that I have been shooting for over a year. I emailed asking if they were plated bullets. Accuracy has always been very consistent with them and the same gun with the same rounds has performed nearly flawlessly for over 7k of competition shooting.
    Plated bullets through a suppressor seems to be one of those "9mm or .45" questions on the interweb.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    My knee jerk reaction is to blame the ammo. I used to shoot "refurbs" and just thought they were filthy. Now that I run cans I never do. At a minimum I'd run to bass pro and grab a box of "new" 9's, even if they're supers, and run them before calling anybody or stressing.

I'd disassemble it and check the baffles. That's easily done. (Assuming you didn't.)

Also, fwiw, I had a federal tactical bonded 62 gr .223 shed bits of jacket in a can sometimes. As best I can tell it didn't break anything bad enough to notice, but it did happen.

Finally, my tirant definitely shifts poi more than a rifle can. Not 6" at 20' though.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Wow, six inches! Either their is something really wrong with the projectile or you're having minor baffle strikes. Use different ammo for a while and see if it happens again. That's definitely not normal. Also make sure the piston spring is not too loose or somehow over compressed. Send it back to AAC if you have doubts. Major baffles strikes/hits = very bad sad day.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I have some factory ammo laying around. I'll pull it apart as soon as I can.

Shame. I have thousands of rounds of this stuff and it's my normal ammo.

Immersion

You have that power too
    Oct 10, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Sounds like an ammo issue to me.

I never trust reloads through a suppressor.

Would that also apply to using a can on a rifle? Just curious because I'm waiting on a Form 4 to clear on a Surefire. Guess I may have to avoid reloads in the future if this holds true for rifles as well.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Why no reloads? I can and have reloaded ammo that is much better in terms of accuracy and consistency than many factory ammo. I agree if you are loading hand cast lead bullets for a suppressor but I can't understand why a factory jacketed boolit would be sub-standard hand reloaded compared to a factory load.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I understand now that the plated bullet choice is not ideal for this and don't plan on shooting it through my suppressors in the future. But aside from that, at what point is a factory reload just as good? I know that the scale of the operations is off, but I have heard more about issues with bad Remington ammo than any reload from Jack Ross or Freedom etc.
    It's not like these are some basement handloads.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Understood.
    And I'm not arguing with your opinion or advice but this doesn't add anything to the conversation. I'm inquisitive as to the "why" you have formed this opinion, which is a popular one.
    My question is still why? Are you talking about any reloaded ammo or actual basement/friend/buddy handloads. What in particular makes the trust in quality control higher for Remington/PMC higher than a shop that has a smaller but similarly mechanized reloading outfit that reuses brass.
    Where is the line with you personally? Blazer? Wolf?

Is the brass the issue? Or do you really feel that the QC of the reloading operations is just flat out lower? Or is it the quality of the components that come into question because reloading outfits are trying to undercut big box prices? I know that the 147gr stuff I have been shooting came in at nearly the cost of PMC ammo and shoots cleaner than white box stuff for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom