• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    A local FFL has a few of these in stock and I'm considering picking one up. Does anyone have any experience with them to help me make up my mind?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    It's an AK made in Russia. Only downside is that if you're in MD, its not legal anymore to convert them to standard AK format.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They don't take AK mags without a feed ramp, and installing that feed ramp is now problematic. IMHO, the time has passed for them.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As others have said, it's a genuine Russian-made AK, sporterized to get around import limitations. Back when Arsenal was still importing them, these were the basis for the SGL line of AKs they sold.

Great guns but badly in need of converting (moving the trigger forward and adding a bullet guide). All easy to do, but such mods would now be illegal to perform in our wonderful Free State.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    They are great rifles.

I'd get one. Only down side is that until you leave the state you can't convert it to pistol grip and to take regular double stack magazines.

Still a great rifle, some of the most accurate chrome lined AKs out there.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    One of my favorite rifles.

Other then a bullet guide I left mine alone. Something fun about the rifle just the way it is. If I wanted an AK I would have bought one.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    They are great rifles. My dad has them in 308, 7.62x39, and 223 (I sold him mine when I needed money). I like the spotter stock. My dad won't shoot other aks anymore as the stock on standard aks hit him weird. I won't buy one because the price has gone up since we bought them. Buy one if you can.

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    As others have said, it's a genuine Russian-made AK, sporterized to get around import limitations. Back when Arsenal was still importing them, these were the basis for the SGL line of AKs they sold.

Great guns but badly in need of converting (moving the trigger forward and adding a bullet guide). All easy to do, but such mods would now be illegal to perform in our wonderful Free State.

Anyone know why Arsenal stopped making the SGL series?

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Thanks for the input. The early responses had me thinking "no" then the later ones turned me around. Now I'm back where I started. What to do, what to do?

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Anyone know why Arsenal stopped making the SGL series?

The Saiga Legion guns started being imported by FIME instead, and then were banned from importation. Same reason VEPRs are so scarce now.

FIME is owned by Arsenal Inc./KVAR they are/were one in the same company. I don't know who it was but someone was upset that Arsenal Inc., being backed by a Bulgarian arms company, was converting Russian guns so to get around it they made a "new" company to do the conversions.

Stamped SLR's which were cheaper than the SGL's even when they were importable which also had some nicer features compared to the SGL. I think it had to do with the whole "Russian appeal" that stopped stamped Bulgarian guns coming in great waves until now.

However though there is a rumor on the grapevine that VEPR's for some reason are not covered by the ban and that they are still importable. Do not know how it is possible but apparently they will still be coming in imported by Wolf.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2426874&postcount=35

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom