• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I love tools. I want a mill. Not particularly for gun work, but it will see some use for that.

Guys with small mills, did you get a tilting head? Not? Would you get the same setup again.

The appeal of easy angle cuts is appealing. Can you accomplish most things with shimming and be much happier with the firmer column?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have some bigger mills. Stiffer column is better 99.5% of time. you can get angle blocks or a sine bar to fixture the work at an angle the occasional times you need it. Don't know if I ever tilted the head on my old Bridgeport. Was a pain to tram back in. None of my current ones tilt and I don't miss it.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have some bigger mills. Stiffer column is better 99.5% of time. you can get angle blocks or a sine bar to fixture the work at an angle the occasional times you need it. Don't know if I ever tilted the head on my old Bridgeport. Was a pain to tram back in. None of my current ones tilt and I don't miss it.
    This... ^^^ to get a head/table trued back up is a pain, much easier to just make/use angle blocks, that is always how I've done it on a Bridgeport.

accokeek

MDS Supporter
    Mar 4, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Small mills

I wish you luck with a budget allocation. Whether you get it or not, you might want to take a look at Precision Mathews, PM-932 PDF mill. Just bought one and they are clearly in the top tier of small mills (not a knee mill) and there is a fairly active support community at <http://www.hobby-machinist.com/>. Enjoy

d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    This mill you have, what makes it any different than a drill press other than the cross slide table that it has??

Rigidity and a spindle designed to take the lateral forces involved in milling operations.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Rigidity and a spindle designed to take the lateral forces involved in milling operations.
    Exactly.

Rigidity:
    Even on my cheap machine, the quill diameter is larger and much more rigid than a drill press.
    ETA: The rigidity of a mill translates directly into surface finish quality and precision of cuts.

I cannot tell you the brand name. I have it apart in storage at the moment, but it is a cheap Taiwanese unit, similar to the Grizzly of similar size. New prices on a "benchtop" mill like this are around $1,200-$1,400. You'll also want to steel stand for a couple hundred more.

Mine has an optional (sorta) DRO (digital readout) on the table, allowing me to see the true table position without regard for gear lash in the table adjustment. As habit, I always approach my target value from the same direction, but the difference in convenience and accuracy between using a DRO and counting handwheel turns and increments is HUGE.

The Mitsubishi DRO on the table is about $1,000, and I also have a small DRO for vertical travel on the quill, but those single axis/simple readout units are much cheaper.

You will spend hundreds more in measuring tools, clamps and other fixtures, not to mention cutters of a bazillion sizes.configurations. I have more money in cutters than I do in the mill, and probably that much more in measuring tools.

Check out the MSC catalog for inspiration, but I'd probably buy a Grizzly if I needed one like the one I have.

There is also a used machinery supply company in Baltimore that bought one of my lathes when I moved, and I used to go up there and drool on the Bridgeports. http://www.normanmachinetool.com

Last edited:

d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    There is also a used machinery supply company in Baltimore that bought one of my lathes when I moved, and I used to go up there and drool on the Bridgeports. http://www.normanmachinetool.com

Cool link, I didn't know this place was up there! Do they have normal business hours to go inspect the machines? I'm in the market for an engine lathe, maybe will go check them out.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Cool link, I didn't know this place was up there! Do they have normal business hours to go inspect the machines? I'm in the market for an engine lathe, maybe will go check them out.
    Yes, they have all sorts of machinery and parts on display in their attached warehouse. Call them before you head up there, make sure no special arrangements are needed.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Norman is way overpriced for hobbyists. What size lathe are you looking for? I know a couple folks w/ 'extras':)

d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    Norman is way overpriced for hobbyists. What size lathe are you looking for? I know a couple folks w/ 'extras':)

10-13" machine, 240/3PH is fine. Worried about wear more than age or appearance. With tooling is obviously a plus. Feel free to PM with anything you know about, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom