Question for you Glock Armorers out there...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    Specifically, can you replace the barrel of a Gen 3 G17 with a barrel from a Gen 4 Glock 17? (OEM glock barrel, not KKM, LW, etc). I've searched the Internet but as usual there is conflicting advice. Tks. Snakep

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Specifically, can you replace the barrel of a Gen 3 G17 with a barrel from a Gen 4 Glock 17? (OEM glock barrel, not KKM, LW, etc). I've searched the Internet but as usual there is conflicting advice. Tks. Snakep

From what I recall...... they are the same.

Recoil Spring Assembly and the RSA 'hole' in the slide is the biggest change in the slide assembly.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I just bought an all original 2 pin Gen 2 G19 with a serial that dates it late 1989. According to what I've read, it need a 6 part upgrade. Glock customer service said I need a certified Glock Armorer to order the parts. Anyone out there able to order them for me?

Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I just bought an all original 2 pin Gen 2 G19 with a serial that dates it late 1989. According to what I've read, it need a 6 part upgrade. Glock customer service said I need a certified Glock Armorer to order the parts. Anyone out there able to order them for me?

Thanks.

If I recall correctly... Sending the pistol back to Glock will result in all upgrades being satisfied by them at the factory. Then they send it back to you in prime condition. At least that is what I was told by a Glock Armorer several years ago. :shrug: I don't know what the cost would be but I think it's worth checking into.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    No. The recoil lug on the barrel is cut differently for the different recoil assemblies. Unless they changed that.

The barrel may work but it will not be noce to the recoil assembly.

No, I'm not a Glock armorer though.

Gen 4's are completely different.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    If I recall correctly... Sending the pistol back to Glock will result in all upgrades being satisfied by them at the factory. Then they send it back to you in prime condition. At least that is what I was told by a Glock Armorer several years ago. :shrug: I don't know what the cost would be but I think it's worth checking into.
    They'd probably change out the extractor and spring loaded bearong, which I would want to keep in the gun. Ill likely just have an armorer order the parts. Thanks!

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    If I remember correctly, one of the mods here is a glock armorer. Can't remember which one but they may have some insight as well.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    While others are checking in more definitive directions:

"No. The recoil lug on the barrel is cut differently for the different recoil assemblies. Unless they changed that.

The barrel may work but it will not be noce to the recoil assembly."

Could the recoil assembly be changed with the barrel?

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I am a Glock Advanced Armorer, but I will have to consult my parts list when I get home. To be honest, this isn't something we covered in the courses specifically. As far as upgrades, there are many parts that have been upgraded through the Generations 1-4, and an armorer is supposed to upgrade those parts when going through a gun. The parts are relatively inexpensive, so not a big deal cost wise.

Update- I checked my parts list. There is no differentiation between Gen 3 and 4 G17 barrels.

snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    Thanks Kevp. I've looked at the barrels side by side and cannot see a discernable difference. Not to say there is not one, but both barrels look the same, even the notch where the RSA goes....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom