• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    A question for you S&W guys...generally speaking, would a S&W Model 19-5 produced for the DoS Diplomatic Security Service command a premium over a similar condition "plane jane" Model 19-5? Are the DSS Model 19's considered "rare"? tks. s

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I don't know if there's a "right" answer on this. It seems that some prefer the traditional bluing on the standard gun over the darker, matte DSS finish. OTOH, the DSS guns are less common and some buyers will pay a premium. It's probably a wash, but I'd personally pay 10% more for a DSS model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I see now that is probably a 2.5 inch barrel and would have what is described as a darker Semi-matte finish. Are the first three digits AYYxxxx ?

The 19-5 did not have a pinned barrel and only some 19-5 models came with recessed cylinders. Is yours recessed? That's a plus for collector value. If not pinned & recessed there is a whole segment of the collectors market that drops out.

As Snally said, it probably comes down to a personal attachment to the finish and the cool factor for the history. But it is not likely to be a super-sought-after gun in a future collector market.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's worth what someone is willing to pay. You might only get a premium from somebody obsessed with having one since nothing besides the serial number identifies it as DSS. The average collector might be turned off by the govt-issue Pachmayr grips and matte finish, assuming that somebody lost the original grips and/or refinished it.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I see now that is probably a 2.5 inch barrel and would have what is described as a darker Semi-matte finish. Are the first three digits AYYxxxx ?

The 19-5 did not have a pinned barrel and only some 19-5 models came with recessed cylinders. Is yours recessed? That's a plus for collector value. If not pinned & recessed there is a whole segment of the collectors market that drops out.

As Snally said, it probably comes down to a personal attachment to the finish and the cool factor for the history. But it is not likely to be a super-sought-after gun in a future collector market.

^^^Well said.

A pinned/recessed mdl 19 has a higher value than a non-P/R mdl 19.

IMNSHO, the later 'matte' finish on 'the last of the mdl 19' revolvers just detracts from the beauty of this fine revolver.

What were they thinking???????????!!!!!!!!!!???????????? :mad54::mad54::mad54:

2 1/2" barrels bring premiums, but as noted, the 19-5s are less sought after than P&R guns, and in general (there being exceptions) special organizational markings bring little more than unmarked guns. As was said above, the matte finish would likely be a detraction in the eyes of most S&W traditionalists. You didn't really say what condition the gun is in, but I'd put it at maybe $700, i.e., a little less than a blued, P&R 19 in 90% or so condition.

As was suggested, go to the Smith-Wessonforum.com for a better idea.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Any S&W with provable LE/ Govt connection will eventually command a premimum, particularilly if they have unique features . The DSS guns aren't heavily on collector radar yet, but witness the current status of the Cali DOJ 3in guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom