• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    I know our minders have banned the Bushmaster rifle but can anyone tell me if a complete Bushmaster HBAR upper assembly is banned as well? I would think it's not banned since it is not serialized and thus would, or should, be considered a gun part...tks...s

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Might want to check out Midway if you want a Bushmaster upper. They had complete M4 uppers for around $400 a while back. Hell of a deal. It was item number 241-847.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Bushmaster isn't what it used to be, that said the HBAR upper is MD legal, so nothing is stopping you from getting one.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    Thanks all for the info...yes, I was looking at a Bushmaster HBAR upper...the Dissipator model...Midway and others advertise it as HBAR, but I can't find anywhere on the actual Bushmaster website to say one way or the other...s

snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    Midway also sells a Del-ton dissipator mode for somewhat less...I hear good things about Del-ton.

Hi Clandestine...was in your class yesterday...had a great time and learned a lot!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Ok, now I'm extra confused. I had my head wrapped around Bushmasters being banned because MD is dumb. Fine. I don't like it but I accept it. Then I read on an older thread on here the other day that the "Bushmaster Semiautomatic Rifle" on the naughty list actually refered to a specific gun that was completely different from the AR manufacturer out of Windham ME (but of course there was no official documentation of this). That got me thinking that my hbar with the snake on it was not a SCAW after all...then I read this thread...so what's the bottom line?

Feb 28, 2013
    Ok, now I'm extra confused. I had my head wrapped around Bushmasters being banned because MD is dumb. Fine. I don't like it but I accept it. Then I read on an older thread on here the other day that the "Bushmaster Semiautomatic Rifle" on the naughty list actually refered to a specific gun that was completely different from the AR manufacturer out of Windham ME (but of course there was no official documentation of this). That got me thinking that my hbar with the snake on it was not a SCAW after all...then I read this thread...so what's the bottom line?

It's not. I think that's just a CYA on the part of the MSP. The original regulated Bushy kinda resembled a Galil. Bushmaster as they exist now wasn't even making AR's at that time.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It's not. I think that's just a CYA on the part of the MSP. The original regulated Bushy kinda resembled a Galil. Bushmaster as they exist now wasn't even making AR's at that time.

I saw a Bushmaster yesterday at the Dale City Gun Show. It sort of resembles a Galil if the Galil was made with stamped sheet metal :lol:

Feb 28, 2013
    I saw a Bushmaster yesterday at the Dale City Gun Show. It sort of resembles a Galil if the Galil was made with stamped sheet metal :lol:

Well, they do have a bizarre look to 'em. I just wanted to at least make sure he knew we weren't referring to that bullpup contraption.:)

MLO9

Jun 26, 2014
    Montgomery County
    MD laws are... alright, enough said already.

However, the MDSP website lists "Bushmaster Semi-Auto Rifle" as banned.
    Is that the simply the logo on the stripped lower?
    It wouldn't surprise me if it is.

Last question: Would this constitute a "copy-cat" weapon?

Now wondering why I didn't move to VA 20 years ago instead of MD...

Feb 28, 2013
    MD laws are... alright, enough said already.

However, the MDSP website lists "Bushmaster Semi-Auto Rifle" as banned.
    Is that the simply the logo on the stripped lower?
    It wouldn't surprise me if it is.

The lower says "Bushmaster" AND it's part of a semi-auto rifle, so as far as the MD Politburo (including but not limited to political appointees posing as LEOs) is concerned, it's the same Bushmaster rifle made BTW by Gwinn Firearms that originally landed on the "regulated" list even though the current Bushmaster company wasn't even making AR's yet. :rolleyes:

Last question: Would this constitute a "copy-cat" weapon?

Now wondering why I didn't move to VA 20 years ago instead of MD...

No. An AR wouldn't fail the "features" test unless you put a launcher on it.

splatt

Apr 5, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Thanks all for the info...yes, I was looking at a Bushmaster HBAR upper...the Dissipator model...Midway and others advertise it as HBAR, but I can't find anywhere on the actual Bushmaster website to say one way or the other...s

I have that exact upper on a Spikes lower, and really like it. Lots of ammo thru it and not a single issue. With a 1x4 scope and 55gr handloads (Bulk Hornady SP) it keeps under 1 moa off sandbags.
    It is HBAR, but I like the balance with the rifle-length handguard. Changed that out to a Magpul MOE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom