• Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    The army bought a LOT of Hotchkiss rifles, as well as Chaffee-Reese and Remington-Lees, though.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/rifles/winchester-hotchkiss/

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Bolt...Model 1882, Chaffee-Reese Magazine Rifle.html

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/rifles/remington-lee-1899/

And of course, the Cavalry was entirely armed with Spencers for years before the Trapdoors crowded them out.

Guess I'll just pull up my big boy pants and buy them all :rolleyes:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks to the Howard County Gun Show today, I'm an Eddystone closer to my goal. Only two left!

Who did you buy it from?

And if you don't mind my asking, for how much? PM would be OK if you don't mind sharing, but do not want to post public.

You tell me your price, and I will tell you mine. :D

Feb 28, 2013
    Who did you buy it from?

And if you don't mind my asking, for how much? PM would be OK if you don't mind sharing, but do not want to post public.

Hanover Shooters' Supply may still have a couple.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I already have one on the way to an MD FFL.

Just wondering if I paid too much. :)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    One of these is on my list . I would want a Bayo with it too. The 1917 was featured in the Lost Battalion movie with Ricky Schroeder (2001)
    My son said he saw the movie in History class and highlighted several important true events during the days of mission.

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    Who did you buy it from?

I don't mind sharing the details. The longer I work on this rifle, the more I think I got an excellent deal. For starters, I bought it from the dudes (sorry don't know the name) who had all of those milsurps spread out on their table against the East wall of the hall, just north of the halfway doors. They had it marked $575.00 (said it came from an estate sale and they hadn't cleaned it up at all) but when I looked down the barrel and let out a "yikes" they eventually brought the price down to $425.00. The rifling was really strong but the barrel was dark and full of gunk. I definitely was rolling the dice on this rifle but was banking on it being cleanable. The guys who sold it to me were really fair and honest dealing so I thought, what the heck.

Long story short, I have been cleaning the rifle ever since :rolleyes:. But...great news! The bore actually shined-up quite nicely; I definitely made a large pile of dirty patches though. After a lot of elbow grease, it is true that there are some shallow pits in the grooves of the rifling but I can barely see them. Shockingly, the bore is actually shiny now. The best part, besides it being a super clean original example, is that the muzzle gauges <1. All the major parts are Eddystone and in great shape. Still haven't shot it yet. I've seen guns in worse condition go for $500-$900 so I think I did alright. I'll try to post some clean-up pics later tonight.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Those are the guys I got my Swedish Mauser from. I was fondling the Eddystone just before I saw the Swedish Mauser and thought it would be a good deal if they came down on it. Nice snag! I know they wanted those to move.

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    Those are the guys I got my Swedish Mauser from. I was fondling the Eddystone just before I saw the Swedish Mauser and thought it would be a good deal if they came down on it. Nice snag! I know they wanted those to move.

Yep, they had three of them: 1 1917 original configuration (the one I bought), 1 1917 that had been a little "bubba'd" (i.e. some idiot filed down the rear sight guard blades and 1 .303 P14. I cleaned the stock today and got a lot of the grime off; underneath all of the gunk is some really nice tiger walnut figuring. I'm starting to think I got really lucky.

That Swedish Mauser was nice; you got a great rifle there. Have you shot it yet?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't mind sharing the details. The longer I work on this rifle, the more I think I got an excellent deal. For starters, I bought it from the dudes (sorry don't know the name) who had all of those milsurps spread out on their table against the East wall of the hall, just north of the halfway doors. They had it marked $575.00 (said it came from an estate sale and they hadn't cleaned it up at all) but when I looked down the barrel and let out a "yikes" they eventually brought the price down to $425.00. The rifling was really strong but the barrel was dark and full of gunk. I definitely was rolling the dice on this rifle but was banking on it being cleanable. The guys who sold it to me were really fair and honest dealing so I thought, what the heck.

Long story short, I have been cleaning the rifle ever since :rolleyes:. But...great news! The bore actually shined-up quite nicely; I definitely made a large pile of dirty patches though. After a lot of elbow grease, it is true that there are some shallow pits in the grooves of the rifling but I can barely see them. Shockingly, the bore is actually shiny now. The best part, besides it being a super clean original example, is that the muzzle gauges <1. All the major parts are Eddystone and in great shape. Still haven't shot it yet. I've seen guns in worse condition go for $500-$900 so I think I did alright. I'll try to post some clean-up pics later tonight.

OK< either you got a heck of a deal, or I paid too much.

I know that Warren (hangs out at Lous tables) had one at Timonium for more than I paid. In fact, my price was about the middle between yours and his.

But mine is a papered CMP rifle. :)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    That Swedish Mauser was nice; you got a great rifle there. Have you shot it yet?

Yea
    In the range pics thread. Shoots just like I was told it should. Better than my eyes. I added some epoxy to front sight to lower my groups. If one day I want to return it I can just hear it up and knock it off.

Can't wait to see pics of yours. My gut was telling me good things about yours and I should have listened ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom