• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    Hey all. I'm admittedly not very active here and, as a result, I can't find everything I'm looking for all of the time. Has anyone started a thread regarding the fact that the national news is reporting on a major court ruling, striking down Maryland's assault weapons and high capacity magazine laws? Please forgive my ignorance but does this mean our local gun stores are going to start ordering all sorts of new toys for me to buy or will we have to wait for another battle in a different court? Thanks for educating or redirecting if I'm an idiot.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    They're going to start selling at midnight tonite.:rolleyes:
    Seriously there's like 3 threads in the Maryland 2A section and at least 1 in the National 2A section.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Hey all. I'm admittedly not very active here and, as a result, I can't find everything I'm looking for all of the time. Has anyone started a thread regarding the fact that the national news is reporting on a major court ruling, striking down Maryland's assault weapons and high capacity magazine laws? Please forgive my ignorance but does this mean our local gun stores are going to start ordering all sorts of new toys for me to buy or will we have to wait for another battle in a different court? Thanks for educating or redirecting if I'm an idiot.

Basically nothing has changed...

The court found that our State did not have adequate reason to create such a law...

Your State's Attorney General (Frosh) has promised to appeal this to the Supreme Court if necessary...

And he is going to use your (State) money to appeal it...

For now the law stands AS PASSED...

Nothing will change when you go to buy your next gun...

You will still need an HQL...

And anything that was banned is still banned...

Hip Hip Hooray, just another NRA Victory...

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Basically nothing has changed...

The court found that our State did not have adequate reason to create such a law...

Your State's Attorney General (Frosh) has promised to appeal this to the Supreme Court if necessary...

And he is going to use your (State) money to appeal it...

For now the law stands AS PASSED...

Nothing will change when you go to buy your next gun...

You will still need an HQL...

And anything that was banned is still banned...

Hip Hip Hooray, just another NRA Victory...

So the ruling means absolutely nothing then?
    We got to many threads going at one time and to much to read.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Basically nothing has changed... The court found that our State did not have adequate reason to create such a law... Your State's Attorney General (Frosh) has promised to appeal this to the Supreme Court if necessary... And he is going to use your (State) money to appeal it... For now the law stands AS PASSED... Nothing will change when you go to buy your next gun... You will still need an HQL... And anything that was banned is still banned... Hip Hip Hooray, just another NRA Victory...
    That misses the bigger picture entirely. The reasons why can be found in those threads. It's a historic decision. Perhaps the biggest for gun owners since McDonald v Chicago. It's certainly the strongest.

So the ruling means absolutely nothing then? We got to many threads going at one time and to much to read.

The Court effectively pinned Frosh in a tight corner -- and anyone else trying to pass similar legislation or restrictions. The court said AR15s, similar rifles, and "large" capacity magazines are constitutionally protected items for self-defense in the home. The court made it the job of the lower court judge to make a proper ruling. Frosh can appeal and has indicated he would, but there's potentially a LOT to lose for him and other tyrants in pursuing this.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The ruling from the 4th Circuit court invalidates the ruling from the lower court that the AWB and magazine limits were ok. It then sends the case back to the lower court for another ruling.

However, it instructs the lower court that they must apply "strict scrutiny" to the case - that is, that they must write the new decision under the guidelines that the law has to further a "compelling interest" and must have been written in the very narrowest way possible in order to be deemed constitutional.

In practice, it is VERY unlikely that the AWB and mag limits will stand up to strict scrutiny.

That said, maybe we can close this thread now?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom