• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I have been a member at a local range for 3 years. I am a conscientious member who reads the regulations,doesn't act like a jackass, etc. However, I have never had a visit where I have not been reprimanded by a RSO for some technicality. My standard response is to apologize regaress of whether the RSO is right or not. About half the time they are right and the other half of the time they are idiots but I am not so good at reasoning with stoopid. No one has ever touched me or my guns though. One day I'd love to just have a property big enough for my own range.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If Lutherville wasn't so far from Frederick, I'd guess Cresap.

Out of curiosity, why? I've only been there half a dozen times, but every RSO I've run in to there has been helpful as hell and nice even when setting someone straight for doing something stupid.

Me personally there isn't a lot I take personally. Other than an attention getting tap on the shoulder or something, no reason to put your hands on someone unless they are doing something really dangerous. Same with their guns.

Then again I have to deal with jerks and idiots all the time, some of them very, very smart jerks and idiots who work for me. Some who happen to be called my bosses boss. Takes a heck of a lot to actually get me upset.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    This is a sad trend at some ranges and shops...I've spoken to some of the shops / ranges about this and the typical response is "we can't afford experienced people".

:smoke: i call ******** on this one. so bold to make this declaration, pm me with details and i'll investigate. else wise, spread no rumors that could get folks shut down because of bullish!t. no-bama isn't done.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Out of curiosity, why? I've only been there half a dozen times, but every RSO I've run in to there has been helpful as hell and nice even when setting someone straight for doing something stupid.

Me personally there isn't a lot I take personally. Other than an attention getting tap on the shoulder or something, no reason to put your hands on someone unless they are doing something really dangerous. Same with their guns.

Then again I have to deal with jerks and idiots all the time, some of them very, very smart jerks and idiots who work for me. Some who happen to be called my bosses boss. Takes a heck of a lot to actually get me upset.

I havent been to Cresap in several years but they have a reputation of being really strict....to the point where people dont go back. That said, there are a few RO's at Cresap that are great guys.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I havent been to Cresap in several years but they have a reputation of being really strict....to the point where people dont go back. That said, there are a few RO's at Cresap that are great guys.

I've only had one minor issue there. RO started hassling me because casings from my lever action were ejecting over my shoulder about six feet back. I responded "So?". Another RO spoke up and said to leave me alone.

In reference to an earlier post, regarding an RO just walking up and touching/handling somebody else's guns, that's a good way for the RO to get drawn on. Not a bright idea.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    I was at Continental for a couple of hrs this morning (late morning in fact). As a member, I take my time shooting unless the range is crowded & people are waiting. Without fail I have to correct someone near me who is either being unsafe or is a newby who doesn't know better, but is being instructed by someone who needs some lessons themselves. I see this at different ranges around the area.

Given the stuff that usually happens when I'm there on weekends, I'm having trouble believing the RSO would chastise someone who was drilling the center of the target. No indoor range is perfect. The RSO on duty today is young but not that full of himself. I had a rather adult conversation with him after I'd finished shooting & was just hanging around watching shooters on the range. Believe me, if he'd wanted to be a dick, there were plenty of opportunities for him to assert his authority, but he didn't. Just my 2 cents. He talked to people just enough to keep things safe.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland

I agree that the "attention getting tap on the shoulder or something" is fully appropriate for a SRSO on an ongoing range violation --- though I don't know if it's current management doctrine too perform taps on shoulders {during a range violation} by SRSO's at AGC @ Marriottsville. I personally would not perform such an act...but I know of one former AGC RSO who was fired, when he used one of his wooden crutches, that he used for support from injury's sustained in a automobile accident --- intentionally hit or tapped the shoulder of an AGC member with his crutch. I don't know whether it was performed during an argument over a range violation/or just to get the members attention --- or how hard he hit the member with his crutch.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Apparently it's hard to get good help. I've managed to run into at least one idiot at just about every gun store or shooting range I've ever visited. Do they have three or more people on staff? Yup, one will be a jerk. You either roll with it, or become a hermit. I guess they're not paying all that much at some of these places.

Nobody has ever touched me, but then again, I'm the one holding a loaded pistol, and most guys are smarter than that.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I agree that the "attention getting tap on the shoulder or something" is fully appropriate for a SRSO on an ongoing range violation --- though I don't know if it's current management doctrine too perform taps on shoulders {during a range violation} by SRSO's at AGC @ Marriottsville. I personally would not perform such an act...but I know of one former AGC RSO who was fired, when he used one of his wooden crutches, that he used for support from injury's sustained in a automobile accident --- intentionally hit or tapped the shoulder of an AGC member with his crutch. I don't know whether it was performed during an argument over a range violation/or just to get the members attention --- or how hard he hit the member with his crutch.

Cupcheck! Are ballistic cups now required safety gear at AGC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom