• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    So a neighbor I've known for a while casually mentioned that he had an M1 Garand that his dad gave him. He said he thought it was a Winchester but readily admitted that he knew nothing about it, hadn't shot it, didn't care to, might wanna sell it, etc.

Of course, I asked to see it and he happily obliged. Indeed, it was a low serial numbered (137XXX) Winchester. Looking up the serial number, I believe it was made December 1941.

I asked to take it apart and look at some of the other parts. Most parts are marked W.R.A. and have close numbers, though some of the parts are marked S.A. (the bolt, for example). The stock was sanded and oiled at some point.

My question is: How much does the Winchester name and early serial number influence price? If it were a later war S.A. in similar condition (field grade), I wouldn't pay over $800.00 for it. I'm looking to give him a fair market value for it. Muzzle gauges well (3ish). Thanks for any insight.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    $700
    He has no attachment to it and you can't just ship it back to CMP if it has issues

In today's market I would say this is a good number. If its really nice and all there.......push to $850.

This stuff is edging up as CMP runs dry and they disappear into collections.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Cabelas has to make 50-100% on any used gun. FTF on a good look M1 $850 seems high but fair.

They are selling them to someone although most of their prices don't tempt me. The OP was looking for "fair market value" which includes a range of what things are selling for.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Winchester commands a premium.

The CMP had some Winchester-receiver Garands a few years ago, and easily got a markup of a couple hundred dollars above their regular prices. That was for mixmasters not guaranteed to have any Winchester parts except the receiver. If the OP's neighbor's rifle has a lot of Winchester parts, that could up the value more. He could even replace some with SA parts and sell the Winnie parts.

$850 for a decent SA is a minimum price, better than most people should expect to be able to swing without knowledge, luck, connections, and perseverance. A nice Winchester mixmaster with lots of Winchester parts should be worth a LOT more than $850. Easily $1000 plus.

Luck-of-the-draw SA Service Grades were up to $750 when they were last available. Now they are sold out. That price was for people who can jump through the CMP hoops, wait for several months, and accept whatever pieced-together mixmaster they find when they open the box. Just being able to look at the rifle first is worth a premium.

What say you, Ken?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I got a CMP Winchester last go around, 2-3 years ago. I think it was $895.

That was a Field Grade, right?
    Were you able to examine it first? Pick it up? Check out the parts? How many Winchester parts did it have?

That $895 was a $300 premium over the price for a CMP Springfield at that time. You paid a 50% markup for that Winchester receiver, sight unseen, luck-of-the-draw, take what they send you.

I'm not criticizing you by any means. I realize you are offering support for the point I'm making. A year and a half ago I paid $925 for a sight unseen, luck-of-the-draw, take what they send you Field Grade with an IHC receiver, and I waited 4 or 5 months for it. It's one of my favorite rifles.

Now the CMP is completely sold out of everything except some M1Ds. So what is the going price for a Winchester now? (Hint: a lot more than $850.)

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    That was a Field Grade, right?
    Were you able to examine it first? Pick it up? Check out the parts? How many Winchester parts did it have?

That $895 was a $300 premium over the price for a CMP Springfield at that time. You paid a 50% markup for that Winchester receiver, sight unseen, luck-of-the-draw, take what they send you.

I'm not criticizing you by any means. I realize you are offering support for the point I'm making. A year and a half ago I paid $925 for a sight unseen, luck-of-the-draw, take what they send you Field Grade with an IHC receiver, and I waited 4 or 5 months for it. It's one of my favorite rifles.

Now the CMP is completely sold out of everything except some M1Ds. So what is the going price for a Winchester now? (Hint: a lot more than $850.)

Yes, it was luck of the draw...

Just looked it up. Here's what I ordered in February 2014:

RM1WRAS- $795

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    If the OP's M1 in question happens to have an (original) Winchester barrel, price goes up significantly. Most (or all) CMP recent Winchester's were rebarreled because most of the WW2 barrels needed it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    So a neighbor I've known for a while casually mentioned that he had an M1 Garand that his dad gave him. He said he thought it was a Winchester but readily admitted that he knew nothing about it, hadn't shot it, didn't care to, might wanna sell it, etc.

Of course, I asked to see it and he happily obliged. Indeed, it was a low serial numbered (137XXX) Winchester. Looking up the serial number, I believe it was made December 1941.

I asked to take it apart and look at some of the other parts. Most parts are marked W.R.A. and have close numbers, though some of the parts are marked S.A. (the bolt, for example). The stock was sanded and oiled at some point.

My question is: How much does the Winchester name and early serial number influence price? If it were a later war S.A. in similar condition (field grade), I wouldn't pay over $800.00 for it. I'm looking to give him a fair market value for it. Muzzle gauges well (3ish). Thanks for any insight.

Did you buy it?

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    Not yet as he has been second-guessing his desire to sell because of the family connection to it. However, chatting with him tonight, he's about to pop and sell it. Thanks to all who helped me zero-in on a price range. I'll make a strong offer and hope to have rifle pics to post in a day or two. Thanks all.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Not yet as he has been second-guessing his desire to sell because of the family connection to it. However, chatting with him tonight, he's about to pop and sell it. Thanks to all who helped me zero-in on a price range. I'll make a strong offer and hope to have rifle pics to post in a day or two. Thanks all.

update?....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom