• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    This is the intersection at the little old shell station.
    They were putting up a pole with a camera and accessories on Thursday in the northbound 3 shoulder.

I couldn't tell if it was red light or speed or just traffic related.

Anyone know the scoop on this one? I drive past it almost every day. Usually at a crawl in traffic in the afternoon.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...a9fa722fea6611!8m2!3d38.9855994!4d-76.7083441

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Yup 3 needed to be slowed up some more and the accidents this thing will cause should be just the way to make that happen.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Well, it's on my evening commute, so I guess we'll find out for sure in a few weeks when the citations start mailing.

God, I hope it's red light and not speed. Sounds like red light if it's on a pole.

-Rob

Mr H

Banana'd
    They seem to like playing games at that light.

The NB right turn lane was remarked and significantly shortened a while back, and in the dark I guess the wife just missed the change. Got lit up and read the riot act by a surly MSP, who (her assessment) gave her a warning just because he couldn't find anything more to hang on her, what with her squeaky clean record.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    That is my commute as well. I thought the camera had been put up a couple of years ago. It was a bummer on the right turn being shortened so much. PoPo likes to stop people for going on the shoulder early to enter the parkway as well.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    I take that pretty frequently. I thought PG County required the cameras to be around schools. I don't think even a Bowie politician could even justify this as being around a school. Any chance it is a red light camera?

They have a couple red light cameras further south on 3/301 right when you get into Bowie.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    It seems like an odd spot kind of far back for a red light camera. We were rolling through there today. I'll snap a pic next time I'm stopped at the light in a good spot.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    It seems like an odd spot kind of far back for a red light camera. We were rolling through there today. I'll snap a pic next time I'm stopped at the light in a good spot.

If this is the one you are talking about, I am leaning towards red light camera. Coming up 301 from 4 you see a couple of them. It is pretty far back and I am sure that is to the detriment of their accuracy.

The camera is above the Avalon's passenger side tail light.

giA2uoB.jpg

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Chuck, In your picture, you are on 450E about to turn to 3N, correct? Getting bearings...

CroftonBilly

Huge Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    That intersection (specifically 3 Northbound just before the Shell station) has had the bulky galvanized pole & camera box red light cameras running there for years. They might have just been doing maintenance when the OP saw crews working on it recently.

Lots of people run the tail ends of those lights and the flashes from the cameras can be seen all the time as the lights turn red.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Drove that for over a year. Soooo glad to get rid of that commute. Always took it easy through that set of intersections in both directions. Cameras everywhere. Hard to imagine them needing more.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    I always assume every intersection in Bowie has a camera.

I bet Bowie/PG put this up because they are tired of people leaving for AACo. A lot of us have to go to 50 to get to our job. This is their way to collect a little bit of a commuter tax. I bet Bowie has drafts of where they could put speed cameras on 50 and still be close enough to a School Zone.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Crofton Town Center reminds me of Six Flags lately which is probably people of PG wanting to get out for a bit, I can remember hunting and shooting over there before the asphalt happened, the kids in the house where BoA is now had quite a few moving out parties while making their move. When they built the condos behind the Bob Evan's there was a large ad sign on Rt3 which someone :innocent0 had a addition made up to make it read ""Sexually" Active Adult Community" Probably got some good laughs for a couple days, quite funny to some:innocent0 since it was difficult being 10' off the ground. Good times ... for someone:innocent0

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    That's the one.
    It seems to be at a terrible angle to actually get anyone in any other lane than the far right for red lights.

That light is easy to see from a mile away. Didn't think it was one that had a running red light issue.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Crofton Town Center reminds me of Six Flags lately which is probably people of PG wanting to get out for a bit, I can remember hunting and shooting over there before the asphalt happened, the kids in the house where BoA is now had quite a few moving out parties while making their move. When they built the condos behind the Bob Evan's there was a large ad sign on Rt3 which someone :innocent0 had a addition made up to make it read ""Sexually" Active Adult Community" Probably got some good laughs for a couple days, quite funny to some:innocent0 since it was difficult being 10' off the ground. Good times ... for someone:innocent0

We have taken to calling it New Bowie Town Center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom