• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    I've been searching old threads and haven't been able to pin-down the answer to a question I have (sorry for any redundancy).

Before the Maryland "assault weapons ban" a few years ago, I purchased a SIG 516 Patrol; it was one of a couple purchases I made in preparation for the hard times ahead. As my interests have now changed, I would like to sell this rifle but realize that I cannot legally sell it (privately) in Maryland. My question is can I drive this rifle to Pennsylvania and legally sell it, privately (FTF), without any FFL transfer requirements, etc.? If there are limitations, what are they?

Thanks for any help on the matter.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    No. The rifle must be transferred through an FFL if it is going across state lines. A long gun may be transferred through any FFL in any state. A pistol must be transferred through an FFL in the BUYER'S state of residence.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One clarification, it can be transferred through an FFL in any state, as long as the transaction is legal in that state the FFL is in, and the state of residence of the buyer.

So you could meet a PA resident at an FFL in VA and do this, but the PA resident cannot purchase in MD.

If you sell online, there is no legal restriction against you shipping it to an FFL local to the buyer. HOWEVER, not all FFLs will accept a firearm shipped from a person. So make sure the buyer checks first. If their FFL only accepts from another FFL, there will be the added expensive of having an MD FFL ship it.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Another option would be to seel the rifle to a MD FFL. This is perfectly legal, the FFL would just then have to sell it to an out-of-state buyer, a long as the rifle is legal in the buyer's state.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Piston gun. Not parts compatible with an AR-15. LEGAL to sell in MD. Frederick gun show tomorrow. Put on a sling and a sign.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Piston gun. Not parts compatible with an AR-15. LEGAL to sell in MD. Frederick gun show tomorrow. Put on a sling and a sign.

Are you sure about that?

I just looked this up:
    HETGhMh.png

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    That list isn't legally binding. MSP has stated to be banned a rifle must have both a cosmetic similarity and parts interchangeability.
    So all piston AR's regardless of barrel profile are legal???

Makes sense to me but IANAL and I don't know if I could find a dealer willing to sell a non-HBAR version to me in MD.

If you know of one let me know. I'd jump on a combo deal for the Ruger SR 556 and SR 762.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Well piston AR's suck. But if you're looking for Rugers try 3R gunshop in Hagerstown. They're Rugah fanboys. They'll likely be at the HoCo show in 2 weeks. Or try Engage.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Well piston AR's suck. But if you're looking for Rugers try 3R gunshop in Hagerstown. They're Rugah fanboys. They'll likely be at the HoCo show in 2 weeks. Or try Engage.
    LMAO I keep hearing that. I have Windham's, so no pistons in my inventory at the moment. Does that piston suck thing extend to .308/7.62?

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    LMAO I keep hearing that. I have Windham's, so no pistons in my inventory at the moment. Does that piston suck thing extend to .308/7.62?

Pistons are a stopgap measure to "improve reliabilty". They offer advantages in two areas only. Underwater and amphibious assaults. They're also all proprietary so you're stuck with one source for parts. The AR-10/AR-15 Family was designed and optimized for Direct Gas Impingement. When you jam a piston in there it's sort of like turning a Glock into a revolver. Sure it could work but why waste your money?

Now a gun designed for a piston from a clean slate at the start (AK/FAL) are great too. It's when you go outside the legacy that it starts going to hell.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Technically, yes. But I'm with mopar in that I'm not a fan of piston AR's. Solution looking for a problem.

Pistons are a stopgap measure to "improve reliabilty". They offer advantages in two areas only. Underwater and amphibious assaults. They're also all proprietary so you're stuck with one source for parts. The AR-10/AR-15 Family was designed and optimized for Direct Gas Impingement. When you jam a piston in there it's sort of like turning a Glock into a revolver. Sure it could work but why waste your money?

Now a gun designed for a piston from a clean slate at the start (AK/FAL) are great too. It's when you go outside the legacy that it starts going to hell.
    Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I'll stick with my Windham's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom