• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    Some time before my dad passed away he gave me his old Remington 700, in 30-06. When he gave it to me I noted the bore was pretty nasty looking, with a lot of pitting. The rifle I believe it not worth much, but has more sentimental value to me as you would expect.

What are my options with having this old bolt action rifle re-barreled? Who does such work locally (Gburg/Rockville,etc.)? And what would the various options cost approximately?
    thanks in advance for your input...s

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Mid-Maryland Gun Repair is north of Frederick.
    You can give them a call.
    I had them work on a Shotgun a while back and they re-barreled a revolver for me.

Good luck.

C

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Probably not as expensive as you'd think. A lot of it is going to depend on the barrel you choose to put on it. You could give the guys over at Duffy's a call. Have you shot it yet? It may actually shoot better than you'd think and you might want to keep it as is?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Some time before my dad passed away he gave me his old Remington 700, in 30-06. When he gave it to me I noted the bore was pretty nasty looking, with a lot of pitting. The rifle I believe it not worth much, but has more sentimental value to me as you would expect.

What are my options with having this old bolt action rifle re-barreled? Who does such work locally (Gburg/Rockville,etc.)? And what would the various options cost approximately?
    thanks in advance for your input...s
    What you have there is a fantastic platform that can be re-barreled, modded, re-stocked, etc, etc, etc. The sky is the limit for what you want to do with it. As it is, it's barreled for 30-06, but you could just as easily make it almost anything else you wanted it to be.

There are stocks galore, triggers galore, barrels galore....SO many options out there.

Douglas, Shillen, and Krieger are names that first come to mind, and any one of those would be a nice addition to your Dad's gun if you feel that it's warranted. I'm pretty sure you can get this work completely locally, but if not, there are dozens, if not hundreds of shops that specialize in modding Remington 700s.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you do want it rebarreled with a stock barrel, check with places like Short Action Custom (Ohio) or Long Rifles, Inc (ND, IIRC).

They rebarrel a LOT of Rem 700s, and may have a take off that will work for a good price. Ship them the barreled action (FedEx Ground works) and have it back in about a week.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    As others have stated clean and shoot first, you may be surprised. I've got a Pre 64 Model 70 30-06 with a badly pitted bore that still holds an inch at 100 yards, the only problem with a rough bore is it gets dirty faster. I think a lot of these old 30-06's got pitted bores from firing surplus WW2 ammo without cleaning.
    5 shots, 100 yards, rough bore.

Attachments

• IMG_2086.jpg
      IMG_2086.jpg
      46.1 KB · Views: 229

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    As others have stated clean and shoot first, you may be surprised. I've got a Pre 64 Model 70 30-06 with a badly pitted bore that still holds an inch at 100 yards, the only problem with a rough bore is it gets dirty faster. I think a lot of these old 30-06's got pitted bores from firing surplus WW2 ammo without cleaning.
    5 shots, 100 yards, rough bore.
    Imagine how much tighter that would be with a new Shillen barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom