• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    While I have 20 gauge shotguns, I can't make up my mind on a 12 gauge beyond wanting to get a reliable, inexpensive pump-action that has customization options, the ability to get new barrels, etc. I don't want a gun with rust. I don't care whether there's a cross bolt or tang safety. It want a trunk gun for travel and possible HD gun.

I've narrowed to these options ...

1) Norinco clones of the Remington 870 for under $200, new, 5+1 capacity, 3-inch chamber
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...te_arms_hawk_12_ga_pump_defense_shotgun_wrail
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...terstate_arms_hawk_12_ga_pump_defense_shotgun

2) Used Remington 870 Police Magnum for $280 shipped, beat up in appearance but said to be in excellent working condition, synthetic stock, 5+1 capacity, 3-inch chamber

3) Used Remington 870 Wingmasters with 19/20-inch barrels for $350-400, very good to excellent condition, 5+1 capacity, 2.75-inch chamber -- saw one in this price range at a local store but had a bit of receiver rust :(

4) Mossberg 500 Scorpion 12 Ga 18" Barrel Flat Dark Earth TALO Special Edition for $450-500, new, 6+1 capacity, 3-inch chamber, easy to mount a flashlight, highly adjustable stock -- but maybe more than I want to spend

Of course, I've already started buying 12-gauge ammo (2.75-inch shells).

Help me decide! I see the virtues of each at their respective price points. I've enjoyed shooting both Remington and Mossberg pump-action 12 gauge guns in the past, and it's been bugging me for years that I don't have one.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    If you can find a decent mid 70's Wingmaster, I would buy that over anything made in the last 20 years. Those things are so smooth and were built so much better than what is being put out today. I just recently took my dad's old 870 from 1975 and put a new 18'' barrel and extension on it and it shoots just like new.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Impossible to go wrong between the 870 and a 500.
    Both have equally large aftermarkets.

Just comes down to preference.
    Some say the feel of the 870 is a little more substantial than the 500.
    I dunno. I've owned both.

For me, the only functional difference is the safety.
    500 has its safety on the back of the receiver.
    870 uses a cross-bolt type safety just like that of a Ruger 10/22.

I like the 870's safety a tad more. That's just me.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks for the above feedback.

94hokie, if I could find a 70s era Wingmaster in reasonable shape for a reasonable price, I'd be happy. I'm looking at an 80s era one on GB that is a short-lived Brushmaster variant. I think the local one is less than 20 years old with a parkerized finish.

DC-W, I also have one 20 Gauge 870 Express and a 20 Gauge 870 Wingmaster on its way. Like you, I'm comfortable with the 870 ergos. I do appreciate Chad's past comments that the 500 is more user serviceable. I'm probably leaning toward the 870 Police Magnum right now, which is putatively an older era build (I don't have a date) with an attractive price.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    While I have 20 gauge shotguns, I can't make up my mind on a 12 gauge beyond wanting to get a reliable, inexpensive pump-action that has customization options, the ability to get new barrels, etc. I don't want a gun with rust. I don't care whether there's a cross bolt or tang safety. It want a trunk gun for travel and possible HD gun.

I've narrowed to these options ...

1) Norinco clones of the Remington 870 for under $200, new, 5+1 capacity, 3-inch chamber
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...te_arms_hawk_12_ga_pump_defense_shotgun_wrail
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...terstate_arms_hawk_12_ga_pump_defense_shotgun

2) Used Remington 870 Police Magnum for $280 shipped, beat up in appearance but said to be in excellent working condition, synthetic stock, 5+1 capacity, 3-inch chamber

3) Used Remington 870 Wingmasters with 19/20-inch barrels for $350-400, very good to excellent condition, 5+1 capacity, 2.75-inch chamber -- saw one in this price range at a local store but had a bit of receiver rust :(

4) Mossberg 500 Scorpion 12 Ga 18" Barrel Flat Dark Earth TALO Special Edition for $450-500, new, 6+1 capacity, 3-inch chamber, easy to mount a flashlight, highly adjustable stock -- but maybe more than I want to spend

Of course, I've already started buying 12-gauge ammo (2.75-inch shells).

Help me decide! I see the virtues of each at their respective price points. I've enjoyed shooting both Remington and Mossberg pump-action 12 gauge guns in the past, and it's been bugging me for years that I don't have one.

Stop by the shop this evening if you have time, we have a smathering of different types you may like.:D

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Stop by the shop this evening if you have time, we have a smathering of different types you may like.:D
    I'll give you a call in the evening to get a better idea. I tend to work late, but am happy to come if there's something that I want to buy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Mossberg 500 - great choice. lots of options for customization. No loading gate.

Remington 870 - great choice. lots of options for customization. Loading gate.

Some people don't like the loading gate. I'm one of them so I went with a Mossberg. My rationale is stupid though; the first time I used my friend's Remington 870, I pinched myself in that dang loading gate twice while duck hunting in very cold weather. But you could certainly get used to the loading gate easily.

Maybe just see which one offers a deal when you go to buy?

I also really like the Ithaca Model 37. If you want something else that is good quality, reliable and has plenty of spare parts, check them out. I have a model 37 featherweight that was made in 1958 and I use it often for hunting. A small cap that goes over the spring in the magazine tube wore out a couple years ago. I called Ithaca and they mailed me a replacement for free.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Dick's has the Maverick 88 on sale $199. Reg app. $220. Only down side to the Maverick I've heard is the plastic trigger group. So don't drop or throw it on concrete. Regular 5+1 Mossy 500's around $350-380.

Not sure about the Norinco and how compatible they are with an 870. Stevens M350 can be found for about $250 too.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Moss 500 vs Rem 870 is the eternal Ford vs Chevy debate of the shotgun world.

Moss is lighter in weight, and has tang safety. Weight can go either way with personal preference . I like tang safety generally, and will point it is more adaptable to firing from either shoulder. A big thing if you or family member is an actual southpaw. Also handy when you are being an Operator operating Operationally, shooting around corners.

And for the wild card, I really like the underrated Winchester M1200/1300 .

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    New production? M-O-S-S-B-E-R-G. New Remington is cheap shit that if you buy the upgraded parts for reliabilty and pay a smith to install them will roughly equal cost of new gun.

Old school? Flip a coin.

Wild card contenders include High Standard Flite King (I like Steve McQueen sue me) Winchester 12/1300 and S&W 3000.

Ithaca's are great until they aren't and quality varies greatly depending where and when they where built.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Old PRE PLASTIC 870 would get my vote. I have that and a Mossberg 835 that I bought for a song just for turkey shoots. I like them both BUT the 870 is just slicker and the better looking. I wish I had a mint Win 97, they just look cool!

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I like the 18.5" Mossberg 590. Add a 4.25" tube extension and you have 7+1 capacity Mossberg with an 18.5" barrel (I hate the 20")

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    If you are just picking from that list 'as is', I'm sticking with my #4 recommendation. You can't do much better than this without spending a ton more money, and you won't get that much more bang for your buck:

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-23%20at%207.36.47%20PM.jpg

If you are entertaining mods to the others, the sky is the limit and I'm sure you could trick one of the others out, but it would put you price wise at or above what the Mossy costs.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Dick's has the Maverick 88 on sale $199. Reg app. $220. Only down side to the Maverick I've heard is the plastic trigger group. So don't drop or throw it on concrete. Regular 5+1 Mossy 500's around $350-380.

I'll second the Maverick. I have one and it's a great gun for the price. I've never had an issue with the trigger group (the only non-interchangeable part with a 500 IIRC) and it'll accept any 500 barrel or furniture set with ease.

Given that you're looking for a "trunk gun" that can double as HD, it's the most reliable cheap route there is. I've hunted deer, turkey, pheasant, chuckar, and dove with my Maverick 88 and it always did just fine. Have a cantilevered barrel for my scope for deer season and Turkey season. 28" vent-rib for birds, 20" for HD. Hell. You can even get a .50cal front-stuffer barrel for them to cover muzzle-loader season, and at sub $200 more often than not for the gun, you don't care if it gets banged up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom