• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    A good leather pancake : good concealment , good field holster, good retention( within context of holsters of this catagory) , good comfort . Dead cows always have class , BBQ worthy if so inclined.

A leather pancake holster is always a good all-around choice. Take a look at El Paso Saddlery - a little pricey but great quality.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I’ve only used Fobus but I like them

I have an OWB Fobus holster for my G42. I love it. No issues and I carry it every day at the house. Retention is good, fit is good. Couldn’t ask for more.

I have looked into the Fobus for my 1911 but I’m not crazy about the design.

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    I have a Fobus for my P226 and it works perfectly. Would I get one for a 1911? Hell no, but it does what I wanted it to do.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a Fobus for my P226 and it works perfectly. Would I get one for a 1911? Hell no, but it does what I wanted it to do.

The 1911 models just do not seem to look right to me. The trigger does not appear to be covered all the way and the barrel sticks out of the bottom more than I would care for.

Plus let’s be honest.... a 1911 deserves leather.

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    The 1911 models just do not seem to look right to me. The trigger does not appear to be covered all the way and the barrel sticks out of the bottom more than I would care for.

Plus let’s be honest.... a 1911 deserves leather.

As I said, I wouldn’t buy one for a 1911. I have an El Paso Saddlery for one 1911 and a Privateer Leather for the other.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I've been very satisfied with the Azula leather holster I got for my Walther PPQ 45:

https://azulagunholsters.com/

CanMCWw.jpg

I believe they're made in South Africa?

My kid gave me a $25 Amazon gift card for my b-day back in October so it was $24.00 with shipping. Regular price is $44.95 + $4.49 shipping.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    As I said, I wouldn’t buy one for a 1911. I have an El Paso Saddlery for one 1911 and a Privateer Leather for the other.

I have recently looked into El Paso Saddlery for a holster and belt for my upcoming Vaquero purchase. They make some beautiful leather. The 1911 stuff looks nice too.

I’m guessing you would recommend their 1911 holsters.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Two main issues with Fobus :

1. Their purported Fit List is vast, but they exaggerate. Of holsters claimed to fit , a lot will be rattling loose, and an equal number will be so tight to barely be able to force in , if at all . Don't assume , but physically try your gun first. ( Hoster stock numbers for only one gun do tend to fit better.)

2. Most buyers get them for occasional range use. But if you actually use them , the material itself is very undurable.

For a time , shooting/ hunting partner #2 used Fobus for daily carry , as in put on gun when wake up, take off when going to bed ( no , not in PRM ). Every 6-9 months , the holster would spontainously fall apart . Of course long before that it would have weakened to the point that catching it on anything , or worst case , a snatch attempt, would have had the holster split and give up the gun.

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    I have recently looked into El Paso Saddlery for a holster and belt for my upcoming Vaquero purchase. They make some beautiful leather. The 1911 stuff looks nice too.

I’m guessing you would recommend their 1911 holsters.

And did, early on in this thread.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I've been very satisfied with the Azula leather holster I got for my Walther PPQ 45:

https://azulagunholsters.com/

CanMCWw.jpg

I believe they're made in South Africa?

My kid gave me a $25 Amazon gift card for my b-day back in October so it was $24.00 with shipping. Regular price is $44.95 + $4.49 shipping.

Wow. That holster looks great!

Not to mention the kind gift, obviously you are doing something right brother..... :D:thumbsup:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I like kydex with an offset mold(most of the pistol's shape is to the outside), really easy to carry and very little maintenence, thinner than leather. Some of the newer designs can be carried IWB with hooks, or OWB with wing loops. THey ride with the trigger at or slightly above the top of the belt, so they conceal a compact very well under an untucked shirt. They work well for range use, and I've shot IDPA and steel matches with them, probably the most versatile design there is. A few companies produce them, Vigitac was my favorite, till the owner went back to his day job, they had clearances for sights and parts molded in, had adjustable retension, and ride higher than most others, so they conceal really well while being nice and comfortable. He sold his equipment to Trop Gun shop in Elizabethtown, PA, they can make a holster while you wait, or choose one of the pre-made models still in stock for 50% off.

Attachments

• 20161205_150357.jpg
      20161205_150357.jpg
      87.8 KB · Views: 216

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Two main issues with Fobus :

1. Their purported Fit List is vast, but they exaggerate. Of holsters claimed to fit , a lot will be rattling loose, and an equal number will be so tight to barely be able to force in , if at all . Don't assume , but physically try your gun first. ( Hoster stock numbers for only one gun do tend to fit better.)

2. Most buyers get them for occasional range use. But if you actually use them , the material itself is very undurable.

For a time , shooting/ hunting partner #2 used Fobus for daily carry , as in put on gun when wake up, take off when going to bed ( no , not in PRM ). Every 6-9 months , the holster would spontainously fall apart . Of course long before that it would have weakened to the point that catching it on anything , or worst case , a snatch attempt, would have had the holster split and give up the gun.

Why would you expect any Fobus holster (without thumb snap) to be any type of retention? That's not fair to the holster. Pretty sure they don't advertise them as that.
    I bought a fobus paddle 17 years ago for one of my range holsters for work. I have no idea of the 10's of thousands of draws I have out of it, but has held up and still works fine. I have some newer "evolution" models now and they are awesome. Fobus works fine for a receptacle for your pistol at the range. I would never use one for actual carry.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    You guys are more smarter-er than me when it comes to holsters, so input is appreciated (NOT trying to hijack OP). What's a good OWB leather holster for ruger gp100 4"? Thanks, and great thread OP!

:)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You guys are more smarter-er than me when it comes to holsters, so input is appreciated (NOT trying to hijack OP). What's a good OWB leather holster for ruger gp100 4"? Thanks, and great thread OP!

Hey bro. No free rides here! You have to buy 20 or 30 holsters yourself like many of us have to see which one you like the best and leave the others laying in a drawer to collect dust. :)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I used a Safariland holster that sandwiched a layer of Kydex between leather. It looks like a leather holster, but it was stiffer thanks to the Kydex. And the inside is suede lined, so it doesn't damage the finish on a blued gun. I used the paddle insert, but it also comes with a belt attachment.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

To me revolvers must have leather. Check out High Noon or Wright Leatherworks.

Sorry, Blaster, just tryin' to help a brotha out...;)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    To me revolvers must have leather. Check out High Noon or Wright Leatherworks. ...

Should have updated my thread. A couple from High Noon pictured below. Second one is definite barbeque. Have one arriving from White Hat this week for a Glock 19/32. Looking at a leather one from Kramer for the new Cobra after changing the grip color (lol).

e40f5124c430152f23111ec873591d62.jpg
    4901ba8426d5114a439de0b9e63ecca6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom