• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Anyone use them in the past? My folks gave me a 1/2 day guided hunt up there for my birthday and xmas present. I've only hunted Pheasant Valley Farm in PA before. Mason-Dixon seems to have great reviews online, just wondered if anyone here had any personal experiences with them.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I am on their mailing list, but have never hunted there. Wasn't there a game farm in HoCo that went out of business a few years ago?

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    This line from their webpage is awesome. Makes me want to go, though I'm not too sure how I would do. I have a hard enough time hitting ducks.

"You are only charged for the birds released for your hunt. If you shoot more than you released, those are bonus birds for your day."

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Top notch, used them a few times for training my GSP on birds, great folks. :thumbsup:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This line from their webpage is awesome. Makes me want to go, though I'm not too sure how I would do. I have a hard enough time hitting ducks.

"You are only charged for the birds released for your hunt. If you shoot more than you released, those are bonus birds for your day."

It is a canned hunt. My brothers, dad, and I do it once in a while on the eastern shore. The birds are pen raised, planted in the field ahead of time by putting them to sleep, hold until the dogs are on them, flush slow, and fly slow. Last time we went, we had them put out 100 quail and we killed 96 of them. Pheasants are like a huge blimp moving through the air. Hell, they flush so close that you have to wait for them to get a little ways away or you will be eating pheasant burger.

With that said, if you have a dog to train, really like watching dogs work, have a new hunter that you would like to give an easy hunt to, etc., then these places are awesome. They just aren't like hunting wild birds, especially pheasants, that will run all day long until forced to flush and then flush a decent ways away from you. Not like coming upon a covey of quail and having them explode in all different directions in front of you.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Given that there aren't sustainable populations of wild pheasants in MD or pretty much anywhere on the east coast anymore, canned hunts are fine with me. Pheasant Valley Farm which I've used in PA is canned, but can still be challenging due to terrain and the crops they grow there for cover (really tall switchgrass, millet, sorghum, corn, etc.) Until you get out into Wisconsin and the Dakotas, most of what you see is either put-and-take, or state-stocked which are all pen-raised as well.

I'd like to see the DNR here in MoCo put quail and pheasants in at Little Bennet Regional Park here and not hay the meadows for a year or two to let the population get a foothold. From there, they'd likely spread to the farms in the area. Doubt it'll happen though.

Anyway, thanks for the info everyone. Looking forward to booking with them as it warms up a little bit.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Anyone actually know these folks?

They apparently don’t return calls or emails.

Would also be okay with other semi local suggestions. Hopewell shut down

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Anyone actually know these folks?

They apparently don’t return calls or emails.

Would also be okay with other semi local suggestions. Hopewell shut down

There are a few in the Charles Town Martinsburg area. Twin Ridge game farm one that comes to mind. Hunted there 3 or 4 times. I found the others on Google but don't remember the names.

Sack

Dec 17, 2014
    WV
    There are a few in the Charles Town Martinsburg area. Twin Ridge game farm one that comes to mind. Hunted there 3 or 4 times. I found the others on Google but don't remember the names.

Twin Ridge is now closed. They closed at the end of May. Apparently the land owner wanted to go in a different direction.

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017
    Well season opens in 2 months you’d think you’d want to book open dates

Are you looking for an upland hunt? Season usually starts 01 October. However, it's often too hot to run dogs in the early season.

You should check out Mason Branch Hunting Preserve, located near Tuckahoe State Park. Great guys over there and cheaper than Mason Dixon.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Are you looking for an upland hunt? Season usually starts 01 October. However, it's often too hot to run dogs in the early season.

You should check out Mason Branch Hunting Preserve, located near Tuckahoe State Park. Great guys over there and cheaper than Mason Dixon.

Mason branch hunting huh……off to Google i go and thank you very much for the suggestion.

Long story short i thought it would be a fun Bday gift fir my brother. Mason Dixon has a 3 bird package i thought would be fun.

I really do appreciate the suggestion I’m gonna see what they are about

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I did an upland hunt with them 5-6 years ago. Their dogs were very impressive. I did not set-up the hunt so I have no experience with their ‘back-office’.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

I gotta again say thanks. I talked to Chris today. Seemed like a really cool guy. I’m gonna shoot him an email here shortly and get a full price quote so i know what everyone owes to get the guys an exact number but 99% chance Chris gets our business.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I gotta again say thanks. I talked to Chris today. Seemed like a really cool guy. I’m gonna shoot him an email here shortly and get a full price quote so i know what everyone owes to get the guys an exact number but 99% chance Chris gets our business.

Do you have a dog you can hunt over?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom