• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmable44

Jul 4, 2018
    Hey all,

I’m originally from Lancaster, Pa but moved down here to the Glen Burnie area for work and to be with my fiancé.

Anything gun related in PA was pretty lax and super easy to understand but now I’m super confused and there seems to be a lot of grey area in regards to laws, new resident requirements, registrations, etc. Unless I’m reading everything wrong. So I was recommended here by the father in law. I’m seeking some information/help in deciphering the laws and what exactly I need to do and what is truly required for my intentions. I’ve been on the MD State Police site multiple times and it seems contradictive to things I’ve been told, read, etc.

If there are certain sub forums or threads I should make some posts in, or if there are any threads related to this (I’m sure it’s been asked 1000 times) I’d greatly appreciate any links or any other information!

Thanks!

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    There are tons of differences. Here are a few:

1) No AK-47 rifles
    2) No AR-15s with A2 profiles unless you owned them prior to 10/1/2013
    3) To buy a handgun, you need a handgun qualification license.
    4) You can own magazines that hold greater than 10 rounds but you can't buy them here
    5) Unless you have a business or can identify an overwhelming need to get a carry permit, you probably won't get it. It doesn't matter if you have a PA permit because Maryland doesn't recognize any other states permits. In a state of six million, there are only 18,000 permit holders.
    6) You can only transport firearms from your house to common places where you use guns such as ranges, hunting, and gun stores. Don't stop anywhere along the way.

dmable44

Jul 4, 2018
    Thanks for the info!

I have an AR-15 and a Glock 19. Both of which I have owned prior to moving here. I know I have 90 days to register them but here’s my confusion; do I need an HQL to have them, register them, and keep them? I’ve found two places on the MSP website where it states “An HQL is the only required to purchase, rent or transfer a firearm” as well as “You do not need a Handgun Qualification License to own a gun you already have”. I’ve heard you need the HQL to register the firearms as well as that you don’t need it to register.

My intentions are to not buy, sell, transfer, or rent any firearm in MD. If I don’t absolutely legally need the HQL, then why get it? I understand the registering is required. All I want to do is the be able to have them in my house and go to the range and be legally okay.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The HQL is only needed to buy a handgun. It is not needed for "voluntary" registration. About your AR-15, if you bought it on or after 10/1/2013, and it is chambered in .223 or 5.56, then to bring it to Maryland, it must have a heavy barrel. For Maryland purposes, to be considered a heavy barrel, it must either be stamped as a heavy barrel or advertised as such. If it is an A2 profile, where it gets narrow at one point, if it isn't a pre 10/1/2013 purchase, don't bring it here. Any other calibers other than 223/5.56 do not have this restriction.
    Also, Maryland has an OAL requirement of at least 29" with the stock fully extended.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The HQL is only needed to buy a handgun. It is not needed for "voluntary" registration. About your AR-15, if you bought it on or after 10/1/2013, and it is chambered in .223 or 5.56, then to bring it to Maryland, it must have a heavy barrel. For Maryland purposes, to be considered a heavy barrel, it must either be stamped as a heavy barrel or advertised as such. If it is an A2 profile, where it gets narrow at one point, if it isn't a pre 10/1/2013 purchase, don't bring it here. Any other calibers other than 223/5.56 do not have this restriction.
    Also, Maryland has an OAL requirement of at least 29" with the stock fully extended.

Barrel profile has nothing to do with it, barrel must be stamped or advertised as an HBAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Barrel profile has nothing to do with it, barrel must be stamped or advertised as an HBAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird, please read what I wrote before you critique my content. I wrote, "For Maryland purposes, to be considered a heavy barrel, it must either be stamped as a heavy barrel or advertised as such."

dmable44

Jul 4, 2018
    I have a Yankee Hill Machine barrel on my upper. It doesn’t have any profiling and looks to be the same diameter as my father in law’s match heavy barrel. It’s not marked though so I emailed the company to see what they market it as.

As far as the “voluntary registration”, how do I do that without the HQL?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 189

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Originally Posted by knastera
    6) You can only transport regulated firearms from your house to common places where you use guns such as ranges, hunting, and gun stores. Don't stop anywhere along the way.
    There is nothing in the MD transport statute 4-203 about not stopping,. as opposed to other states' laws which specifically prohibit it.

This is debated ad nauseum here but the statute does not prohibit stops, no matter how many people here tell you that it does or not to.

Do what you feel comfortable with.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    There is nothing in the MD transport statute 4-203 about not stopping,. as opposed to other states' laws which specifically prohibit it.

This is debated ad nauseum here but the statute does not prohibit stops, no matter how many people here tell you not to.

Do what you feel comfortable with.

I agree with you on the statutory part. I'm not sure about how state troopers interpret it, which is why I mentioned the more cautionary approach.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Unless you tell them, they won't know if you have a firearm in your vehicle.

If asked if you do, you can say "nothing illegal." Ball is now in their court.

You don't have to consent to a search either.

Your choice on whether to grant permission I see no upside to doing that however.

IANAL

dmable44

Jul 4, 2018
    I don’t see a problem following the laws on transporting firearms. It would only be to the range and back.

Now with the registration, how do I register my Glock and AR-15 without needing the HQL. It seems to me that, according to the MSP website, an HQL is not required to register your firearms.

dmable44

Jul 4, 2018
    An HQL is only need to purchase a handgun, not register.

Register here

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...ision/Registration/VoluntaryRegistration.aspx

That’s what I thought. I’ve been to that link before and here’s my confusion with it. If I click voluntary registration it sends me to a portal in which I made an account with. The only thing I can do there is the 77R. If I click New resident it sends me to a place where it seems I need to create a new and different account, in which I have not done yet.

What do I do?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Go to the other portal. The 77r portal is just for dale and transfer not registration.

IIRC the HQL portalnus also forvregisytation.

It’s been several years since I have done this

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom