• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Bought one from PSA with Christmas money last week during their sale....got an email late last week saying their POLICY is not to sell these to MD residents, LE or FFL only. Great..... so now am going through my FFL to have them order it for me. Its gonna cost me a few bucks more, but should have in the next week or so.

Waffled between this and a Saiga pattern AK shotgun. Magazine change without having to rock into place cemented getting this one for me. Overall reviews on them look good. Looking forward to having this to play with soon.

Plan is to use in 3-Gun... I know it bumps me to Open class, but don't care, I'm not gonna win anyway, just wanna have fun...will probably put a red dot of some kind on it at some point.

Palmetto is a joke. I ordered 2 Ruger 10/22 compact rifles from them a few years ago. The FFL I picked (from their FFL list) is in WV and happens to be a veteran friend and a co-worker of mine. Palmetto called me and asked me to send a copy of my driver’s license to them. I sent it and they informed me that they couldn’t sell me the rifles because the FFL was in WV and I was a MD resident. I told them that was absurd because people can buy rifles from FFLs in other states as long as the rifles were legal to buy and own in the buyer’s home state. I told them that I’ve bought rifles and shotguns from gun shops in WV and PA and it was never an issue. I can see WV from my front yard and the PA line is 10 minutes away. Then they came back with the excuse that the rifles were banned in MD. I attempted to correct them on that and even emailed them the link to the Maryland gun licensing division to see for themselves. They still refused. At that point I requested an immediate refund since they immediately took the funds out of my account as soon as I placed the order. Of course that didn’t happen either…it took several days for the refund. I added them to the do not buy from category where Cheaper than Dirt and Grice gun shop among others are filed. I have passed up many decent deals from them on things due to their ignorance.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I purchased a VR80, took it to the range and fired 100 rounds through it. I took it home,cleaned it, and sold it. Although it functioned fine, it seemed more of a niche gun than something practical. I had thought about using it in informal matches and maybe trying some 3 gun with it. For me, I found the magazines too big, heavy, and bulky for such endeavors. The mags were also a pita to load. I wasn’t impressed. A tube fed semi auto shotgun would serve me better.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    I purchased a VR80, took it to the range and fired 100 rounds through it. I took it home,cleaned it, and sold it. Although it functioned fine, it seemed more of a niche gun than something practical. I had thought about using it in informal matches and maybe trying some 3 gun with it. For me, I found the magazines too big, heavy, and bulky for such endeavors. The mags were also a pita to load. I wasn’t impressed. A tube fed semi auto shotgun would serve me better.

Practical? That’s no fun.

I will use mine for some serious fun when the weather warms up. Also, the thought of loading that 19 round mag and having 20 rounds of 00 buckshot makes me feel warm and fuzzy having it for home defense :D

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Q - hasn’t anyone simply cut the angled plastic extension that forms the silly azz thumb, err, “Feinstein“-hole?

Thats my intention, rather than switching the OEM buffer tube out for a milspec just to put a normal butt stock on it …

Thread resurrect to share I found these RIA VR-80’s in black for $515 + shipping (but NO TAX!!! :party29:) AFTER REQUESTING LOWER PRICE VIA EMAIL from Dahlonega:

(tip: if you don’t already have a login setup w Dahlonega do that prior to requesting the lower price)

Had a chance to help a 3-gun buddy run 200 rds of 12ga game loads through one of these brand new, out-of-the-box RIA VR-80’s only after I’d bought two (2) of the KTS AK12’s (gen 1 for $250, gen 2 for $280) and I was so impressed with the lighter, slimmer VR-80 I ordered one while still on the firing line, using my phone …

I actually ordered a half dozen of the 19-rd mags (from PSA, iirc) which arrived days before the gun did … no range report today as I have a date with moving a cord plus of seasoned red oak :-(

Attachments

• IMG_5011.jpeg
      IMG_5011.jpeg
      156.9 KB · Views: 27
    • IMG_5010.jpeg
      IMG_5010.jpeg
      126.2 KB · Views: 27
    • IMG_5012.png
      IMG_5012.png
      87.5 KB · Views: 26
    • IMG_8629.jpeg
      IMG_8629.jpeg
      316.1 KB · Views: 28
    • IMG_8634.jpeg
      IMG_8634.jpeg
      521.6 KB · Views: 22
    Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ETA: my intention is to simply cut the “Feinstein” piece of plastic off at yellow lines and file, sand, smooth, finish the edges left post-cut …

Attachments

• IMG_5012.jpeg
      IMG_5012.jpeg
      17.3 KB · Views: 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads