• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Used to hang out and race my Trans Am there, this sucks.

0-AEF5894-B7-E9-4-F51-8819-2-E82-AD521-A3-F.png

4-AE94-F9-C-F26-C-49-A0-B85-A-E0-CF01-A0-EC33.png

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I was there just about every Friday night in the summers of '00-'02. Started tapering off after that, but still was a regular. I've made countless runs down that track. Very sad indeed. Once 75&80 closed, Capitol was the closest track to me (Mason Dixon is probably easier to get to though). Even though I haven't been in quite some time, it was nice to know it was there in case I had a hankerin'.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    yes capital on saturday , cecil on sunday , did the bracket thing for awhile . sad to hear , hope someone else can pick up the lease .

Also, as an FYI, and making absolutely zero sense to me, Cecil has decided NOT to run their Sunday bracket race program this year.

I had planned to run the Sunday brackets, instead of the monthly Saturday Streetcar Shootouts I've been doing for the last 5 years. I'll probably just "semi-retire" and only do occasional Wednesday & Saturday Test & Tunes for 2020...The Streetcar Shootouts are 10-12 hours, minimum, the last year or 2. Couple that with what is surely going to ADD more racers, due to Capitol's closure, can only make it longer...and, just too long of a day for me... :sad20:

I'm puzzled that Cecil didn't take advantage of the newly homeless bracket racers that now either have to go to MIR, or Maple Grove.

All over Facebook, including Jimmy Bradshaw (who ran it the last 7 years), is saying Capitol is DONE. :tdown:
    Honestly, I never liked Capitol myself, or 75/80, for that matter...but still hate to see them slowly but surely disappearing. It was the 1st place I ever drag raced, back in 1981, in my Mom's Camaro, lol.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Also, as an FYI, and making absolutely zero sense to me, Cecil has decided NOT to run their Sunday bracket race program this year.

I had planned to run the Sunday brackets, instead of the monthly Saturday Streetcar Shootouts I've been doing for the last 5 years. I'll probably just "semi-retire" and only do occasional Wednesday & Saturday Test & Tunes for 2020...The Streetcar Shootouts are 10-12 hours, minimum, the last year or 2. Couple that with what is surely going to ADD more racers, due to Capitol's closure, can only make it longer...and, just too long of a day for me... :sad20:

I'm puzzled that Cecil didn't take advantage of the newly homeless bracket racers that now either have to go to MIR, or Maple Grove.

All over Facebook, including Jimmy Bradshaw (who ran it the last 7 years), is saying Capitol is DONE. :tdown:
    Honestly, I never liked Capitol myself, or 75/80, for that matter...but still hate to see them slowly but surely disappearing. It was the 1st place I ever drag raced, back in 1981, in my Mom's Camaro, lol.

I can't figure out what Ceil is thinking this year either with doing away with their bracket program. Depending on which direction the racers traveled to Capital from don't forget about Mason Dixon Dragway in Hagerstown/Boonsboro area.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Strange about Cecil. Bracket racers were there bread and butter?
    Me wonder if they not be in financial trouble or just looking to get out and sell to developer? Sucks either way.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I can't figure out what Ceil is thinking this year either with doing away with their bracket program. Depending on which direction the racers traveled to Capital from don't forget about Mason Dixon Dragway in Hagerstown/Boonsboro area.

Me neither. If I want to bracket race, aside from the once a month shootout, that will surely be jam-packed now, instead of being an hour away from Cecil, or Capitol, I'm pretty much 2 hours away from MIR, Maple Grove, or Mason-Dixon.

Strange about Cecil. Bracket racers were there bread and butter?
    Me wonder if they not be in financial trouble or just looking to get out and sell to developer? Sucks either way.

They've said for the last 3-4 years that there have been less and less racers there for the Sunday brackets.

I run the Pro Street class in the shootouts, and there's normally 55-65 cars entered (just in Pro Street), even more in both the Super Street & Pro Dial classes, and there's NINE more classes...place is packed. I have a reserved parking spot, so don't have to get there as soon as the gates open. I get there about 9-ish A.M., and usually am there until close to 9-ish P.M.....a looooooong day, when spending most of it waiting to run.

Couple hundred cars racing, easy.

In October, I drove up for a Sunday bracket race day, planning just to watch, and ended up entering the "Street Legal" bracket class. I was one of SEVEN cars in the class. Even with 2 rounds of "buy-backs", I went to the finals. The car count for the Super Pro and Pro classes was so low, that they had to combine them...maybe 75-80 cars TOTAL (all classes) racing...Got there at my same 9-ish a.m., went 4 rounds, lost in finals, got my pic taken, a trophy, and my runner-up check, and was back home drinking beer by 3 p.m.

What's ironic is that more than a few of the ones that were on Cecil's FB page bitching about the bracket program going away, were not even there for the last one...

You can't have all the overhead...the insurance, the concession stands open, all the track workers working, the tow truck guy, the ambulance people, and all the others that make the place run getting paid, and nothing left for the track owner...if there's no profit, there's no incentive to stay open.

If the tracks aren't supported by the racers (& the fans), they go away....

Capitol was destined for closure. The company that owns the property had no plans or desire to stay open for years to come. They want to sell, and make money...because we need more house, ya know...

75-80 is still in limbo, but since they c an't build homes there, supposedly, the property owner said it still will NEVER re-open.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I grew up listening to the track .... in Davidsonville! love it, will miss it. living in Crofton neighbors will hear it and say they do not like it, I flat out ask them why the fvck did you move here then! Many comments in my Crofton community wanted Pittman voted in so the construction would end, now they know how campaign lies work.

New Bowie, I mean Crofton and AACO for that matter, has gone down hill and has not hit the bottom yet.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    Figures I build a new engine and Capital closes. I heard rumors all last year it was going to close but everyone kept saying they weren't true. Then heard someone else was going to takeover. I liked Capital since it was a IHRA sanctioned track. Mason Dixon is nice but now have to deal with NHRA rules.
    Capital will probably be like 75/80 and just sit and decay.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Rumor has it that Capital is actually going to re-open!
    Edit: I see now that it mentioned in another thread about 75-80 Dragway.

Attachments

• CAPITOL.jpg
      CAPITOL.jpg
      114.8 KB · Views: 314

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Their promotion group has been posting vids of them cleaning it up, painting, taking test pulls to get the surface ready.
    I'll probably go on Friday night to watch and have a beer.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    My brother is talking about taking his Charger up Friday night. I'll probably tag along.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Let me know if it's worth the $20 spectator fee. I grew up at that track on test and tune nights! :D

Their promotion group has been posting vids of them cleaning it up, painting, taking test pulls to get the surface ready.
    I'll probably go on Friday night to watch and have a beer.

My brother is talking about taking his Charger up Friday night. I'll probably tag along.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I grew up listening to the track .... in Davidsonville! love it, will miss it. living in Crofton neighbors will hear it and say they do not like it, I flat out ask them why the fvck did you move here then! Many comments in my Crofton community wanted Pittman voted in so the construction would end, now they know how campaign lies work.

New Bowie, I mean Crofton and AACO for that matter, has gone down hill and has not hit the bottom yet.

Exactly what I said when idiots bitched about moving near Friendship Itl and the noise. :mad54:

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Exactly what I said when idiots bitched about moving near Friendship Itl and the noise. :mad54:

It's the same damned thing. I'm probably about a mile away as the crow flies. Someone posted a thread to Nextdoor about the reopening and the Karens started (predictably) coming out of the woodwork to bitch about the noise and how their dogs are scared.

The same ones make the most noise about fireworks any day other than 7/4 and even on 7/4 if they're being set off later than Karen thinks they should be.

:sad20:

-Rob

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    If all goes well, I hope to get down there tomorrow for some Test and Tune. Cecil County Dragway has their big Labor Day weekend long race, which doesn't have any "Sportsman" classes, so figure I will try the new old Capitol. Watching live feeds from there seem to show they are still far away from organized, but I want to try and support him if I can.

Attachments

• TA at scso...6..5..21.jpg
      TA at scso...6..5..21.jpg
      96.6 KB · Views: 152

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads