• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ewarfare

Feb 18, 2009
    Lexington Park, MD
    Can anyone recommend a good set of affordable binoculars? I just need something that will allow me to clearly observe groupings in daylight at 100 yards. I read that 10x is the highest you can comfortably view without a tripod, but I'll probably be supported by a table.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    if your intended use is solely for target spotting, IMHO you get the best bang for your optical buck with a spotting scope of some kind. there are many different scopes (or binoculars, for that matter) and with modern transmission coatings you can get some that will do the job pretty well for quite reasonable prices. optics are also a category with which, if you are patient, you can get some very good deals on sales.

Sportsman's guide usually has a decent selection and the prices are occasionally competitive (see http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/section/sl.aspx?s=7282&gif=Y). there are a bunch of other sources as well -- google is your friend.

the 10x limit is a pretty good one for hand holding, though less a problem if you have a tripod or are well braced. but pay some attention to aperture as well (diameter of the objective, the lens closest to your target). The larger the aperture the brighter and clearer the image. High magnification with a small aperture is not a good mix.

the basic rule of thumb is very simple, though -- really cheap optics are seldom a bargain.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I agree with beltbuckle, you can get a good spotting scope complete with tripod for the same price if not a little cheaper than a good pair of binoculars.

-Z

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I agree with the recommendation of the others to get a spotting scope. But here's an important point for anyone buying binoculars. If you wear glasses everyday or just shooting glasses at the range, a longer eye relief is needed. I bought a pair of Brunton eterna compact 8X that has a 18.5mm long eye relief. They are very comfortable to use while wearing glasses. Brunton recommends at least 15mm with glasses.

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=310

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I got a NcStar 20-60x50 spotting scope for on the cheap at the gun show in Greencastle, PA back in February. Got a free camo hat too! :thumbsup:

edit: if you've already got a camera tripod, the spotting scopes screw right on. I prefer mine up on a tripod well behind the line and out of the way.

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I got a NcStar 20-60x50 spotting scope for on the cheap at the gun show in Greencastle, PA back in February. Got a free camo hat too! :thumbsup:

edit: if you've already got a camera tripod, the spotting scopes screw right on. I prefer mine up on a tripod well behind the line and out of the way.

Do you mind saying how much you paid?
    Might need a second job to save up for all the goodies I want to get!

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Do you mind saying how much you paid?
    Might need a second job to save up for all the goodies I want to get!

honestly, i forget, but it was less than $100 and I'm pretty sure it's this exact model: http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-...e-green-lens-with-tripod-laser-ng206060g.html

while it's not the best one out there for sure, you can spend hundreds on a nice spotting scope, i feel it's WELL WORTH $60 IMHO. highly recommended as a first spotting scope. beats the heck out of the cheapo 20x50 i found at walmart awhile back. i also use it to look at the moon and other heavenly bodies.

this one comes with a tripod (hey! mine didn't! just a hat!)

i have no idea what the laser is for. i took mine off and lost it.

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    honestly, i forget, but it was less than $100 and I'm pretty sure it's this exact model: http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-...e-green-lens-with-tripod-laser-ng206060g.html

while it's not the best one out there for sure, you can spend hundreds on a nice spotting scope, i feel it's WELL WORTH $60 IMHO. highly recommended as a first spotting scope. beats the heck out of the cheapo 20x50 i found at walmart awhile back. i also use it to look at the moon and other heavenly bodies.

this one comes with a tripod (hey! mine didn't! just a hat!)

i have no idea what the laser is for. i took mine off and lost it.

Sweet! Thanks!

ewarfare

Feb 18, 2009
    Lexington Park, MD
    I suppose a spotting scope would be more appropriate for my needs. Not to mention it looks like you get more magnification compared to a set of binoculars at the same price. It may not be the best brand, but as long as I can clearly see bullet holes at 100 yards, I'll be happy. The Ncstar is definitely on the top of my list.

Thanks for the suggestions so far...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom