• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I picked up a bunch the other day at the range. I went to put primers in them and some (Federal) had small pistol primer holes and the others (Sig) had large pistol primer holes. They both were labeled "45 Auto".

What's up with that?

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I picked up a bunch the other day at the range. I went to put primers in them and some (Federal) had small pistol primer holes and the others (Sig) had large pistol primer holes. They both were labeled "45 Auto".

What's up with that?

Past few years they have been a switch to small pistol primers by some manufacturers. Research I have done is there is no load change for reloads, only the primer change.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    This is the reloader’s headache. Having to sort small vs large pistol primers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As I understand it, it is mainly due to "green" ammo. The lead free primers are only made in small, so they changed to small primers in .45, which is the only major pistol round that they wanted to do "green" and used a large primer.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I set the smalls aside and reset with small primers at the ed of the session.

Last edited:

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    As I understand it, it is mainly due to "green" ammo. The lead free primers are only made in small, so they changed to small primers in .45, which is the only major pistol round that they wanted to do "green" and used a large primer.

New stuff, you are correct. But historically a lot of “match” 45 acp ammo was manufactured with small primers. There are guys who go out of their way to find small primer 45 brass.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    New stuff, you are correct. But historically a lot of “match” 45 acp ammo was manufactured with small primers. There are guys who go out of their way to find small primer 45 brass.

Prior to "green" ammo, I have never seen small primer brass.

When was this common?

I have been reloading .45 since 1977.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Most people in my club want large primer brass. I did not get a .45 until late in life (won it at a match). So since the only ammo I reload uses small primer I am more than happy to take any small primer brass they want to toss. I don't use a big press and changing to large primer is a pain.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    I got a great deal on a Dillon 550 so one set for large primers and the other for small ones. When I need to load some small premiered brass I just switch the head to the other machine. Done in seconds
    I already had one

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I'll trade large primer for small primer as well. I dont have to change my primer sytem on my press..... and I can use my primer filler toooooo
    PM if interested. I've got prob a 5 gallon bucket full of LP 45 brass to trade

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For my 650 I have two complete priming systems.

So 2 bolts, swap the primer system. Pull the primer ram (unscrews) and put in the other one. Done. 2 minute or so.

Gunner220

Jul 24, 2012
    Blazer Brass has those evil small primer pockets. Sorting them before using a progressive is good advice. Swaging a large primer into a small pocket could get interesting.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I think originally Winchester came out with "Win NT"
    headstamped ammo, ie: non-toxic" or the PC term
    "green" Emailed Speer a long time ago about these and
    they suggested to load the same as Large primers. They
    can be a pain, sort them when your checking your brass,
    basically use them as "shoot n loose" ammo.

-Rock

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Sort and trade. I've found that since most .45 ACP reloaders prefer large primers, I could usually get a 2 for 1 trade. I haven't needed any .45 brass in quite some time as it lasts through many reloading cycles and is pretty easily recovered after firing.

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    I sort and use both but I typically deprime an prime by hand. Weird it is kinda relaxing.
    Just reloaded 300 small primer cases and will test out later today or tomorrow

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I got a great deal on a Dillon 550 so one set for large primers and the other for small ones. When I need to load some small premiered brass I just switch the head to the other machine. Done in seconds
    I already had one

I have 2 650’s and found out 1 is a tenth of an inch longer. Had to reseat 300 9mm rounds after I switched the tool heads and didn’t check.

tomcat7

Dec 1, 2018
    Callaway, MD
    I have been loading .45 ACP since I can remember and my Dad did back in the 60s before me. We only had brass with large pistol primers on the .45 ACP so a little confused here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom