• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 26, 2009
    Harford Co.
    I am getting close to getting my C&R and thought it would be interesting to ask collectors about their favorite C&R rifles. Give me your first three picks for your collection.

Thanks

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I just sent my C&R paperwork out earlier today, so I suppose I'll bite...

Mosin Nagant - already have an M44, so either an M91 or maybe even an M38.
    Makarov - I've already got a carbine in 9x19 and just got a Bersa pistol in 9x17, so I guess it makes sense...
    Nagant revolver - Strikes me as a kinda weird design, firing a kinda weird cartridge, and I'll have enough other Russian weapons before I get to this one that I might as well make a museum out of it.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    My top three aren't rifles. For that matter, my top ten aren't rifles.

So I just asked myself, "Guy," (I call myself Guy, 'cause that's what everybody else calls me), "Guy, if you aren't all that interested in shoulder weapons, why do you have so many?" And of course, I answer truthfully (because I can't lie to myself - if I could, I'd probably be a liberal). I say, "Because I have the studied, seriously thoughtful self-control of a hyperactive ferret on meth."

I've got to get ahold of myself.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    If on a budget:

1) Mosin
    2) 1895 Steyr Mannlicher (heh heh, I said Mannlicher)
    3) 98 Mauser copy

If on a budget AND on a budget for ammo to fire in the rifle:
    1) Mosin
    2) Mosin
    3) SKS

Price is no big problem because of investment value and not expensive ammo to fire:
    1) M1 Garand
    2) M1 Carbine
    3) 1903A3

Fun and cheap to buy and shoot:
    1) SKS (still)
    2) Mosin
    3) SKS in poor shape

Price is no problem because of investment value, but ammo price is also not a problem:
    1) Krag
    2) Numerous other guns I cannot list right now
    3) ditto

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Money is no object:

1. 1941 Johnson
    2. Krag Jorgenson Carbine
    3. 1895 Winchester

Budget:

1. K31
    2. SKS
    3. Enfield Mk. V

Moderately priced:

1. M1 Carbine
    2. 03A3
    3. Garand

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Better Guns:
    1) M1 Garand
    2) M1 Carbine
    3) Luger

Cheaper Guns:
    1) Nagant Revolver
    2) Mosin Nagant
    3) SKS or Swiss K31

Best bang for your buck:
    1) CZ-82
    2) Swiss K31
    3) Nagant Revolver or CZ-52

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Enfield Mk 1 jungle carbine in .303
    FN SAFN49 in .30-06
    Tokarev M1938 sniper in 7.62x54

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Limiting it to fairly common C&R rifles,

Mosin variants-cheap to buy, cheap to shoot with plentiful surplus ammo, most bang for your buck there is(pun intended). There are

Garand-there are only so many still around and prices will always creep up, ammo is cheap through the CMP, and there are a ton of matches you can only shoot with this rifle, it's an American Icon, and a dream to shoot, every collector should have at least one.

SKS-still relatively inexpensive rifle and ammo, fun and easy to shoot, there are a ton of variants with different features.

Enfield no4 MK2-there are still some Irish contract rifles floating around, if you get one, they are all basically mint condition, and look like a brand new rifle, there are a few subtle improvements over WWI and WWII era enfields, they are very practical, and with some practice can get a lot of shots off fast, few other bolt actions hold as many rounds or can be fires as quickly as the Enfields. The 303 cartridge is very soft shooting, power wise right between 30-30 and 308 win, but has a lot of history behind it, and has probably taken more game than any other cartridge on the planet, good surplus ammo is scarce, but there are a lot of major manufacturers that make ammo for it.

Enfield #5 mk 1 jungle carbine- the no 4 mk 1s little brother, same fast action, same 10rd mags, but a lot lighter and shorter, most examples anymore are kinda beat up, but they are a lot of fun to shoot.

K31-purely swiss, innovative straight pull action, wonderful 2 stage trigger, decent sights, and capable of impressive groups, surplus ammo is expensive, but match grade, has similar ballistics to 308.

K98 or M48 mauser-Perhaps the most influential rifle of all time the German K98 is accurate and immensely reliable with it's controlled round feeding and gigantic extractor, good examples are getting harder to find, but the shorter Yugo M48 that is based of the Mauser design is currently cheap, and nice clean rifles are plentiful. The 8mm round these rifles fire is pretty stout, on par with 30-06, there is some surplus floating around, but like the 303 brit, the 8mm has worldwide clout as a big game cartridge, and commercial loadings are plentiful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom