• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I'm looking at picking one of these up and wanted to see if anyone had one and had any thoughts on it. Also, to confirm that it is MD legal.
    https://volquartsen.com/products/1299-black-mamba
    Their description says that it is the LLV upper(which is the regulated part on the 22/45.) The lower is a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 grip frame.

The LLV is listed under MD legal handguns.

VOLQUARTSEN
    Clear
    Filter by model, model number, or caliber
    Model Model Number Caliber
    LLV N/A 22 LR

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Not sure about the MD legality, but have shot the VQ Scorpion, and own a MK4 22/45 lightweight with VQ trigger, really really would be cool to have a pistol that combined both. It's an awesome pistol, IMO same leauge(and cost) as a S&W 41, but some cool added features.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I have a bunch of the tandemkross and vq stuff on my MKII 22/45 light and have always been pleased with the pistol from stock to modified.
    Thanks for the input.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    Should be fine. I picked up a Scorpion from Rimfiresports.com. Really nice guy that runs it and the best pricing I could find. VQ makes great stuff.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    It's probably fine. Make sure your FFL agrees before you buy it, though.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Pricey, but if I was serious into shooting rimfire steel challenge I could see getting one. Doesn't look like a huge price increase over the Scorpion, either.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I learned my lesson with 22lr compensators. I will never put another one on a gun. Basically doesn’t do anything and it gets gunked up with lead really quickly. Cleaning 22 pistols is already bad enough and having to scrape out the compensator resulted in me never shooting the gun.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    Have you tried the lead pulverizer from Volquartsen? Might change your mind. Not like a comp does much on a 22 though. Easier to take it off and put a thread protector on.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Just a thought . . .

https://www.browning.com/products/f.../buck-mark-field-target-suppressor-ready.html

Then you have $800 to $1000+ left over for a suppressor and optics/sights.:D
    The VQs are basically competition pistols. This is like saying "don't buy that STI, buy an RIA instead". Very different segments of the market. Dedicated competition shooters tend to put a higher premium on that last 10%-20% of performance.

If I could ever convince my son to do the rimfire SC thing, and he got into it, I'd get him a VQ Scorp.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    "The VQs are competition pistols. This is like saying "don't buy that STI, buy an RIA instead". Very different segments of the market. Dedicated competition shooters tend to put a higher premium on that last 10%-20% of performance."

Yes. Absolutely, but . . .

1) As the OP did not seem to indicate a desire to compete, or ask about precision performance, and wishes to add a suppressor, it's not a leap to consider that the last % of performance may not be worth 2.5X the cost for this application.

2) I have an older (no threaded barrel) Buckmark Target 5.5. It is ridiculously accurate.

3) The "leftover" $800-$1000 can buy a LOT of improvements and customization.

But those Mamba's sure look cool.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I appreciate the advice on the buckmark and a nice one of those will make it on my list as well. I love .22s. I don't really have a clear use in mind.
    I have shot varied competitions but nothing rimfire yet. While it is certainly a possibility, I just want something really nice to plink with as an upgrade to my mark II, Mark III, 22/45, and 22/45 lite. I've gone the route of making upgrades to those pistols and have been happy with the results as well. I won't be selling anything. I would just like this one as well.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you can hunt up a Steel Challenge match that does rimfire, those are very easy to get into and quite addictive. Just make sure you've got a holster, some mags, and a pistol that's reliable. :)

mattonmission

Dec 17, 2019
    Confirmed with Roster Board Admin back in May that all Volquartsen handguns engraved LLV in 22 LR are approved and legal for sale in MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom