• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    Hi, so I am in the market for a quality HBAR stamped 16" AR15 barrel (fluted for reduced weight if possible) to meet MD requirements. I want the shot to shot consistency of an HBAR profile, chrome lined for a SHTF rifle if need be, a midlength gas system. The upper it's getting swapped out from has a standard govt. profile 16" carbine gassed barrel, which is a no go in MD. I want to transfer the current residing FSB to the new barrel.

Any solid recommendations?

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    LWRC barrels are excellent and fluted and are made in MD.

Daniel Defense barrels are also excellent. Their “strength to weight” barrel is marketed as a heavy barrel, but I don’t think they offer fluting.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Hi, so I am in the market for a quality HBAR stamped 16" AR15 barrel (fluted for reduced weight if possible) to meet MD requirements. I want the shot to shot consistency of an HBAR profile, chrome lined for a SHTF rifle if need be, a midlength gas system. The upper it's getting swapped out from has a standard govt. profile 16" carbine gassed barrel, which is a no go in MD. I want to transfer the current residing FSB to the new barrel.

Any solid recommendations?

To be 100% sure, buy the Centurion Arms 16 or 14.5 RECCE barrel, there is a drop down option giving you the choice to have it engraved with HBAR.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Needs to be stamped, or marketed with the words "HBAR" or "heavy" used in the description.

Personally, if something was very clearly an HBAR ( straight 0.91" under handguards), but not marked or described as such, to me that's sufficient. My opinion.

There are many heavy mediums that are a heavy profile in relative terms, but that's the middle ground I am not comfortable testing.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    +1 for this particular barrel

This barrel seems to have blackened feed ramps, not chrome lined or what-have-you. Are these smooth feeding and reliable? Are these M4 feed ramps? This will be a SHTF rifle and I need it to perform under adverse conditions.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Faxon fanboy here. I have several, they are tack drivers. I stopped cleaning them a while ago, they still run and are tack drivers.

my 0.02 is that the system you have is reliable (barrel, bolt, bolt carrier, lower, buffer, spring, etc). You can take a great barrel and make it malfunction with an out-of-spec lower or bad bolt carrier. Those little pins on your gas block come out, and psssst, your dead. On the other hand, I bought a BCA barrel (once), it would shoot everything I put through it, but I could not hit an elephant at 5 yards.
    I exaggerate, but only a little. Take great parts and put them together badly, or with el cheapo parts, and you have a piece of shit rifle.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    This barrel seems to have blackened feed ramps, not chrome lined or what-have-you. Are these smooth feeding and reliable? Are these M4 feed ramps? This will be a SHTF rifle and I need it to perform under adverse conditions.

The feed ramps are M4 ramps. Barrel is chrome lined, feed ramps are not. It is a very reliable barrel.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    How much of a benefit do you get from a top notch barrel? Are the groups noticeably better?

Personally I don't think it's worth going for top of the line unless you are also spending top dollar on ammunition as well. For me personally, I can tell you a mid-range barrel will do equally as well as a fancy custom ordered one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom