Can someone outline the TX course to MD Hunting License process for me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    Hello all,

Finally looking to take the leap to getting my hunting license this year. Have a .50 beowulf that should be a fun deer gun :D

Anyway, I recall a thread on here years ago that outlined the TX online course approach to meet all MD hunting requirements for adults. Seemed easy enough and avoided some of the hassles of in person requirements.

I did a search but can't seem to find that thread any longer. Is this still a viable approach to getting your hunting license?

If so, can someone outline the process for me? Give me a link to the course and where I provide that information to get my license?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Interesting question is the .50 Beowulf considered a rifle cartridge or a "straight walled cartridge"? Meaning can it be used in the Shotgun and straight walled cartridge hunting area or only in the rifle counties?

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Does this loophole still work? It does say something about being a Texas resident. If so, which do I choose:

"Please pick an online-only course from the independent vendors below. Fees differ, based on individual vendor pricing. Carefully read and understand the terms, prior to completing and paying for the course you select.

Hunter-ed.com Texas
    HunterEdCourse.com
    HUNTERcourse.com
    HUNTINGsmart.com
    NRA Hunter Education. "

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    Does this loophole still work? It does say something about being a Texas resident. If so, which do I choose:

"Please pick an online-only course from the independent vendors below. Fees differ, based on individual vendor pricing. Carefully read and understand the terms, prior to completing and paying for the course you select.

Hunter-ed.com Texas
    HunterEdCourse.com
    HUNTERcourse.com
    HUNTINGsmart.com
    NRA Hunter Education. "

Loophole is a strong word as you are getting a hunter's safety training class with reciprocity. Now the Texas resident thing I do not know about.

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Loophole is a strong word as you are getting a hunter's safety training class with reciprocity. Now the Texas resident thing I do not know about.

I just mean a way to avoid the field day requirement....I guess loophole isn't the right word.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown

Hunter-ed.com Texas
    HunterEdCourse.com
    HUNTERcourse.com
    HUNTINGsmart.com
    NRA Hunter Education. "

I used HunterEdCourse.com back in 2018, it doesn’t seem to mention anything about being a resident on its site. https://www.hunteredcourse.com/texas/

DNR is still accepting them since it let me add my certificate number in Compass just this morning. I’m guessing the certificate numbers can be looked up since it didn’t ask me to supply a state or type of course taken, just cert number and date received. As soon as I added the certificate number my DNR id updated to show the certification.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Hello all,

Finally looking to take the leap to getting my hunting license this year. Have a .50 beowulf that should be a fun deer gun :D

Anyway, I recall a thread on here years ago that outlined the TX online course approach to meet all MD hunting requirements for adults. Seemed easy enough and avoided some of the hassles of in person requirements.

I did a search but can't seem to find that thread any longer. Is this still a viable approach to getting your hunting license?

If so, can someone outline the process for me? Give me a link to the course and where I provide that information to get my license?

Why not just take the class in Maryland?

https://register-ed.com/programs/maryland/88-maryland-hunter-education-classroom-course

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    Does this help? Don't know anything about the process. Never tried it myself.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=132416

YES! That is the thread. I assumed "Texas" was in the title but it isnt.

I'm running through the Texas class now. I picked the hunteredcourse.com one just because it was the cheapest.

For those wondering about the .50 Beowulf - everything I'm reading qualifies it as a straight wall cartridge and I plan to use it in a "shotgun only" county now that they've changed it up.

For those wondering why I'm not just following the MD process - there werent any available sessions convenient to me and I just don't see a need to go to a class if I can do everything online.

Will followup if I run into any issues.

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    I love this site more and more everyday. Time away from the wife, 1, and 4 year old is tough to come by...that's why this thread caught my attention. Thanks all!

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    Just wanted to update everything that all still appears to be well with the TX online course approach.

Here is what I did:
    1. Completed the TX online course. I did the cheapest one (https://www.hunteredcourse.com/texas/) and it did take me about 6 hours total. Extremely easy but you do have to watch a bunch of videos from start to end and manually go to the next section.
    2. Received a completion email from the vendor with a temporary certificate. I believe I read somewhere that I would get the "official" TX DNR certification number within 30 days of completion.
    3. Two days later I received the TX DNR certification number in a separate email directly from TX Parks and Wildlife. Had a link to look up my certification and print out the card.
    4. Went to MD compass site, logged in and went to "Certifications" link/page. Selected "hunter education and safety certification" from the dropdown box and added the TX certification number. Took it without issues.
    5. Went to "Purchase New License" link/page and purchased hunting license without issue.

Don't know if I just got lucky with the 2 day turnaround or what but everything went very smoothly and it was nice to just take an online course and be done with it.

Thanks for all of the help here on the forum.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Not a fan,,
    I sat through my nephews, and all 3 of my kids hunter safety course, it was 2 days of classroom and ~2 hours of field.
    An online course can not even begin to come close to what was taught in the classroom by seasoned professionals. more than 1/2 of the saftey and wisdom that was taught was "off the skript"
    This is basically a"participation trophy" of hunting saftey courses.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Not a fan,,
    I sat through my nephews, and all 3 of my kids hunter safety course, it was 2 days of classroom and ~2 hours of field.
    An online course can not even begin to come close to what was taught in the classroom by seasoned professionals. more than 1/2 of the saftey and wisdom that was taught was "off the skript"
    This is basically a"participation trophy" of hunting saftey courses.

I agree. I took my son to a hunter safety course when we lived in Alabama. The instructor was great. He covered all the safety items and he spent a lot of time on deer hunting. Where to put stands, what to plant, herd management, etc. We learned an aweful lot during that course. He was also the county nuisance animal control contractor, he was the one they called to come and take those 12 foot blind alligators out of the neighborhood ponds!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes . For people that actually don't know anything , and want to learn , in person is best .

TX Online only is a worthwhile niche , for generally knowledgeable people who need an arbitrary piece of paper .

The Md " on line " actually makes the overall situation worse . ( Number of field days about same . More prospective instructees , since they can take on line written part without timing commitment . Leads to more extreme bottle neck for Field Day ,than used to be for the in person class slot .)

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Or the worst case: Those that THINK they know everything, because their daddy who thought he knew everything showed him, takes the online course, gets a lic and knows nothing while heading into the field knowing nothing, Thinking they know everything,,, I have met plenty of them "Good ole boys"

Yes . For people that actually don't know anything , and want to learn , in person is best .

TX Online only is a worthwhile niche , for generally knowledgeable people who need an arbitrary piece of paper .

The Md " on line " actually makes the overall situation worse . ( Number of field days about same . More prospective instructees , since they can take on line written part without timing commitment . Leads to more extreme bottle neck for Field Day ,than used to be for the in person class slot .)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I guess I am biased. I liked the MD online course + field day. The time commitment was the reason it was much better for me. In part because of when I was taking it also. My only options where a >1hr drive for me. It was basically that or wait till next hunting season (I took the class in mid September), or at least not till probably December.

Didn't seem too packed. Instructor was great. Didn't seem to be a collection of total idiots in the class (*looks around* Ohhhhh. Maybe that means I was the idiot :lol2:).

My 2 cents is I don't think there should be a 100% online only class. There were no serious idiots in my class, but there sure were a few people that the instructor had to guide them towards being safe. Not sure what the mix is for actual TX 100% online class, but at least in mine, I'd guess maybe 50% had never held a gun before and at least one person who sure never learned how to safely handle a gun (not sure if the instruction would have stuck or not, but there was a "ohhhh. I never realize that. That makes sense" reaction).

Yeah I'd bet at least 3/4ths of people could do a 100% online class, but that doesn't warm and fuzzy me thinking 1 in 4 wouldn't be safe.

Of course even with a completely traditional class, you still end up with some idiots. Just can't help thinking the percentage is a little higher (intentionally or unintentionally idiots) when there is no in-person instruction (which is how some people learn better, and also has direct feedback then).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom