• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    If you fly one over my house it will be shot down, I has to inform my neighbor he does not have the right to fly it over my property and hover around. Well he did not listen and Mr. Wrist rocket took it out. Damn the bad luck!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If you fly one over my house it will be shot down, I has to inform my neighbor he does not have the right to fly it over my property and hover around. Well he did not listen and Mr. Wrist rocket took it out. Damn the bad luck!

While there's grounds for a complaint about disturbing peace/property, know that knocking an aircraft out of the air - even a half-pound plastic drone - is a federal felony.

There's considerable reading for you to do on just how much of the atmosphere over your house you legitimately have the right to call "yours." Obviously, people fly over houses all the time. You have no grounds to say that an airplane at 4,000 feet, or a drone at 400 feet can't traverse your property. Hovering one outside your kitchen window at 4 feet or 14 is another matter, mostly from a safety point of view (FAA-wise). From a nuisance/privacy point of view, that's a matter for the local PD, not the FAA. But shooting one down is absolutely grounds for a felony conviction, and no more guns for you ever. Worth it, vs. simply having a conversation on the matter?

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    While there's grounds for a complaint about disturbing peace/property, know that knocking an aircraft out of the air - even a half-pound plastic drone - is a federal felony.

There's considerable reading for you to do on just how much of the atmosphere over your house you legitimately have the right to call "yours." Obviously, people fly over houses all the time. You have no grounds to say that an airplane at 4,000 feet, or a drone at 400 feet can't traverse your property. Hovering one outside your kitchen window at 4 feet or 14 is another matter, mostly from a safety point of view (FAA-wise). From a nuisance/privacy point of view, that's a matter for the local PD, not the FAA. But shooting one down is absolutely grounds for a felony conviction, and no more guns for you ever. Worth it, vs. simply having a conversation on the matter?

It was hovering 10 feet above the ground with a camera in my back yard. Peeping toms are also illegal. We did have a previous conversation but bone heads do not listen. I did make a complaint with the local PD they picked up the drone and my neighbor sad it was not his. Well they looked up the registration number and bingo he lied. The LEO came back and wanted to know if I wanted to press charges. I said lets go over to his house and have a sit down. I did not press charges however the LEO made it clear that he was in the wrong. As far as Federal law I have a close friend that works for the FAA and he said I was well with in my rights. Especially since it was low and could damage property or injury someone.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It was hovering 10 feet above the ground with a camera in my back yard. Peeping toms are also illegal. We did have a previous conversation but bone heads do not listen. I did make a complaint with the local PD they picked up the drone and my neighbor sad it was not his. Well they looked up the registration number and bingo he lied. The LEO came back and wanted to know if I wanted to press charges. I said lets go over to his house and have a sit down. I did not press charges however the LEO made it clear that he was in the wrong. As far as Federal law I have a close friend that works for the FAA and he said I was well with in my rights. Especially since it was low and could damage property or injury someone.

Understand that what I was responding to was that often-repeated "if one of those things flies over my house I'm shooting it down!" threat. It's just not that simple, though people frequently dish out that overly-simplistic comment, and it's worth cautioning folks about it.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Trees, yes. Phone and electric lines... you'd think I know considering the lines that run to my house in my backyard but I'd never had it even get close to them. When you're looking at models, you should be able to see which have sensors on the bodies for front, back, side, and top. And yes, collision avoidance is a thing.

The ONLY time I've crashed it from about 12' in teh air was when I flew it BEFORE letting it sync with GPS. It was 100% my mistake for not being patient and it started drifting until it hit a wall. Replaced the propellers (which I had purchased a dozen as spares) and back up and running.

Sounds like something I'd do. Thanks for the info.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va

1 inch tall peoples lives matter! ;)

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    No camera and I don't really care to own a drone. However a friend of mine does have a Piper Cub with a video camera in it!

400wellgood.jpg

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD

I'm a big believer in thinking the best of people. If someone buzzes my house with a drone once, I'd let it slide. Twice and I'd want to have a talk with the folks that are invading my space without permission.

The third time the drone would be toast and anyone coming to retrieve it would be treated as any other trespasser on my property. Peeping Tom laws trump any federal privilege you may think you have with your FAA license / registration.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Peeping Tom laws trump any federal privilege you may think you have with your FAA license / registration.

The two really don’t have anything to do with each other. Much like you can’t just shoot a peeping Tom dead for trespassing in your yard, as tempting as it surely might be.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    The two really don’t have anything to do with each other. Much like you can’t just shoot a peeping Tom dead for trespassing in your yard, as tempting as it surely might be.

Unmanned aircraft do not have the same rights as people. It really comes down to whether someone is using the drone to harass or intrude versus a legitimate use (real estate, etc.). Even a child or teenager being, well a teenager would be treated different.

Like I said, asking permission first would go a long way to not being treated as a Peeping Tom or an intentional harassment.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Unmanned aircraft do not have the same rights as people.

A helicopter doesn't have rights (in the sense you're using that word), either. Neither does a Cessna. And the FAA makes no distinction between aircraft where the operator is onboard or the operator is remote. The FAA treats a drone just like it does a medivac helicopter or a 747. I'm telling you this so that you understand the legal jeopardy that can come with shooting at any of them. That doesn't mean the local sheriff is going to call the FAA if shoot up a remote aircraft being obnoxiously used. But the feds could wander in weeks later and make a stink, completely without regard to the intent or actions of the drone's operator. It's important to know that, which is why I brought it up.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Did not want to start another drone tread .

My two welders were in a customers yard working (about 2 acres) and see a drone ...Seems the customers safety guy flys it around so he don't have to walk around and get his shoes muddy . I need to raise my rates for these type clients . SMH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom