• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    After years of looking for the right spot, I just closed on this beautiful 20 acre property in Mineral County, WV. It has electric, a well, and a pretty nice hunting shed on it. It also backs to 800 acres of a wildlife preserve. Unfortunately, I have no cell signal up there. My wife insists on me being reachable and having the ability to reach someone in case of emergency. I am looking at cell signal boosters. I did a tower search online and all of the towers are either AT&T or US Cellular. I have Verizon. If I end up getting the cell signal booster and point the antenna at any of those towers, will my verizon signal be boosted? It may sound like a stupid question to some but before I fork out $400 for it, I want to make sure it will work. Thanks in advance.

Pics of the hunting shed and the view from it. :D

Attachments

• IMG_2534.jpg
      IMG_2534.jpg
      103.6 KB · Views: 1,701
    • IMG_2536.jpg
      IMG_2536.jpg
      163.5 KB · Views: 1,696

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Beautiful place! Not sure about the cell booster. I use a Garmin GPSMAP66I for my backcountry adventures. Satellite messaging, SOS button for emergencies and some other features, in addition to navigation. I have the lowest cost messaging plan, as I just use it for SOS functions.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Your best bet for the money is to buy a pre-paid AT&T Go Phone (you can get a smart phone with GPS etc for $50 at Walmart) and a pre-paid sim card for however many hours you want. Then, turn the sucker off and leave it off until you're ready to head out there, just make sure it's got a full charge before you leave.

AT&T is the way to go in WV. When I run ASP trips there, or go visit family, I have signal when everyone else is dead in the water.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Your best bet for the money is to buy a pre-paid AT&T Go Phone (you can get a smart phone with GPS etc for $50 at Walmart) and a pre-paid sim card for however many hours you want. Then, turn the sucker off and leave it off until you're ready to head out there, just make sure it's got a full charge before you leave.

AT&T is the way to go in WV. When I run ASP trips there, or go visit family, I have signal when everyone else is dead in the water.

NICE & Congrats!!
    Why not just get a cheap At&T voice and text cheap pay-as-you-go plan??

This. No real reason to drop $400 on a booster if another carrier has coverage in the area.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    For what it's worth my wife has AT&T and I have Verizon. We have both been without service in quite a few places in WV, so AT&T might be better, but you might still be without. Wouldn't hurt trying a burner if you really wanted to still to cell phones.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Beautiful place! Not sure about the cell booster. I use a Garmin GPSMAP66I for my backcountry adventures. Satellite messaging, SOS button for emergencies and some other features, in addition to navigation. I have the lowest cost messaging plan, as I just use it for SOS functions.

Thank you. I will look into that.

Thanks. I looked into US Cellular and their pre-paid plans are $50/month. The cell booster is a one time $400 price tag. I will look into AT&T.

The correct answer is to sell the property to someone who has an AT&T plan. :innocent0

:lol2:

Beautiful R. I am so jealous! Enjoy!

I'm building a range in the next 2 months. Be on a look out for an invite once it is done :party29:

Awesome. Congrats!

Thank you!

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Beautiful place. Just tell them you are in the no electronics/cell zone of WV. (Forget what it's called.) I mean isn't that why you got the place? To be left alone?

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    Congratulations. Got yourself a piece of heaven and didn't even have to leave here yet. :) I quit drinking some years ago, but if I had that view, I'd have to drink a few cold ones and just stare at it.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Beautiful place. Just tell them you are in the no electronics/cell zone of WV. (Forget what it's called.) I mean isn't that why you got the place? To be left alone?

Thank you. Yes, I love to be out in the woods, I love to hunt. My wife has never once called me when I was out hunting. However, she always knew that if an emergency came up, she could get a hold of me. The fact that she can’t now has her panicking a bit.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Congratulations. Got yourself a piece of heaven and didn't even have to leave here yet. :) I quit drinking some years ago, but if I had that view, I'd have to drink a few cold ones and just stare at it.

Thank you. I hear you. I’m planning a guys weekend up there. Do some work on the place then have some drinks. :party29:

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Very nice! May I ask how you found it? Is there a real estate agency that specializes in this sort of properties?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom