• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTERP

Sep 26, 2009
    Hi all, my name is Josh. I am a graduate of UMD and a relatively new 2nd Lieutenant in the Marines.

I have about 6 months until I need to report to TBS in Quantico (next step in training for new officers like myself) and I thought I might take this time to get better acquainted with some of the weapons I will be tested on when I get there. I am looking at ARs and Beretta 92s, and I've got a few questions about purchasing and shooting them.

I've been to mdgunsafety.com and taken the online safety course. However, they seem to stress that this step is Only one of the requirements towards purchasing a firearm in Md. But I can't seem to find a list of the others. If anyone can provide a quick answer here, that would be much appreciated. Otherwise I'll try to find the answer elsewhere.

Also, is there a local shop that might have a decent selection of ARs in stock?

Thanks.

Josh

extski

Aug 6, 2009
    Pasadena
    However, they seem to stress that this step is Only one of the requirements towards purchasing a firearm in Md.

Hi, welcome, and thank you for your service.

I'm new to firearms and all I did was take the online safety course, printed out my certification (also mailed in the forms), and used the certificate I printed out on my home printer and was able to purchase a handgun. Nothing else was required (other than photo ID). The other requirements they are referring to I'm assuming are that you just don't have a criminal record, of sane mind, etc. and meet the background check, etc.

I'm sure someone will elaborate and correct me if I'm wrong, but just letting you know what happened in my case.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Welcome Jarhead, congrats on the butter bars! Good luck in your tour.

The next steps are to be done at the shop you are purchasing from, which is a bunch of paperwork for the purchase of a regulated weapon in Maryland. Not a big deal and the dealer will walk you through it.

Sep 16, 2009
    Welcome! The Gun Rack in Burtonsville usually has a good selection of AR's especially Bushmasters.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    God, don't buy "regulated" weapons here unless you want late night visits from the MDSP.

Wait until you can establish residency in Va. and buy them there. Then if you must return you don't have to involuntarily register them.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    God, don't buy "regulated" weapons here unless you want late night visits from the MDSP.

Wait until you can establish residency in Va. and buy them there. Then if you must return you don't have to involuntarily register them.

Good advice. :thumbsup:

JTERP

Sep 26, 2009
    Welcome Marine.
    Remember that there 2 things you must never trust.
    1. A private with a loaded weapon
    2. A lieutenant with a map.
    Semper Fi :innocent0

:lol: I like that one. Luckily it doesn't say anything about a lieutenant with a loaded weapon!

really? Can you be more specific?

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Welcome, Marine, from an old squid.

"A Marine should be sworn to the patient endurance of hardships, like the ancient knights; and it is not the least of these necessary hardships to have to serve with sailors."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom